Any good basic BUDGET curry recipes?

Options
2»

Replies

• UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Silly me, I've been doing it wrong all these years :laugh: I'm aware that roasting and grinding spices fresh each time is supposed to be better, I don't always have time or the inclination. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I understand a mixture too heavy with tumeric makes a bitter blend. Since my curries are tempered with other flavors, (coconut milk, tomato, green seasoning, etc) I've never found chief curry powder off putting enough to grind my own.

Well it's more because curry powder is something that was made up by the Brits, it's not an Indian thing - we just use spices separately for authentic Indian food & isn't the same spices anyway. You don't need to roast & grind each time - I make them and store them in spice jars for years, or just buy the spices at an indian store. It's more to get the actual flavoring you want rather than using a pre-made mix you know? If you just want some vaguely Indian tasting dish, use away - but if you want actual Indian food you need the spices. It's kind of akin to using some random "stir fry sauce" or something instead of making your own - premade stuff is for inauthentic food ya know? And curry powder is misleading since people think hey you just add that to anything and you have "curry" lol.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    my wife makes the most basic curry. we use chicken breast but you could probably use any meat.

just brown the meat. add enough cream to be a good amount of sauce, curry powder and fruit chutney. then let it simmer down and adjust quantities of curry/chutney to your taste.

done.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Using lentils and rice:

cook the lentils and rice in one pot (boil for 20 mins, don't let them dry out)

cook a curry sauce in the other, with the following:

curry paste (you can look up online for how to make your own if it's cheaper than buying a shop one) OR oil and curry powder
    onions
    garlic
    whatever veg you like
    tomato puree
    vinegar or lemon juice

fry the onions, garlic and paste (or oil and curry powder, you need enough oil so the spices come together in a paste) - add the veg, tomato puree and vinegar/lemon juice and cook until the veg is cooked

when the rice and lentils are done, stir the sauce through the rice and lentils. Adjust the quantities so you get the right proportion of sauce to lentils, i.e. enough for the colour and flavour of rhe sauce spread through the lentils adequately.

This actually tastes better reheated the next day and it's filling, so it's easy to make batches of it and store it in containers in the fridge or freezer.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    also, the same sauce recipe I already posted can be adapted to make other curries, by adding the protein, e.g. meat, fish (a kind that will survive being in curry, prawns, egg (boil them, then cut into chunks and stir in the curry), baked beans (just pour a tin of them into it) - you can even add tuna mayonnaise, and it goes really well for a creamy tuna curry

if you're cooking meat from raw, then put it in right at the beginning when you cook the garlic, onions and paste, and ensure it's cooked for long enough to be cooked through. If you're using precooked meat (I usually keep boiled chicken breasts in the fridge for a protein food I can just grab for salads and sandwiches) then cut it into the right sized pieces and stir it through at the end.

many, many variations...
  • MadamUnique
    MadamUnique Posts: 173
    Options
    Sorry on the late reply, but thank you! I get my money on Friday and I'm defo going to attempt these! Thank you ♥
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I've been craving curry lately and have some new ideas here. Lentils are a big favorite, they're tasty and cheap. Here's what I'm having for lunch today:

http://www.food.com/recipe/egyptian-red-lentil-soup-94673
  • mindygeske
    mindygeske Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My go-to recipe is pretty affordable, if you can get fish sauce and Mae Ploy from an Asian market where the prices are lower.

Combine crunchy peanut butter, mae ploy, (sweet chili sauce) a dash of fish sauce, fresh minced garlic, and curry powder. Whisk until mixture becomes a paste, or add a bit of water to make sauce. When I run out of curry powder I do it the longer way and use a combination of spices (someone listed them above.) If your curry powder doesn't have much spice you might want to add some sriracha or red chili. Makes a great simmering sauce for chicken and veggies. Add a squeeze of lime right before eating.

I change the proportions a little every time depending on what flavor and consistency I'm going for. (Fish sauce is really the only thing you can overdo) Mae Ploy has a lot of sugar so I try not to go too crazy with it. This is also tasty with coconut milk, but then you have to up all the spices to keep it flavorful.
  • Sierrasdawn2
    Sierrasdawn2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump..yum yum yum
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    One of my fave curries has just the spices mentioned (onions, ginger, garlic and chilli) add potatoes and some wilted spinach which I'm HOPING will be in budget and a lovely sag aloo appears (think thats it anyway) or alternatively Tarka Dall is just the same basic spices with Lentils ( I use plain red ones because I like them but you can get real Dall lentils whic MAY need soaking)
    Just an idea, good luck.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just threw together a good curry the other day, and it's vegan too (crazy stuff!).
    This is kind of a thai red curry, but really it was just me fooling around in the kitchen and ending up with something good

1 can of garbonzo beans (or save money with dry ones. just make sure you soak the beans overnight in water with a pinch of baking soda, rinse, then cook them, fully covered, at a simmer with a pinch of baking soda until desired consistency).
    1 can of coconut milk (you can use light, but I did full fat and darn it, it was good)
    2 shallots (lightly sauteed)
    half of a red bell pepper (lightly sauteed)
    clove of garlic
    maybe a cup of vegetable broth
    brown rice (cooked)
    salt
    sugar to taste
    maybe 2 tsp red curry powder (gently toasted in oil, very much to taste)

saute your shallots, red peppers, garlic and red curry powder in some oil (don't go crazy with it)
    throw some salt in there, throw your vegetable stock in there, follow up with your coconut milk and your cooked rice. Finish the dish with salt to taste and a touch of sugar (I used a tbs). If you need more red curry powder in there just toast a little bit more in some oil and volia! Curry on a budget! Add heat with cayenne if that's how you like it, add veggies if you want them (i just had my wisdom teeth out so I needed less chewing)

Assuming you have the basics in your kitchen, you probably spent 4 dollars on a meal that lasted me three days.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bumptastic
  • Supershop2mom
    Supershop2mom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    thank you for the link
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Tarka Dal

lentils, onion, spices (garlic, ginger, cumin, corriander, chilli), stock, few chopped tomatoes. Bung in saucepan. Cook until lentils are soft. In a frying pan heat up 1tsp oil with cumin seeds, corriander seeds, fresh garlic and mustard seeds. Bung in saucepan. Mix. Eat. Done!
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live you may be able to get hold of boxed spice mixes, I get these from a local indian owned shop (has lots of cultural foods there) these boxes have the spices needed in one value box and last for ages: I get onion and tomatoes chop and fry them, add the spices, can of chopped tomatoes, some pre-soaked chick-peas and some spinach... job done costs very little you can freeze it if you make a load - you can add anything you want, thats just my choice as I love chickpeas and spinach... the great thing about curry (same with stew) you can add whatever you fancy to it I LOVE a vegetable balti go to the market get a load of cheap vegetables and whack the lot in and freeze the rest :)
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    To make a low cost curry, just use beans/ pulses, cooked from dried for lower cost than canned.
    No meat is necessary.
    Buy a lot of delicious vegetables and dice them up.
    Brown your garlic onion and ginger, add dried spices.
    Add vegetables and prepared beans/ pulses of your choice.
    A can of tomatoes to make sauce.
    Simmer . Serve over rice if you want to stretch the meal for another day.
    You can't mess it up!