hot weather work-outs

Options
What are some fun ways to burn calories and get in a good work-out when its hot and humid? in this kind of weather it's easy to sit around the pool all day and eat popsicles but i need to continue to get in some good cardio in order to keep my energy level. 'cool' ideas are highly appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live (climate wise) you could wake up early and get an early morning workout in outdoors without overheating. I live in a mountainous-desert area so it gets very hot during the day but at night and early in the morning it is very cool. So, I get up at 5am and do my workouts. You can go running, jogging, walking, bicycling, rollerblading, climbing stairs, swimming laps etc all outside if that is what you are referring to. Otherwise, you can always hit up the local gym since they are typically air conditioned or well cooled. I prefer outdoor workouts, especially in the summer so I can enjoy the beautiful weather, since winter lasts WAY too long around here.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you have a pool, swimming is one of the best exercises. I go to the YMCA and swim laps on the days I don't have my Jazzercise class (which is indoors in the a/c).
  • RLCoach
    RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    An hour and a half of Cardio tennis would be great, just need to find a good teacher. You can go through a workout and not even realize you are working out because it is so much fun.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I ran this morning before it got too hot (it was 85 when i left the house for the run...yikes) and tonight i'm going to do an Insanity dvd indoors with A/C...haha :laugh:
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I live in TX and stopped running so much outside because of the heat and humidity. I find cycling is easier while it is hotter. Good luck to you and will be curious on comments.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You will burn more calories in the pool than anywhere else as the water acts as resistance. You could add to that by purchasing resistance equipment made by Speedo or Aqua Jogger. Laps can be boring but you can do Aerobics, dance, run around, play - anything!
  • RollFatTide
    Options
    I live in Alabama and I usually run 2 miles or so during the lunch hour. It takes some getting used to. Stay hydrated and don't worry if you have to stop part way through the run. Sometimes I soak myself with water before I start running and it works just fine.
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    You will burn more calories in the pool than anywhere else as the water acts as resistance. You could add to that by purchasing resistance equipment made by Speedo or Aqua Jogger. Laps can be boring but you can do Aerobics, dance, run around, play - anything!

Actually, as a zero impact exercise, swimming isn't a better workout than more traditional workouts.

Really, it's a matter of efficiency, rather than effectiveness.

Say x(running) for 1 mile = 147 kcals and y(swimming) for 15 minutes = 180kcals.

Unless your x is very very very slow, x > y for efficiency. (And if someone couldn't run/walk a mile in that time frame, I highly doubt they could swim continuously for 15)

I live in Alabama and I usually run 2 miles or so during the lunch hour. It takes some getting used to. Stay hydrated and don't worry if you have to stop part way through the run. Sometimes I soak myself with water before I start running and it works just fine.

To each his own, but I've been told my entire life by every coach I've ever had to NOT do that. I think that maybe it causes too much evaporation of moisture off your skin, increasing the humidity directly around you; preventing your sweat from actually doing it's job.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

Actually, as a zero impact exercise, swimming isn't a better workout than more traditional workouts.

Say x(running) for 1 mile = 147 kcals and y(swimming) for 15 minutes = 180kcals.

Unless your x is very very very slow, x > y for efficiency. (And if someone couldn't run/walk a mile in that time frame, I highly doubt they could swim continuously for 15)

Wow! This advice is way different than advice I received from trainers and articles. Was not talking about swimming - which is great exercise too but I do water aerobics with resistance equipment. This is just one that I read:
    Water Walkers burn more calories (the calorie burn is 20 to 22 calories per minute as compared to 11 calories per minute for standard water jogging, and 8 calories per minute for land jogging). Increase lean muscle tissue, which burns more fat. Achieve total body fitness in less time, twice the effect in ½ the time. Strengthen core muscle groups: abs, gluts, hip flexors, etc. better than any other comparable product or exercise. Allows users of all levels of physical ability to receive maximum muscular exercise in an environment enhance by water buoyancy and warm water temperatures.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I set my alarm for 5am so that I could get my workout in before the heat kicked it. Well, I don't have AC, so at 5am I woke up a sweaty mess anyways. It was still cooler than it is now, and I'm regretting that I didn't go.

I'll do it again tomorrow, but I can tell those early runs will take some getting used too:laugh:

Kudos to those of you who have already mastered this challenge. (Or its just a challenge to me because I hate mornings?)
  • nickkehagias
    Options

Wow! This advice is way different than advice I received from trainers and articles. Was not talking about swimming - which is great exercise too but I do water aerobics with resistance equipment. This is just one that I read:
    Water Walkers burn more calories (the calorie burn is 20 to 22 calories per minute as compared to 11 calories per minute for standard water jogging, and 8 calories per minute for land jogging). Increase lean muscle tissue, which burns more fat. Achieve total body fitness in less time, twice the effect in ½ the time. Strengthen core muscle groups: abs, gluts, hip flexors, etc. better than any other comparable product or exercise. Allows users of all levels of physical ability to receive maximum muscular exercise in an environment enhance by water buoyancy and warm water temperatures.

Well, my post was ONLY concerning swimming versus running. According to caloriesperhour.com, five minutes of hard running is 85kcals, versus 60kcals for 5 minutes of swimming.

Personally, I do both, and anyone who does is only helping themselves. Just couldn't stand to watch everyone bash running :p