My Calves Hurt

Options
Every time I start the 30 Day Shred, something happens to me after jumping jacks: my calves lock up and I can't jump rope. I stretch the crap outta my calves, but obviously not enough. I do calf exercises, then stretch them out, I stretch them out after cardio, I stretch them during yoga. I hold my stretches for quite a while, too. It's not quick. I will hold them awhile then lift up a few seconds, then back to the stretch, deepening it sometimes. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    My Calves Hurt

Well now your back is going to hurt, cause you just pulled landscaping duty! ... Anyone else calves hurt? .... I didn't think so!

All happy gilmore jokes aside

Drink more water, eat some banana, sleep, take a hot bath, and stretch.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Calf cramps can be a sign of low potassium, so banana might help.

Also, you might try doing the lower-impact "step-touch" version of jumping jacks-- instead of jumping with both legs out and in, keep one leg stationary, and then touch out to the side with the one leg, alternating legs with each touch or each set.

Then once your calves are adjusted to that, try light jumping for half and step-touches for the other half of your workout set--and over a few workouts gradually increasing the percent of jumping versus step-touching.
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Calf cramps can be a sign of low potassium, so banana might help.

Also, you might try doing the lower-impact "step-touch" version of jumping jacks-- instead of jumping with both legs out and in, keep one leg stationary, and then touch out to the side with the one leg, alternating legs with each touch or each set.

Then once your calves are adjusted to that, try light jumping for half and step-touches for the other half of your workout set--and over a few workouts gradually increasing the percent of jumping versus step-touching.

I like this idea. Thank you.
  • hilldiggity
    Options
    My Calves Hurt

Well now your back is going to hurt, cause you just pulled landscaping duty! ... Anyone else calves hurt? .... I didn't think so!

All happy gilmore jokes aside

Drink more water, eat some banana, sleep, take a hot bath, and stretch.

Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck!
  • tabriz281
    Options
    I had this, too. It was so bad I almost couldn't walk. I hobbled around for a week before they stopped cramping. I might try again, without the jumping.
  • hilldiggity
    Options
    I had this, too. It was so bad I almost couldn't walk. I hobbled around for a week before they stopped cramping. I might try again, without the jumping.

As soon as I stop the jumping, the pain stops. It's like I have bricks in my calves all of the sudden and I Just.Can't.Do.It.

Now that I think about it, I have been able to do the jumping, but NOT right after jumping jacks like on 30DS. I think it just might be some sort of overload after the jacks. And I definitely can't do the butt kickers.

Perhaps I should just stick to the videos I *can* do, and not worry about this one that is causing me problems. I've been focused on it because so many people have or are doing it and I wanted to join in.

But I do think for an extra step, i'll use the foam roller on my calves. Couldn't hurt! :smile:
  • JudyB21
    JudyB21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Definitely use foam roller!! I have (had) very tight calves which caused me other problems while running (shins etc...). Since using foam roller 2-3 times per week I have had no real issues. I would recommend getting someone to show you how to use the foam roller properly. I did a class and now use it for lots of other areas to loosen tight muscles. good luck :)