Worried about excess skin

Options
I just join MFP yesterday and I am excited about losing weight- I am just afraid of the whole stretch marks and excess skin. I have a lot of weight to lose and I don't think I can afford plastic surgery anytime so soon, so this aspect of the weight loss frightens me. I know there are not guarentees but I wanted to know if there is anything can be done to help reduce it. :ohwell:

Replies

• KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Loose/excess skin doesn't happen to everyone. It is a fear I can't let go of either. I read somewhere (and if I find the link i'll post it here), that loose skin is mainly fat cells that aren't being used. It is more likely to happen when you are only watching what you're eating, but not burning the fat itself away also.

I think if you work on your core and strength training along with eating better, you should hopefully be fine. I know people who have the fear and start saving money just in case they need to get it fixed surgically.

Check out funeralformyfat.tumblr.com. Sharee has a link on the side talking about her tummy and thigh tuck. Her and her fiance saved up $16,000+ to get it done when she lost weight. She is in recovery right now and healing nicely.
  • j_ringsaker
    j_ringsaker Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's better than the alternative, I guess. I'm not looking forward to it either, but lifting weights and skin creams can help mitigate the issue.