Eating in the Middle of the Night...help

Options
Does anyone have trouble waking up in the middle of the night and eating? I do well all day and then my calories get messed up when I do this but I am half asleep and having trouble stopping this. Any ideas to help me?

Replies

• newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump...HELP
  • PapillonKisses
    Options
    Does this seem like what is happening?
    http://www.m.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-related-eating-disorders

If so, you should see a doctor.
  • jessiwebb
    jessiwebb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What is your water intake every day? I try to drink a liter of water over an hour an hour before I go to sleep. It tends to trick my stomach into thinking its full. When is that last time you eat at night? I work afternoons (til 11pm), so I stop eating at 9pm which leaves me 3-4 hours of no food before bed (just the liter of water). The only instance I have found myself hungry when doing this was because the womanly thing was going on and, let's face it, I'm always hungry when that happens, lol.

What about leaving yourself calories for a light snack before bed? Almonds, blueberries, those chia seeds that puff in your stomach and make you feel full (never tried them, so don't take that as science).
  • Grimmox
    Grimmox Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't even think this is an eating disorder as much as it is everyone! lol
    If a cup of tea doesn't curb your hunger and you have to eat , eat protein.
    My suggestion is ideally a protein shake with fiber. Protein won't make you fat--and if you do a shake with added fiber it will do double duty--a) make you feel full, and b) move all that protein and food you consumed during the day out of your body
  • gaiagal3
    gaiagal3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband does this all the time LOL but isn't concerned about it. I've noticed I do it sometimes, too...and that (for me anyway) it's related to stress. At this point I keep a sugar free hard candy by my side of the bed and that works like a charm when I wake up hungry.
  • lynn413
    lynn413 Posts: 40
    Options
    I use to have this problem as well which resulted in part to my weight gain. I still do on occasion wake up hungry but drink water instead. For me it had to do with stress at first and then I think maybe my body was used to waking up at the same time (1:30) each night hungry. I fight it now!!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My husband does this and it makes me nervous because I'm always afraid he will choke. I would talk to your doctor. I never wake up hungry - only sleepy. :flowerforyou:
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    When I wake up in the middle of the night hungry I drink some herbal tea. I'm diabetic so I check my blood sugar level. If it is low ---under 80 then I will have a spoonful of peanut better or a strawberry or a piece of deli ham.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are eating enough during the day?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have trouble waking up in the middle of the night and eating? I do well all day and then my calories get messed up when I do this but I am half asleep and having trouble stopping this. Any ideas to help me?

Your diary is not open? that is your choice of course :-)

But IMO eating or waking up to want to eat in the night is not a good sign of eating enough during the day or that you do not have a good sleeping routine?
  • LoreneRN
    LoreneRN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just grab the peanut butter, usually one tablespoon is enough to make you feel like you have eaten something and enough protein to get you through the night.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just grab the peanut butter, usually one tablespoon is enough to make you feel like you have eaten something and enough protein to get you through the night.

Thanks, that's what I usually do, but it makes me feel so guilty just eating anything that late.