Push Up Substitute

Options
I am wondering if there is a good substitute for pushups. I have 2 issues, 1 is kills my wrist, and 2 kills my shoulder. My shoulder pops every time I do a pushup. I have fixed the wrist pain with push up bars. I have not had issues with any other workout just push ups. Tweaked my shoulder about 4 years ago. but certain things bug it. Push ups are one.

Wondering if there is a simple substitute? I have no problems with bench pressing.

Replies

• FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Try the push up by tucking your elbows close to your side this will take stress off the shoulder. <-- also more of a tri workout so adjust your program accordingly
  • VinnyI82
    VinnyI82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We used to do these weird push ups in the Army where you just lay down on your stomach and did push ups that way. t was so long ago I forgot what we called them.

This way you aren't putting a substantial amount of weight on your joints. I may be wrong but a normal push up uses only ~50-60% of your body weight (I may be wrong) where-as the one lying prone will use far less weight.
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hmmm maybe inverted rows? Like a bench press, but instead of pushing a bar over you, you pull yourself up to touch it with your chest.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Try the push up by tucking your elbows close to your side this will take stress off the shoulder. <-- also more of a tri workout so adjust your program accordingly

Thanks I will have to try this one to see if it works. I want to be able to do more at home.
  • VinnyI82
    Options
    Inverted row is a back exercise kitty. mainly rear delts and lats, anything in the upper back area.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We used to do these weird push ups in the Army where you just lay down on your stomach and did push ups that way. t was so long ago I forgot what we called them.

This way you aren't putting a substantial amount of weight on your joints. I may be wrong but a normal push up uses only ~50-60% of your body weight (I may be wrong) where-as the one lying prone will use far less weight.

Do you mean going all the way to the floor and then rising back up? My trainer calls those "hand releases".
  • VinnyI82
    Options
    No Cassie, we were literally laying down. The "push-ups" only were from the stomach up. From the waist to feet were prone on the ground.

~edit~ Cassie they're called prone push-ups. They also help work out the lower back.

Alternatively, OP, you could do something like this where there is far less stress on joints:

http://danblewett.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/CIMG1572.jpg

Best picture I could find.
  • jaweiss1
    jaweiss1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if there is a good substitute for pushups. I have 2 issues, 1 is kills my wrist, and 2 kills my shoulder. My shoulder pops every time I do a pushup. I have fixed the wrist pain with push up bars. I have not had issues with any other workout just push ups. Tweaked my shoulder about 4 years ago. but certain things bug it. Push ups are one.

Wondering if there is a simple substitute? I have no problems with bench pressing.
    Put a rolled towel under your chest to reduce the range by 3-4". That may take care of the shoulder pain that you are having while doing pushups - works for my shoulder, I have a rotator cuff injury.

Or just bench press instead.