hcg diet opinions?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this diet.

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Bunker down, the shi$t storm is coming
  • Trishabean1701
    Trishabean1701 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    haha! @dawnna76 ;)

OK. so I did this diet and lost a few pounds...but starving myself for a few weeks without taking "hormone drops" would have the same effect ;)

Basically, you eat something like 500-800 cal/day which is SUPER unhealthy! Looking back I can't even believe I survived 2.5 weeks on tiny chicken portions and Melba toast /shudder

Bottom line: DON'T waste your $. Those drops do nothing for your appetite. If you read the reviews, most people say for the 1st 1-3 days they had headaches, tiredness, etc. If you crash starve for 3 weeks, ANYONE will have that. Its not that it takes that many days for the drops to "start working", it's because your blood sugar crashes and your poor body is freaking out. Trust someone who's done it. They do NOTHING.

They say after 3 days, your body feels great and you experience a "euphoric" state. Well so do people who FAST. And that's what you're doing.

Cut your cal back by a few hundred every week and replace your comfort fatty foods with something healthy and you'll see better results that STAY.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If there is any possibility that you may have PCOS do not go on the HCG diet.

From http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778066
    "Treatment is symptomatic. It includes weight loss, antiandrogens, and medications for infertility and/or diabetes. However, injections of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) can lead to ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS), which can be fatal in women with PCOS."
  • Tazamillix3
    Options
    I started phase 2 today and its not as bad as I though as of right now. I even lost 2 lbs during the 2 load days (which I thought was ridiculous and unrealistic). But considering the types of food your allowed to eat, its easy to fill up on under 120 calories a meal. I had a salad LOADED with red kidney beans (which isnt on the list but whatever) and jalapeños and the 6 carrot sticks (just because I wanted a veggie but didn't end up caring for them). And I'm pretty full.

But it's all about doing your homework. Everyone swears ur just starving urself while ur on this diet and thats why you lose weight (I thought this too for years so I never tried it). But if you actually do the research and try to better understand the diet before making any assumptions you learn otherwise. Ur body takes the rest of the needed calories from the fat you have stored from the previous load days. Once that is gone it uses the fat found around the body in the belly, hips, thighs, butt, and anywhere else you may have extra fat.

Starving yourself won't give you a 1-2 lb loss per day because you will be in so much pain that you have no choice but to eat before your body decides to use the stored fat. Using the stored fat is naturally the bodys last resort. The hcg makes it so that using stored fat seems like the bodys only option, which is why some doctors actually prescribe hcg injections to some of their patients.

Anywho, make sure you as your doctor before you make any big decisions about the hcg diet. And good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch the stuff, and here's one very good reason why: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952547-gaining-weight-after-hcg-diet-drops
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch the stuff, and here's one very good reason why: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952547-gaining-weight-after-hcg-diet-drops

Thank you for linking to this. People really need to see the big picture of playing around with hormones and their metabolism.
  • nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't bother...weight comes right back once you start eating normally. There are no quick fixes.

Now, if you're looking for some way to throw your money away...well, still don't do it, just send me the $40 or whatever it is now :tongue:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this diet.

I wonder if OP has tried grasping at straws yet?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Don't bother...weight comes right back once you start eating normally. There are no quick fixes.

Now, if you're looking for some way to throw your money away...well, still don't do it, just send me the $40 or whatever it is now :tongue:

I don't mind being paid for diet advice either! Pick me!
  • nikb1983
    nikb1983 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I don't mind being paid for diet advice either! Pick me!
    w

We could split it... would we give good advice or bad?
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    HCG is a placebo. It's just another fad diet.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had to google it.

Really? I don't think its even a diet. Just more snake oil.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Is this what you are talking about?

Does the HCG diet work — and is it safe?
    Answer
    from Jennifer K. Nelson, R.D., L.D.

No on both counts. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has advised consumers to steer clear of over-the-counter weight-loss products that contain HCG.

HCG is human chorionic gonadotropin, a hormone produced during pregnancy. As a prescription medication, HCG is used mainly to treat fertility issues. HCG is not approved for over-the-counter use, nor has it been proved to work for weight loss. Companies that sell over-the-counter HCG weight-loss products are breaking the law.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I could sell you magic pills too! Please send cash or money order...no personal checks please. I need to fund my Disney cruise next year :bigsmile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

psuLemon
    Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.