low or no carbs

Options

Replies

• Zero2hero2013
    Options
    i am currently in ketosis and i am only doing this as previous to this my hunger was high. i have just switched from 3500/4000 calories daily to around 2000 + exercise. and i find that low carb helps surpress hunger. i plan on re introducing carbs over a period of a month and maintain a lower carb intake probably arounnd 100g a day. i think it has its place but needs to be fully understood and adhered to.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I did no carb for 3 days when I started to get serious about weight loss again, it was great i loss a few pounds but really it got my energy up and got me motivated, now Im back to low calorie. It is great for a jump start but it is something that at least for me would be very difficult to keep up long term.
  • gailowens75
    gailowens75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No diet is no carb, fruit and veg are carbs. I haven't eaten starch carbs for over a year. I have been 80% paleo and have never felt better! I lost 119lb on paleo.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do make sure you'e taking your measurements and not just looking at the scale. It can deceive you.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    No diet is no carb, fruit and veg are carbs. I haven't eaten starch carbs for over a year. I have been 80% paleo and have never felt better! I lost 119lb on paleo.

Did you lose it because of Paleo or because you started eating better and exercising? Not trying to be a jerk, but I'm guessing there was more than one variable changed when you began your weight loss.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    1) You cannot functionally do no carbs.

2) Why do something you can't or won't maintain?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    This. Keto is a great sustainable option.

Keto is not sustainable and should not be done for more than a week, maybe two.

Keto is quite sustainable and is often used long term for epilepsy and insulin-resistant people. Ive been on it for much longer than two weeks and have found it more satisfying than plain low carb.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    You could look into keto. A lot of people have had success with it.

Here's some info about it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

this
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Keto is quite sustainable and is often used long term for epilepsy and insulin-resistant people. Ive been on it for much longer than two weeks and have found it more satisfying than plain low carb.

this
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    For the most part I cut out processed carbs, most pasta, white starchy vegetables (except occasionally buttered movie popcorn), processed sugar.
    I stopped trying to hit a specific gram target and instead keep the percentage target at 20%. When I go over this percentage, even when total cals is at or below target, weight loss slows.
    Since I was prediabetic before change how I ate, I have no interest in ever going back to 30+% carb calories.
    Everyone is different. Your body will let you know what you need.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    A no carb diet would be the worst idea ever. I doubt you would live longer than 40 days on that one. Your body needs some carbs. Just stick to low carbs. You can always tweak your numbers to suit yourself. Start at the lowest you feel comfortable, and if it feels bad then increase in small amounts until you find your right amount.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Go no carb and die of constipation.

True statement. I did low carb (under 20 g a day) for two weeks about a month ago. I lost 8 lbs but gained 2 back so I quit. Basically, it was hell and it isn't worth it. Low cal is as good if not better for dropping lbs.

Depends on the person. I'm not sure why but I've been on diets from one end of the spectrum to the other and none of them, not low fat, not high fat, ever caused constipation.

And as long as you follow the plan they all work for weight/fat loss and going back to old habits will result in gaining the weight back. The plan you can stick with & that fits your lifestyle is going to be the one that gives the best results.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I dont tend to sustain it as a lifestyle change. But i am peri- menopausal so my body wants to hold onto any fat and store it round my middle, i just want to get my body to use what is already stored and then sustain it.

I'm in the same boat - peri-menopausal and storing fat in the mid-section. I kept my delicious carbs... but started hitting the weights harder, less cardio more strength training. I'm getting results!
  • PRock
    PRock Posts: 4
    Options
    Completely and utterly unnecessary to cut out or even be on low carbs. You will not be able to maintain after cutting via low carb because you will damage your metabolism and a normal amount of food will seem like a surplus to your body.
    You just need a calorie deficit whilst hitting minimum range on all your protein and fat and get the rest from carbs. also using a percentage of total cals to calculate is so out of date.
    i dont like using anecdotal evidence but i have used every low carb, atkins keto rubbish for 10 years, The last 2 years iv done real research and learned how ridiculous some of this stuff was, and for anyone saying they've lost weight doing it.... yes but that is because you would of clearly been in a caloric deficit (real reason for any fat loss) i have just finished a cut where i ended up eating 180 protein/250 carbs/50 fat per day. a pretty low amount of calories for me 2170 but still a lot healthier iv seen and performance was maintained til the end where i was genuinely sub 9% body fat.
    SAY YES TO CARBS :D
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Keto is not sustainable for people without those medical issues. You should research more on how the body creates glucose on long term keto.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Completely and utterly unnecessary to cut out or even be on low carbs. You will not be able to maintain after cutting via low carb because you will damage your metabolism and a normal amount of food will seem like a surplus to your body.
    You just need a calorie deficit whilst hitting minimum range on all your protein and fat and get the rest from carbs. also using a percentage of total cals to calculate is so out of date.
    i dont like using anecdotal evidence but i have used every low carb, atkins keto rubbish for 10 years, The last 2 years iv done real research and learned how ridiculous some of this stuff was, and for anyone saying they've lost weight doing it.... yes but that is because you would of clearly been in a caloric deficit (real reason for any fat loss) i have just finished a cut where i ended up eating 180 protein/250 carbs/50 fat per day. a pretty low amount of calories for me 2170 but still a lot healthier iv seen and performance was maintained til the end where i was genuinely sub 9% body fat.
    SAY YES TO CARBS :D

Could you plz be more specific to what kind of carbs it is you are consuming? I am very curious
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Keto is not sustainable for people without those medical issues. You should research more on how the body creates glucose on long term keto.

I have done research, thanks. It is sustainable.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Bad carbs are no good..But carbs from good sources = fuel for your body , protein for sustaining muscle mass ..., cut any excess sugars and alcohol as it is a high contributer to belly fat, make sure your fats are healthy fats, manage your macros ...

I agree with this.

IMO- Carbs are not the enemy, but you might want to cut out the starchy ones and keep to green leafy, non starchy vegetables and berries. Reduce processed foods and sugar. If you are doing a lot of cardio, have a starchy carb with breakfast, or the meal after your workout and have lots of veggies for the rest of the day. If you are close to your goal, keep a smaller cut from TDEE.

Eat protein at every meal, drink lots of water. Don't be hungry, protein and non starchy veggies and good fats, will keep you full. I eat approx equal percentages of carb, protein, fat over the week.

Include walking, some HIIT and overhead or shoulder presses into your workout and your waist will get smaller. At least, mine did.

Best wishes.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do low carb...my body hates carbs. I keep it around 150g a day. Read up on carb cycling to give yourself a good idea of what's going on. I really like "carb nite solution", it was an easy read.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    "No" carb is completely impossible unless you plan on eating no vegetables, ever. Which you should most certainly not do. That said, I low carb and I've found it keeps me more focused on my protein and getting the small amount of carbs I DO eat from veggies and low carb fruit, and since those things are naturally lower in calories than pasta, bread, etc, I consistently eat at a deficit. It's just an easier deficit management for me. I have no illusions about it being better for fat loss. My body just hates starch and it keeps life simple. Best of luck! :)