little but effective tips?

Options
Hi, this is about my 100th time at starting my 'eating healthy and getting in shape' mission. My supportive friends have pointed out that I take on too much and get stressed with it - leading to binges and giving up, so they suggested that I should take small steps, adding a little change each week. To start off with, I have stopped drinking fizzy drinks and I'm sticking to water and the occasional fruit juice in the morning. I've also switched my bread to wholemeal. Next week, I'm going to add a piece of fruit each day in to my diet. Are there any other little steps I could take before progressing on to larger steps?

Replies

• mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    start going for walks and slowly increasing the distance and speed =)
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals - either for the week or the day. Don't leave things to chance. If you pack a lunch you're less likely to pick a bad choice at a restaurant or fast food.

Drink water.

Move! Walk, swim, Bike.

Remove temptations in your house. Potatoes are mine. I only have them when I'm out somewhere.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Add more vegetables one meal at a time!
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I've been down this path a ridiculous amount of times. I'm framing it differently this time. Instead of saying "I need to be X weight." I'm saying that I need to be healthier and my weight will fall where it will. I've slowly over the course of 2 months cut out soda and my daily sweet treat. I've started making myself eat a real breakfast and snack on nuts, veggies, and fruits in between meals. My fast food habit has been greatly reduced. I've started tracking what I'm eating. I'm down 9lbs since February 22nd. This month, I'm trying to add exercise as a priority. This will be a slow process and I may never be "thin" but I will be a healthier me and that is what matters.
  • GettinIT6
    GettinIT6 Posts: 44
    Options
    small meals 5-6 times a day:) plan your meals!! drink lots and lots of water!! I like how you are changing it one thing at a time!!
  • alexeye11
    alexeye11 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals, go for walks(eventually jogs), don't cut out everything, enjoy things in moderation. Basically alot of people fail because they cut out EVERYTHING. No chips, no candy, no bread. Woah. To much change, too fast. You don't need to cut out all junk to be healthy. Just learn to enjoy in moderation. Take a look at my diary. I eat ice cream, chocolate, alcohol, popcorn. YUM. I also eat fruit, veggies, lean meats and drink alot of water. Losing weight doesn't have to be a nightmare! :drinker: As long as it fits in your calorie goal, eat it! Lol. And make sure you set a reasonable goal!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Emilyy_93
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll be giving all of those a try in the next few weeks.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Instead of a typical resolution this year I decided to call it a fresh start to 2013 & what I did was:
    #1 lay off the soda
    # 2 minimize the coffee & try cutting the sugar
    # 3 eat more fruits & veggies
    # 4 Increase lean protein
    # 5 be better about taking meds including vitamins
    # 6 walk more &
    # 7 & probably the hardest thing for me Try not to weigh in too often

So far so good I am down 30 lbs :)

ETA: I never deprive myself anything if I want it I have it but in moderation of course
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is about my 100th time at starting my 'eating healthy and getting in shape' mission. My supportive friends have pointed out that I take on too much and get stressed with it - leading to binges and giving up, so they suggested that I should take small steps, adding a little change each week. To start off with, I have stopped drinking fizzy drinks and I'm sticking to water and the occasional fruit juice in the morning. I've also switched my bread to wholemeal. Next week, I'm going to add a piece of fruit each day in to my diet. Are there any other little steps I could take before progressing on to larger steps?

Substituting something for fruit is much better than adding fruit. :)
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Eat at least one fruit or veggie with every meal. Swith from white to brown rice. Whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta. Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt. Try to get 30 minutes of cardio, even if its a leisurely walk.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Food scale.
    And weigh your servings rather than measure them by volume (except for liquids, of course.). For example, most containers will tell you a serving is: "1/4 cup (28g)" or something similar. Go by the 28 grams. Trust me!
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Food scale.
    And weigh your servings rather than measure them by volume (except for liquids, of course.). For example, most containers will tell you a serving is: "1/4 cup (28g)" or something similar. Go by the 28 grams. Trust me!

We need a like button :)
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Protein beats any craving!
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options
    add little exercises into your daily life; take the stairs, park in the furthest parking spot, etc.

Remember that you can still eat candy or dessert or whatever it is you like. If you try to cut everything out you'll crave it more. Just make sure you're tracking and allow yourself to have a treat once in awhile!
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Use smaller plates.
    Replace potatoes/rice/pasta with vegetables sometimes (or all the time).
    Season well enough that you won't need a sauce. (Well seasoned and cooked salmon is awesome with just boiled peas)
    If you fail one day, get a fresh start the next.
    Cook enough to freeze and reheat for whenever you don't feel like cooking.
    Weigh and logg EVERYTHING.
    If you're really craving something sweet, have a glass of water, sometimes you're just thirsty.
    Fruit is natures candy. If you feel like candy, have some fruit.
    A treat once in a while is fine if it dosen't make you go crazy and eat a whole package or more of whatever it is. (I miss you small factory made lemon cupcakes... But I can't have just one. Or two... Or five.)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    drink 8 cups of water a day
    make 50% of your meal a veggie
    cycle for errands 2km or closer, or walk up to 1km
    ditch sugar
    ditch salt

start writing down your food intake (if you don't already) - that makes you so much more aware of what you are putting into your body...

get a crazy dog that needs lots of exercise :-p
  • L1zzydarcy
    L1zzydarcy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that just because I don't know something doesn't make it not true. It helps me with those times when I think I don't need to check the calories on something, or don't want to weigh in. It's always better to know, and then I can make reasonable choices about what to eat, or going to the gym, or whatever.