My latest success story (Gym)

Options
It has been a while since I posted one of these but this one is special because to me, it's a biggy...

My biggest regret was the removal of the cartilage from my right knee a few years ago. My running and treadmill workouts have taken its toll and I'm no longer able to run more than 20 minutes before it gets really painful. As such I've had to pretty much retire all outside and inside running. Now many of you know me as someone who won't let anything stop me so instead of getting moody and depressed I've focused all my energy on pushing myself harder and harder on the Elliptical (cross) trainer which causes me no knee pain.

Before I stopped running I had a personal best of 10k in 49 minutes so I've been working on beating that on the Elliptical...but it would be waaaaaaaaay too easy to just do it on a normal setting so I've been attempting it using the "hill" setting with a resistance level of 11. Tonight I did the 10k in....wait for it..... 41 minutes, 57 seconds :noway:

I've managed to shave off a whopping 7 minutes, 3 seconds on a much harder, high intensity setting.

I'm still in shock I've done it in that time...and the girl on the machine next to me must have been wondering what the insane guy next to her was trying to achieve (other than a heart attack) going hell for leather for 42 minutes :laugh:

So... I must be able to go faster because my heart rate monitor never went over 150 so I'm obviously slacking and there is more work to be done hehehe :laugh:

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow! This is great! Congratulations on such a great 10k time.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's pretty cool. Yeah I notice a similar thing with my heart rate when doing the elliptical vs running. When I'm running, I can easily get that rate to climb up into the 170s, and if I sprint for a long enough distance I can get up to about 185, but on the elliptical, I could be pushing myself to the max on the max resistance on that thing and not get much higher than 154 or so. Funny how that works.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    My gym was closed for 3 weeks so I couldn't do anything and the first time back last week I was in the 180's and it's taken me a week to bring it back down to previous levels.

It really doesn't take long for our bodies to get used to doing nothing which is why regular exercise is so important.
  • WannaBHottyMommy
    WannaBHottyMommy Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hot Damn! that is fantastic!!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    That is GREAT! I'm jealous! I can run all day long but the elliptical kicks my tail!!! Congrats!!! AND QUIT SLACKIN! :laugh:

You're absolutely right....it takes NO time what-so-ever for our bodies to get lazy and used to doing nothing. Just lay off for a week and I promise you'll see a difference when you go back...and not for the better. All the more reason to keep at it! :wink:
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    You are really fantastic Simon! That is freakishly amazing though! So well done :happy: I'm sure you'll beat that in a week or so too. :laugh:
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    You are really fantastic Simon! That is freakishly amazing though! So well done :happy: I'm sure you'll beat that in a week or so too. :laugh:
  • Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good work Simon, well done! :smile:
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    That's amazing Simon!!

You are determination personified - or should that be you are a 'deTERMINATOR' ?.......

I havent done a 10k per se on the elliptical - my gym the cross trainers stop at 20mins (+ five 'cool down' mins) - but am pretty sure there's no way i could match that in any case on the flat never mind the hill lol... I can picture the bemused other gym members all right wondering what the heck is the maniac doing tonight :-)

I would say 'Keep it going' but that p.b. might last for a while, i can see you doing half-marathons on the things next...

With you doing this, Gail rowing 2.5k in 10 mins and Reanna nailing the P90X, i'm not short of inspiration from my MFP buds!

Kenny
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Hello Simon,
    I am so proud of you!!! Great going - you never give up!!:bigsmile:
    Gail xxx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!