When does the workout stop?

Options
I'm using a HRM and wanted to know if there was a good rule to follow as to when to when the workout is technically over.

If I run 30 minutes, and my HRM has me at 167 BMP while I'm running (I'm working on improving that), if I keep the HRM on when I'm done running, it'll tell me that I'm at, say 128 at the 15th minute (3 minutes after I've stopped running) and 102 at 40 minutes. My "target zone" apparently starts at 118 and my basic resting zone (sitting on the couch) is in the low 60's.

So, do I stop the working at 15 minutes when I stop running?
At 35 minutes when my HRM has dropped a bit?
Somewhere between 35 & 40, as I get near the bottom of my "target" zone?

Thanks!

Edited to change my example from 15 minutes of activity to 30 minutes of activity...

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Stop when you stop running. The issues isn't what your heart rate is, it's how indicative your heart rate is of your activity. If you're not being activity, don't measure it.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    For me, when I run (outside or treadmill) I give myself a cool down period: 2minutes on the treadmill, about 1/4 mile or so if I'm outside. I keep my HRM going until I'm done with my cooldown
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Stop when you stop running. The issues isn't what your heart rate is, it's how indicative your heart rate is of your activity. If you're not being activity, don't measure it.

agreed.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    When your feet stop moving and you're no longer exercising.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think you're splitting hairs at this point. I stop when I'm done working out, this includes a minute or two get my heart rate out of the anaerobic zone and lower into the aerobic zone (for me, thats from 160 + to somewhere in the low 140s).

ETA: I don't think that's clear. Meaning, my workout includes a 1-2 min. active cooldown. My HRM is on for that, but the minute I step off the treadmill or back in the house, the HRM is stopped.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    you should get your HR up and keep it up for at least 20 mins.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    For me, when I run (outside or treadmill) I give myself a cool down period: 2minutes on the treadmill, about 1/4 mile or so if I'm outside. I keep my HRM going until I'm done with my cooldown

This is what I do as well.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the treadmill, I start as soon as I put my foot on and stop as soon as I take my foot off.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

I agree with this
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options

YES!
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    After the cooldown. Once my heart heart is below my "Zone", it stop it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Am I tracking just the time I'm working out or am I tracking the time it takes my heart to get back down to a non-exercise range? Does the "recovery" period that it takes to go from 167 BPM back down to my normal / resting / working at my desk rate count or am I solely focusing on just the time that I'm engaged in activity?

The consensus so far seems to be either to only count the time I'm jogging or to count jogging time plus a minute or two to cool down, even if my HR is still >100 BPM.

(Thanks for all of the great responses btw)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

only count the time I'm jogging
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Am I tracking just the time I'm working out or am I tracking the time it takes my heart to get back down to a non-exercise range? Does the "recovery" period that it takes to go from 167 BPM back down to my normal / resting / working at my desk rate count or am I solely focusing on just the time that I'm engaged in activity?

The consensus so far seems to be either to only count the time I'm jogging or to count jogging time plus a minute or two to cool down, even if my HR is still >100 BPM.

(Thanks for all of the great responses btw)

That's pretty much my point. It's over when it's over. If you have to ask "am I still working out", you are no longer working out so stop tracking
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i personally count my warm ups but not the cool downs since the my point of cooling down isn't necessarily working out
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Stop when you stop. If you're burning any more after that, consider it gravy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your calorie burn isn't based on your HR per sei...a HRM just uses your HR as part of the equation to estimate how much oxygen your muscles are using and thus calorie burn. It is programmed to assume you are actually performing an aerobic exercise and burning oxygen with multiple large muscle groups...once you stop, the burn you get is no longer accurate.

I have hypertension and used to have a pretty high resting HR until I got into better shape...I left my HRM on for an entire 8 hours once and it told me I burned 4,000 calories...not accurate in the least...only accurate (relatively so) for an aerobic event.