Belly fat. How to get rid of it!

Options
Firstly, you will need to exercise. And a feeble 30 or 40 minutes of cardio in your so-called "fat-burning zone" two or three times a week isn't going to be enough. A full-body training program that includes both cardiovascular and resistance exercise will deliver better, faster results. Forget about doing hundreds of crunches, sit-ups, or any of the various "drawing in the belly button" exercises. They're virtually useless for most people when it comes to losing belly fat. Abdominal exercises do NOT burn fat away from your abs! This can only be accomplished through a much more effective full-body training routine that maximizes both your metabolic response and your hormonal response to your workouts.Remember, belly fat is stored energy. To get rid of it, you need to burn more energy (calories) than you eat. And these exercises don't burn enough calories to make much of a difference to the appearance of your waist and stomach.Getting six-pack 'killer' abs has almost nothing to do with training, It has everything to do with low body fat. The hardest part is getting your body fat low enough for your abs to show.
You'll also need to eat the right foods,a flat stomach is made in the kitchen and not the gym. Deciding what to eat can be difficult, especially with the mass of conflicting and confusing information out there. When it comes to nutrition, most people have been given only half the story. Usually, it's the wrong half! Ultimately, while there are a few basic principles to keep in mind when it comes to nutrition and weight loss, losing belly fat requires that you take in fewer calories than you burn.
Finally, you'll need to be consistent. To lose belly fat, eating right and exercising regularly needs to become a habit, not just something you do when you can be bothered or when you "have the time." If your current schedule makes it difficult to find the time for exercise, change it. Get out of bed earlier. Turn off the TV. Stop wasting time on Facebook. if you're not making progress toward your goal, be it fat loss or muscle gain, it's probably not your metabolism, your age, your workout, or your genetics that are causing the problem.

IT'S YOUR DIET!

Your belly fat will stay exactly where it is, even if you're exercising regularly and following all "the rules" about what to eat, simply because you're eating too many calories.

Replies

• MikeRay
    MikeRay Posts: 47
    Options
    Great read.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this!!!

A lot of people may not want to hear this, but it's the truth. You have to be accountable through your diet and plenty of exercise. I know this is what I needed to hear! I slacked off last year and was down to 4 days a week of workouts. I'm at my most successful doing 5-6 times a week, for at least an hour! I'm back to this and am seeing results again.

I welcome the truthful, in your face feedback. And based on your profile pic and username, you'd obviously worked hard!
  • elysetoplin
    elysetoplin Posts: 253
    Options
    bump! this is great. and so true.
  • shannonho
    shannonho Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks. I needed to hear the blunt truth. I have been protecting or hiding myself under my fat for far too long. I don't like the idea of energy being stored it should be used. Thanks for the kick to start really nourishing my body with good foods. Keep moving!~

Shannon
  • Beccaful
    Beccaful Posts: 6
    Options
    Very true. I think too many people get caught up in wanting killer abs to remember they need the fat-burning cardio exercise. You can do sit-ups all day but you wont see those muscles under a wall of fat.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    good stuff!
    Thank you :)
  • spackled1
    spackled1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Bravo!!

I have to admit, I waste a heck of a lot of time on FB! Tending a virtual farm and digging in fake sand ain't cuttin' it!!:laugh:
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! Good to finally know! :)
  • KCmom
    KCmom Posts: 124
    Options
    Good information! It's amazing how fast the fat comes on and how sloooowwww it comes off. Even with lots of cardio and decreased calories. It sure takes a longer to get off then it did to put on!
    879845.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I LOVE reading your posts. Thanks so much for telling us things others sugar coat.

BUMP
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yeah, thought so : ((
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep - Great read! Just last night I deactivated my Facebook account (too much time WASTED!) and I now will only STAND at my counter with my laptop to enter MFP data and / or read input from the community posts. Avoid JUST sitting! :happy: I truly appreciate the simplicity that you are able to present so clearly - so many super topics!
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting...this is sooo true!! :happy:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To get rid of it, you need to burn more energy (calories) than you eat. And these exercises don't burn enough calories to make much of a difference to the appearance of your waist and stomach.Getting six-pack 'killer' abs has almost nothing to do with training, It has everything to do with low body fat. The hardest part is getting your body fat low enough for your abs to show.
    You'll also need to eat the right foods,a flat stomach is made in the kitchen and not the gym. Deciding what to eat can be difficult, especially with the mass of conflicting and confusing information out there. When it comes to nutrition, most people have been given only half the story. Usually, it's the wrong half! Ultimately, while there are a few basic principles to keep in mind when it comes to nutrition and weight loss, losing belly fat requires that you take in fewer calories than you burn.

OK- So what do we eat? And also, so you recommend not "eating back" all of the exercise calories...?
  • handsewnquilts
    Options
    Very true! I have always had my little pooch in my mid section and it drove me crazy. I started out doing nothing but cardio because it didn't matter how many crunches I did, I had to cut through the top layer of fat first. Little by little, the weight was coming off then I began having sagging skin in my lower mid-section. I started doing planks, crunches, and sit ups along with the cardio and now I can attest to what you have said about decreasing the calories and burning more than you consume. My mid section is getting flatter, firmer and more tones than I have had it in years.

It is a discipline; the food and the exercising. You have to dedicate time for yourself to exercise. It's your body to take care of. I know people who take better care of their pets than they do their own bodies.