Effect of junk food on exercise performance

Options
It is so amazing how food can affect your body and how it performs.

I usually eat very healthy breakfasts but today someone brought in banana muffins (white sugar, white flour, whipped cream topping). I had my fair share about two hours before my run.

The result??? My CRAPPIEST lunchtime run. EVER.

Lesson learned? Stick with the healthy stuff. Especially if right before a workout.

Replies

• kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I try to eat a small snack about an hour prior to working out! :)
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I doubt the food had anything to do with your poor run.

Though I agree it isn't very healthy in the long run to eat processed, sugary foods, your body still converted it to energy. In this case, readily available energy. It's not like you lost out on an meal that would have provided better fuel for your body. In the absence of sugars, you're body would have burned proteins and fats. It burns whatever it has to in order to give you energy. One energy source isn't any better than the other as far as your body is concerned.

When running marathons I used to carb load like crazy. it was an excellent means of keeping the engine running.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Though I agree it isn't very healthy in the long run to eat processed, sugary foods, your body still converted it to energy. In this case, readily available energy. It's not like you lost out on an meal that would have provided better fuel for your body. In the absence of sugars, you're body would have burned proteins and fats. It burns whatever it has to in order to give you energy. One energy source isn't any better than the other as far as your body is concerned.

When running marathons I used to carb load like crazy. it was an excellent means of keeping the engine running.

I have to disagree.

I don't have scientific evidence or anything, but I do know that sugar can do bad things to blood sugar levels.

The only real evidence I need is how I felt today, compared to how I usually feel. (If I end up getting sick or something, or find another reason for the crappy workout, I will let ya know. :wink: )
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Simple sugars will cause 'dumping' or a drastic influx of water into the gut, in addition to lots of fermentation by bacteria. That translates to gas and watery diarrhea and runner's trots. The carbs do make a difference which is why people time their carbs before/during the marathon.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Timing. Had you eaten said muffins closer to your run your results would probably have been better. But at two hours post consumption you were probably already crashing.
  • veggiehottie
    Options
    Timing. Had you eaten said muffins closer to your run your results would probably have been better. But at two hours post consumption you were probably already crashing.

Hmmm... This makes total sense. I normally eat my breakfast at the same time but it usually consists of more slower burning carbs and some protein.
  • veggiehottie
    Options

Simple sugars will cause 'dumping' or a drastic influx of water into the gut, in addition to lots of fermentation by bacteria. That translates to gas and watery diarrhea and runner's trots. The carbs do make a difference which is why people time their carbs before/during the marathon.

And there we have the scientific reasoning. :happy: Thanks!

Anyhow, the body is amazing isn't it?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I have an auto immune disease and chronic pain in my back, hip and hamstring. I have found that my pain levels have been cut in half by cutting out refined and processed foods. So I am with you there, it is amazing at what that crap will do to your body. I am all the scientific evidence I need!