Worst step class ever!

Options
Hello everybody!

Yesterday I took some me time to try out another gym, I’m a huge fan of step workouts and I decided to try their class.

This was like a total waste of time, the instructor in this gym is, in my opinion, horrible!
She started class like 15 min late.
Then I noticed that she doesn’t use her arms while moving, correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this extremely important? The more muscles you use, the more calories you’ll burn and also it will do some toning for your arms as well.

She kept stopping to change the music, honestly who cares about the music! I just want to workout!
I come from a dancing background and I’m so used to do the movements both sides (right and left) which I think is important not to put all the stress in only one leg. Which she didn't do at all!
She was more concerned about how fancy her choreography was than the actual workout, the worst part was only one of the students could actually follow her, and she couldn’t care less that the rest of us were tripping with our own feet!
I used to work as a dance instructor, and I always changed the combinations to easier ones if the students where not following me and eventually we would build up to them.

I never quit the class before it ends no matter how bad I’m doing but I felt like I was doing my own thing and she was in her own little world dancing around the step with complicated and unpredictable patterns.

My last step teacher would also remind us all the time that posture is key to train your abs as well, and to keep breathing,

If there’s some instructors or step lovers out there I would love to hear your opinions, am I just being picky or what?

Replies

• LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Please report her. I'm sure that there was at least one person in that class who will think about giving up on exercise because she thinks she can't do it rather than the instructor was COMPLETELY lame-o!
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should report her to the Gym's Management.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    At least you're not a member of that gym. If you do go back, see if there are other instructors available.
  • Kimd1972
    Kimd1972 Posts: 45
    Options
    I am a BodyStep instructor and let me first apologize on behalf on this instructor. My question is about certification. I wonder if she is certified and who it's through? She does not sound like she is. Yes, you are suppose to use your arms - it gets 20% more calories out. You are suppose to work both sides of the body. You are suppose to give safety cues and show lower options for more complicated moves.

Again, awful experience for you! Please regport her to someone at the gym - this is not acceptable!

I am utterly embarrassed!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    wow...are you sure she was qualified?

Sounds totally unprofessional to me...:mad:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've also had this happen before... and also the other end of the stick where they get you to do literally the same thing for 45mins. If I wanted to do that I would go running on the treadmill, or better still running outside and save my money!!

:flowerforyou:
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I agree with some of the others.........you should report it to management. Maybe if they know they could be losing potential customers due to her lack of experience/enthusiasm of what ever you want to call it, they will be more likely to hire instructors who are motivating, qualified, and make people want to come back for more!
  • MColette
    MColette Posts: 62
    Options
    I think you are right guys, I should report her to the club manager.
    I don't think she is qualified to teach a step class, I wonder if she has any qualifications at all in the fitness area! :huh:
    No wonder there was only 6 of us in the class, mostly new students..

I will stick to my old gym, with way better instructors :wink:
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    HI! I agree with everyone on this. If you don't report it, and know one else reports it, its not going to change. whether she's qualified or not really isn't the issue on this. I' am an instructor and taught for 20 years before I took a break because of medical problems. with my weight loss and physical shape now, I'm back to teaching. I don't get certified til September, but I've got 20 years experience behind me. I've taken a couple classes by instructors who seriously had no rythmne at all!lol j Drove me crazy!! I try to teach more difficult steps with repitition. I also do not put any difficult steps into a routine until I see what my class can handle. You always have a couple who can keep up and a couple who can't. Its best to try to find an even balance, but like you said, your there for the aerobic activity and not the music or difficult stepping! I would personally rather be told if my class was to difficult or hard to follow than to lose participants. Good luck with it!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have been doing step aerobics since the beginning of Nov 2009, twice a week, and Kimd1972 is one of my instructors (earlier post in this thread). I LOVE LOVE LOVE how she and the other instructor work together and push you hard. They are also reminding you "Remember to breathe," "keep your abs tight," "don't let your chin touch your chest" (when doing ab crunches), "make sure your whole foot is on the step," and they are ALWAYS telling you the next move right before it happens. I absolutely love it! The instructor you encountered sounded like she was just there for her own personal benefit and didn't care if anyone else got anything out of it.