to all those marathon runners out there!

Options
My name is Kiersten. My goal is to run a half marathon October 10th of this year! I've always wanted to run a half marathon, but have always found excuses. This is my year to achieve my dream. I'm currently training by myself, but would love some motivation! I do run with a friend on Saturdays, which is amazing!
If you have experience on running, training, eating, etc, I'm up for suggestions. I'm not a good runner. I fought asthma as a kid and was a smoker and am a little overweight. With these things against me, I will fight even harder and my success story will be beautiful! <3
Thanks to all y'all who are getting your life back and making your dreams come true, you are an inspiration!

Replies

• exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Options
    Hello I ran a half marathon and it was a great accomplishment for me. I would suggest going on the net and looking for a training schedule for distance running. I got one from Nike.com. It was a pretty good schedule to follow.

I have a aunt who runs full marathons and she is much older than me....WOW. The advice she gave me was, never stop running to walk because its harder to start back up and dont drink water at every water station because you will crap up.

Good luck!
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I have a schedule that I'm using from a woman who is in her 70's and has run marathons almost all her life! I will check out Nike to make sure I'm on the right track! Thanks for the tips from your aunt! For you, what was the best thing about running that 1/2 marathon? What did you feel you accomplished? I feel like it's so emotional and mental more than it is physical.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 4th half marathon on October 17th (although 10/10 is a great day....it's my birthday :drinker: ). I'd google Hal Higdon's half marathon plans and look at his beginner plan. it's a good one for a first timer. I'm doing his intermediate this time around and I believe I start "officially training" the last week of July although i run about 20 +/- miles a week now.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm happy to cheer you on.

Lisa
  • Nory22
    Nory22 Posts: 7
    Options
    Wish you lived closer because I have been trying to train by myself running for a few years and can't seem to get any faster or more endurance. I am going to look into a running group for some support as I would love to do a half but so far I have been sticking to 5Ks. I know I should get up the courage to do a 10K! Good luck to you!
  • Kpatty
    Kpatty Posts: 41
    Options
    Hey nory22. I totally know how hard it is to push yourself when you're alone. I found that good music--usually punk, techno, or something with a good beat helps me to go beyond my limits! Also, there are usually groups that will train together for races...my friend just told me of some ladies who are training together for the 1/2 marathon I will be doing in October! (My fried is also my hairdresser, so she knows and talks with everyone!) Just ask around. Also, On "Losing it with Jillian" a lady wanted to do her first 5k but was scared. Jillian talked with the lady's boss and all the workers started running together! There is always help, motivation, and people wanting the same things you do...you just have to ask! Maybe you can get something started and a "running Group" event at a local fitness club(s)! I promise, they'll be people there who want to run! :)

I know that you can do a 10K...I'm facing obstacles myself...but God has given us what it takes to push through and make our dreams a success! Be my friend...I'd love to hear about how you're doing and what you're doing! Bless you!