Is cardio straight after weight training detrimental?

Options
I've been getting on the treadmill and jog at a fair pace usually for about 10 minutes after weight training. I usually get quite a sweat going. Some people seem to think doing this is detrimental to muscle gain. What do you think?

Replies

• nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    I doubt that the magnitude of the retarding effect will be measurable if we are only talking about a fair paced jog for 10minutes.
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I doubt that the magnitude of the retarding effect will be measurable if we are only talking about a fair paced jog for 10minutes.

^^^This.

Ten minutes is a walk in the park.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I had actually read recently to do cardio after weight training if you do both. I had been doing the reverse. http://www.builtlean.com/2011/11/07/cardio-before-or-after-weights/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A 10 minute jog is going to be neither here nor there...you wouldn't want to go do some insane spin class or something...but a little 10 minute jog isn't going to effect you.
  • VinnyI82
    VinnyI82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you aren't gonna lose muscle on a 10 minute jog. when you start doing foolish things like running for 2+ hours is where it starts affecting muscle gain negatively

For me, it's a 10 minute warm up on the treadmill then stretching, do my lifts, and then 10-20 minutes of treadmill, usually 3mph at half the max incline of the treadmill.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    A ten minute jog is great after a workout, it's a good cool down which then you can stretch everything after.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I do it before weights, it's my warm up as well as cardio, and if it's still acceptable practice, tires the muscles a bit so I get more out of the sets afterwards.

And the short sprint I had to do to catch the bus home after the gym today would have been impossible had I been just off the treadmill - the sitting part of machines lets my heart rate and everything cool down gradually.

But I'm probably totally wrong in doing things that way.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    What would a Couch 2 5k run do after weight lifting due? I have never heard this before.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain ain't happening (a couple of exceptions) unless you're in calorie surplus. If you're trying to lose weight, the cardio after won't matter. Macro/micro nutrient intake is more critical.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you pushed the weights hard enough you should feel like a newborn kitten and be far, far from wanting to run 30-40 minutes (in reply to the c25k question. A short, brisk walk (or jog if you are really in shape) is a good stretch out and cool down.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain ain't happening (a couple of exceptions) unless you're in calorie surplus. If you're trying to lose weight, the cardio after won't matter. Macro/micro nutrient intake is more critical.

This. You just have to eat more if you run. But weight training is still good to help maintain lbm if you are at a deficit and losing. If you are a beginner, you may manage to gain some anyway.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you pushed the weights hard enough you should feel like a newborn kitten and be far, far from wanting to run 30-40 minutes (in reply to the c25k question. A short, brisk walk (or jog if you are really in shape) is a good stretch out and cool down.

not looking to build muscle, still working on cutting. I know I will need to load up if I plan on building up muscle.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My workout plan includes 15 minutes of HIIT after 60 minutes of weight training (from NROLFW). I actually enjoy it
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have been doing p90 followed by Insanity about 15-20 minutes later. I have noticed some significant gains(at least appearance wise on my muscles)

But then again I put on muscle really quickly (wahay genetics) so take it with a grain of salt.
  • Visique
    Visique Posts: 23
    Options
    10 mins will probably only raise your heart rate. Try this....after each lift session walk on the tread at 12 incline on 3.2 speed for 20 mins. that will help you stay slim while building muscle. GL