Question about changing the number of calories!

Options
Hey guys! So, I started using MFP at 230 pounds, and I'm now around 209. I weigh in once a week, usually Saturday/Sunday. When I hit 220, MFP told me to reevaluate my calories, and took me from 1800/day to 1740/day, I believe. But when I hit below 210, it didn't do that. So I was wondering, should my calories have been set lower?

I usually end up eating 1300-1600/day. I eat when I'm hungry, and until I'm satisfied. I'm usually only hungry right before bed, but I try not to eat because I don't want to mindless snack like I used to. That's been my primary problem, and I think I'm doing pretty well so far.

I've lost the first 20 since the beginning of the year, I believe. I'm not totally sure where I started, but at the beginning of March I believe I was around 225 (that's when I bought the scale), and I'm now at 209.7 lb.

So, should my calories have been lowered? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • lbdavid98
    Options
    I really only use the MFP settings as a guideline for weightloss, there's a BMR calculator:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I put in my goal weight and figured out how many calories a day to maintain that weight then subtracted 200, I've been losing 2 lbs a week pretty consistently on that plan.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Just go into goals and re-do it and see if it changes. It doesn't always prompt you automatically for some reason.
  • ndwolfman
    ndwolfman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It doesn't always ask you to recheck. If you adjust what you want to lose weekly I found it changes your calories. For examlpe if you have it at 1 1/2 pounds a week change to 1 pound save it and then change it back to a 1 1/2 and save it again.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1300-1600 instead of the preset 1740, it would make much of a difference even if they were adjusted lower...right?
  • Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
  • juli_jones
    juli_jones Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

very good information - don't let it overwhelm you!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I really only use the MFP settings as a guideline for weightloss, there's a BMR calculator:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I put in my goal weight and figured out how many calories a day to maintain that weight then subtracted 200, I've been losing 2 lbs a week pretty consistently on that plan.

I realize you are losing weight and that's great but I'm concerned about your metabolism. If you did your figuring based on your GOAL weight then you should NOT subtract 200. The number of calories given for your goal weight is already less than what you need now, and should be what you intend to eat the rest of your life. If you are now eating at less than that, your metabolism will adjust for that and when you try to eat at maintenance you will gain weight. Not good. Just be careful and perhaps as you get close to your goal you should slowly start upping your calories to meet maintenance.

The general rule is to subtract 20% or 200 calories from the number of calories given (TDEE) based on your CURRENT weight.
  • KylieJordan16
    KylieJordan16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs since January & havn't changed my calorie goal yet! I currently eat around 1500 and find it super satisfying.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You can reset your calories whenever you want, but every 10 lbs is probably a good time to do it.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Sorry, went on a lunch break. I generally average more towards 1300 on days that I exercise, as in my net calories. I pretty much don't let myself go hungry unless I'm guessing that it's boredom hunger- a big problem for me. Or if I just ate, and my body thinks I'm hungry again, I generally try to wait an hour or so and see if I'm actually hungry.

My problem with the TDEE and all those methods is that they tell me to eat super high, like over 2000 calories. And I really can't eat that much. The only day I've eaten over 2000 since calorie counting was Easter, when I ate chips and dip and other junk food. I generally just eat lean, filling foods, and fruits and vegetables. And I never know which activity level to put. My job/school doesn't make me very active, and I'm generally just hanging out at home/doing errands otherwise, and then I try to work out 5 days/week.

I just don't want to keep losing weight and then stop because it never told me to lower the calories. I was just confused because it lowered my cals after the first 10 lb, but not the second. Thanks for the answers everyone!
  • OLeoLionessO
    Options
    I think if you consistently eat less than mfp tells you, just go for it. the more calories left is a good thing. i think the real challenge is eating around 1200 calories daily. I weigh about 20 lbs less and i feel like 1200 cals. are so hard to work with, i like have to do something active just to "loss weight". i hope you figure something out that works for ya. let me know! i need some tips and secrets
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

very good information - don't let it overwhelm you!!

This method...and you only evaluate when you more categories. Also, as someone else posted. If you only eat 1300-1600 most days, it probably doesn't matter as much. As long as your headed in the right direction, your doing fine.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    I think if you consistently eat less than mfp tells you, just go for it. the more calories left is a good thing. i think the real challenge is eating around 1200 calories daily. I weigh about 20 lbs less and i feel like 1200 cals. are so hard to work with, i like have to do something active just to "loss weight". i hope you figure something out that works for ya. let me know! i need some tips and secrets

Are you set for 2 lbs per week? Because 1200/day seems really low for your weight :( Maybe you should just try 1lb for week! It'd definitely be easier.