A Bit of Advice, Please?

Options
I am really due a rest day. I haven't had one in well over a week, and I have been hitting it really hard every day. I was planning to take one today, but I took my daughter to Shoney's Breakfast Buffet after her doctor's appointment this morning and I WAY overdid it! I wound up with a 1200 calorie breakfast. If I don't work out today, I have a whopping 128 calories left for dinner and any snacks I eat this evening. As well, I am already over on both fat and carbs, but way under on protein. So... do I go to Zumba and then I'll have some exercise calories to eat back this evening? Or do I chalk it up to one bad day and not stress it?

Replies

• HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I wouldn't stress it. I don't always eat within my calories and I'm pretty steady on the weight loss. Everyone has their days! I hope you enjoyed your breakfast. Get back to your workout tomorrow, let your body take the break, you sound like you really were due one!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to eat 1328 calories a day anyway? You can (probably) eat much more than that and lose weight.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    take the rest day. have veg soup/salad for dinner
  • CandieCapps
    CandieCapps Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't stress. It seems the up and down of the calories help me to lose. If I have a day I go over I just try to do well the next couple of days to make up for it. Lesson learned on the expensive breakfast!

Keep up the good work.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    You could try having a light dinner that is all protein. You will still go over a little, but not that much. A 2 egg omlet with 2 slices of cheese, spinach and 1 serving of ham or turkey is less than 300 calories. Best part - no carbs.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If your body needs a break, your body needs a break. Squeezing in extra exercise every time bad eating happens can be a slippery slope to over training and/or disordered thinking. Chalk it up to a fun time with your daughter, eat a sesnsible dinner, skip the snacks and move on. So, you've eatin 1200 calories today? Nothing else so far? I'd say it's fine to go up to 1500 or 1600, even without exercise, for one day. My goal is to stay under 1500 eaten, I do try to make sure to net 1200 (I'm new to this system, I was using SparkPeople's ranges with exercise built in before). I know my BMR is somewhere around 1550-1600, s a 5'5" 127 pound female, so if you weigh the same or more at a similar height, you may not even actually create a surplus for today. And, even if you did, would it create a surplus for the week?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Dont sweat it, just eat a sensible dinner.

When is the last time you had a spike day? Just do not say screw it, the day is blown and over do it the rest of the day.

Trust me dear, resting is uber important.

We live and learn. Next time, make sure Shoneys is on a work out day.
  • jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would take your rest day and just eat a healthy dinner and not worry about going over your calories. As long as you don't over do it the rest of today with dinner and any snacks you will be fine. One day will not throw you totally off track as long as you do not see it as a free for all day or week as I used to do..lol.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to eat 1328 calories a day anyway? You can (probably) eat much more than that and lose weight.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

^THIS^

But, in those cases where it happens that you go completely overboard one day. Don't stress it. Chalk it up to one bad meal, try to eat right the rest of the day even though you'll go over your calorie count and just start over tomorrow. As long as that isn't something you do regularly, just take it as a lesson learned.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You could always do mild exercise-- a walk around the block or something like that-- if you're worried about it.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1650, and to be exact, my breakfast was 1322 calories. It was a late breakfast, so I didn't try to eat anything for lunch. I did have an Atkins granola bar for a snack. So I'm sitting at 1522 calories right now for the day. My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look. I wouldn't mind any additional feedback, as I've only been at this a couple of months.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Don't pee on an electric fence.

Sorry, didn't read the OP.
  • 2EggsSeparated
    Options
    Looking over your diary, you're netting about 800 or so calories a day. I should be eating more anyway.

If you are using the numbers MFP gives you, you should be eating your exercise calories back.
  • jmlosingit
    jmlosingit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think taking a "cheat" day is fine. You're aware of your calories, so eat a reasonable dinner.

Don't worry about it!!

I ate a bag of cheetos the other day and enjoyed every single bite (with out stressing about it, stressing about it is worse for your body Lol)! It's all about moderation!
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm going to take my rest day and not stress going over.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I vote for keeping it light and healthy tonight and get back on track tomorrow. You shouldn't punnish yourself.
  • megannau
    megannau Posts: 7
    Options
    Some really good advice and tips given. I definitely agree with not stressing!!
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    You should have plenty of calories left I would suggest you fix your RDI. Other than that exercise come home and eat a protein filled dinner and fiber steak and broccoli? Fish and broccoli is low in calories. You arent going to ruin everything if you go over in calories but you need to get your protein up