Improve breathing to improve running speed?

Options
I am trying to increase my running speed by running intervals at the local track. I also run hilly courses once or twice a week. I find my legs respond to the extra load much faster than my respratory system. Improving leg strength can be done with strength training. Are there other ways to improve your breathing other than running speed "wind sprints" and running hill segments?

Replies

• pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bump from an asthmatic ex-smoker learning to run who would like to know this too. ;-)
  • Marga40
    Marga40 Posts: 25
    Options
    Swimming! I quit smoking recently, and am a new runner as well, so I've been looking for ways to improve my lung health. Several people suggested swimming as the best exercise to do for lung capacity. Here's an article that explains why...

http://www.swimmingscience.net/2011/10/sucking-air-out-of-room-swimmers-lung.html

Hope this helps!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Inhaled steroids work for me! I realized when I started running that my asthma isn't controlled. So I started taking a steroid inhaler twice a day and I started getting faster, without actually doing speedwork. I also have a cup of coffee before I run, helps open the airways. But mostly its just practice. The more I run, the fewer problems I have with my lungs.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I ran hills, working hard to go a bit further and/or faster each time. I found my lung capacity increased fairly rapidly. Perhaps you just have to give it a bit more time.
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and am an ex smoker as well.
    I have found that the best way to condition my lungs for running is to just keep running.
    Every time I run, it gets easier breathing-wise. At first I was huffing and puffing after 30 seconds. Now I can go for about 20 minutes with little discomfort.
    When I am having a lot of trouble, I raise my hands above my head to open my lungs and take deep breaths in through my nose and out through my mouth.
    Hope this helps!
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Bump....I'm having some issues with this too...I'm wondering if yoga will help?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    There is no secret to breathing while running. Breathe however you want to get the air in; through your mouth, through your nose, through your ears if you can.

Hard breathing and high heartrate is caused by the cardiovascular system attempting to provide the oxygen demanded by the muscles. By increasing your aerobic capacity more oxygen is delivered to and used by your muscles per unit of time. In addition to other benefits, this will also lower both your heartrate and breathing rate at any given speed.

The best way to increase aerobic capacity is to run lots of easy miles for a long time. Easy is around 75% max heartrate and below. The only way to speed up the process is to make individual runs longer and run more weekly miles. Running faster or doing other stuff will not speed up development here.
  • angbieb
    Options
    There is no secret to breathing while running. Breathe however you want to get the air in; through your mouth, through your nose, through your ears if you can.

Hard breathing and high heartrate is caused by the cardiovascular system attempting to provide the oxygen demanded by the muscles. By increasing your aerobic capacity more oxygen is delivered to and used by your muscles per unit of time. In addition to other benefits, this will also lower both your heartrate and breathing rate at any given speed.

The best way to increase aerobic capacity is to run lots of easy miles for a long time. Easy is around 75% max heartrate and below. The only way to speed up the process is to make individual runs longer and run more weekly miles. Running faster or doing other stuff will not speed up development here.

Thanks Scott! That is great advice!!!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I found swimming helped me get my breathing while running in check. I didn't intend for it t appen it was just a side effect I found.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Breathing in for four steps and exhaling for three or similar is supposed to help improve breathing, and I personally find that I works for me when I run.
  • angbieb
    Options
    Breathing in for four steps and exhaling for three or similar is supposed to help improve breathing, and I personally find that I works for me when I run.

Do you have a certain technique? Like pushing the breath out as far as you can? I want to get it right..:flowerforyou:

Thanks!!
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Agreed that it's not the breathing so much as it is aerobic capacity. So how do you increase aerobic capacity/increase your max VO2 (the amount of oxygen your body can consume)? With very long easy runs and supplement with certain strength training (lower weight & more reps). These things will increase mitochondrial growth and capillarization in your muscles. Mitochondria = energy converters, capillaries = highways for oxygen to your muscles. Increase those and you will be able to keep up higher speeds for a longer amount of time. :)
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses...

