Foam Roller

Options
umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
Anybody has experience of using foam rollers for stretching the thigh and calf muscles? Did you find it effective after cycling or running? I have searched the net and can see many positive reviews. Runners are using them for stretching big thigh muscles which also have positive impact on the knee pain. How much would it cost?

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I bought a basic, full-size foam roller almost a year ago for $25. It's helped me get over numerous injuries and I use it almost every day. I think every runner should have one.
  • umer76
    Options
    Yes I saw the same price. Do you use it before and after running or just once? What I like is that it loosens the muscle that helps to avoid knee pain and I want that.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You should probably use it prior to running on problem areas. You'll know a problem area when you roll over it. There are different densities of foam rollers so be aware of that. They are around 20-30 dollars. You can also use a tennis ball/lacrosse ball/similar ball on your calf and glute area.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    If there's something that's really bothering me, yeah, I'll use it before and after. When I'm healthy for the most part it seems to be sufficient to just do it once.
  • umer76
    Options
    You should probably use it prior to running on problem areas. You'll know a problem area when you roll over it. There are different densities of foam rollers so be aware of that. They are around 20-30 dollars. You can also use a tennis ball/lacrosse ball/similar ball on your calf and glute area.
    High density roller is better or the one with low density? I am not sure which one will suit me.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have one and I LOVE it! I don't run, but it's great when I'm sore the day after a tough workout. I just bought the cheap "Golds Gym" one from Walmart. It works great for my purposes.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you have access at a gym to try them, I'd advise it. The less dense ones will be less painful (usually white colored). You can graduate to denser ones when you become more accustomed to the pain.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It is the black higher density variety, hurts like an SOB sometimes but man does it work. I think I paid around 25-30. I bought it to help with my IT band issues but it works great for pretty much all of my lower body and even some of my upper body. I use it whenever I feel I need a little more than just streching can provide.
  • christianschell3150
    Options
    I had rehab for ACL reconstruction and used a firm foam roller all the time to loosen various leg muscles. It's not my favorite but really works well. Another option is something called "the stick", but you need someone to perform the exercise on you. That thing felt terrible but was awesome for loosening things up.