I did c25k last year but didn't ever achieve my desired pace. Thought their may be a more efficient method to achieve faster paces than more run time. Put in the run time and respiratory system (heart & legs) will respond...

Thanks Again...
  • scottb81
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses...

I did c25k last year but didn't ever achieve my desired pace. Thought their may be a more efficient method to achieve faster paces than more run time. Put in the run time and respiratory system (heart & legs) will respond...

Thanks Again...
    There are things you can do as long as you keep them in the context of 80% of weekly mileage building aerobic capacity as discussed above and the remaining 20% doing something to improve your ability to run at faster speeds.

A weekly tempo run will benefit you by conditioning your body to run at a fast pace where lactate is building up rapidly. Warm up at easy pace for 20 minutes, run at a fast pace for 20 to 30 min (approx 10K pace), then cool down with 20 minutes easy pace. The pace should feel fairly uncomfortable but should be sustainable for the length of the run. If you have to slow down you are going too fast.

A weekly interval session at a track will help improve VO2max. These are repeats from 400m to 1000m at somewhat faster than 5k pace with a short recovery in between each one. The total of the faster intervals should be no more than 8% of weekly mileage. Each one should be at the same pace. If you have to slow down you are going too fast. (in this context the first one might not seem too hard. But by the 5th or 6th one you will be sucking wind and struggling to hang on.) The recovery interval between each should be no more than the time of the fast interval. A good target, if your weekly mileage supports it, is to do 2 to 3 miles worth of intervals during a single session. Do 10 to 20 minutes of warm up and cool down at easy pace also.

Depending on how much you run right now you might do a tempo run one week and an interval session the next. Unless you are running at least 5 or 6 days a week you probably shouldn't do both workouts in one week.

A weekly long run of 2 hours at easy pace will also give a great payoff.

Also, do strides after a couple of easy runs each week. accelerate to top speed over about 60 meters and then hold the top speed for about 40 more meters. Recover as long as you want and repeat. Do around 6 of them each session. This is neuromuscular training to keep your legs in touch with moving fast but is short enough that it adds minimal stress and fatigue to the body.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Thanks Scott! That is great advice!!!

• scottb81
    Options

Do you have a certain technique? Like pushing the breath out as far as you can? I want to get it right..:flowerforyou:

Thanks!!
    The best thing is to ensure you are doing "belly breathing" and filling your whole lungs. When you breathe in your diaphram should drop and your belly should expand. If your chest expands you are chest breathing and only filling your lungs half way. Once you get used to the technique it should feel natural and not forced.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the great information.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like swimming for that. I try to swim underwater as far as I can before coming up for air to help expand the depth of my breathing, then will do laps to try and find a breathing pattern to help maximize.

The idea for me is to improve my underwater swimming distance to learn how to improve breathing pattern for maximal efficiency.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As a rule, "breathing" per se is not a limiting factor in exercise. As previously stated, "difficulties" in "breathing" are more likely related to cardiovascular insufficiency due to the intensity of the exercise.

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule, esp when it comes to running:

1. Presence of an actual medical breathing problem (asthma or other COPD)

2. Suboptimal running posture or tense upper body that restricts breathing.

In the case of #2, a breathing pattern that promotes relaxation, or anything else that promotes relaxed arms and shoulders can improve breathing -- if it is related to tension and not low fitness level.

Exercises to improve "breathing" specifically, are likely not that effective--unless they increase self-confidence and thus contribute to the relaxation effect derived above.

Running --even at slower speeds-- requires a certain fitness level. Not everyone can jump off the couch and start running.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Thanks!!
    The best thing is to ensure you are doing "belly breathing" and filling your whole lungs. When you breathe in your diaphram should drop and your belly should expand. If your chest expands you are chest breathing and only filling your lungs half way. Once you get used to the technique it should feel natural and not forced.

That and just learn to run relaxed. Humans are more than capable of getting all the air they need as long as they don't get in the way. Even at 100% of VO2 max, the blood is fully oxygenated and lung capacity is not reached.