Should I go see a doctor?

Options
I'm always feeling so damn hungry and can't seem to feel really FULL. Now I just ate 2,200 calories worth "clean" foods (homemade tuna salad, eggs, wholewheat bread, banana, peanut butter, whey protein, grapefruit juice, almond milk) and less than an hour later my stomach is growling!! wtf!

Replies

• Karla_SK
    Karla_SK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the brain can't distinguish between hunger and thirst, so maybe you're just thirsty. I would recommend increasing your water intake first. HTH. :)
  • jdtd1967
    jdtd1967 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the more water that I have been drinking the less I feel like I need to eat. I have been drinking 8-10 glasses a day..No Sodas.
  • TheLittleGingerDoesWeightLoss
    Options
    When I first started I was STARVING. I not only was eating healthy, but had cut down on portions. The only thing I could think of was that I had stretched my stomach to consume large amounts of food that eating what was considered proper didn't activate my stretch receptors in my stomach, so it did not prompt satiety. The hunger eventually tapered off and now I get legitimately hungry and when I eat what portion I'm supposed to eat then I am full.

My advice is to wait a week and see if you just started. If you've been doing this for a month then yeah maybe see a doctor.

Also dehydration prompts feelings of hunger so consider that as well?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough vitamin d3?
    * If you spend a lot of time indoors during the day, you may be deficient. Vitamin D deficiency is frequently expressed through increased appetite. If this is the case, try taking a supplement of 2,000-4,000 IU daily when you wake up. Do not take vitamin d supplements after midday, as it could make sleeping at night difficult.

A doctor could test you for vitamin d deficiency.

Are you getting enough sleep?
    *Sleep deprivation is associated with increased appetite and weight gain.

Are you under a lot of stress?
    *Stress will leave you feeling famished. If you find your appetite is lower when you exercise, this could be that you are relieving stress through exercise.

And there is the obvious question: Are you eating enough?
    * Unless you've had your resting metabolic rate tested, there is the possibility that you aren't actually eating enough. The calorie guidelines you can find on the internet are a very broad generalization. If your photo is any indication of your real world physique, you appear to have quite a lot of muscle mass. More muscle mass, means a higher resting metabolic rate. Maybe you just need to eat more.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter, add more water too.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    People sometimes get confused between their body being hungry or thirsty. Try drinking more water. I heard it helps to drink 1-2 full glasses before each meal to help fill you up a little and keeep you hydrated. Many people also don't realize that when they drink water, it isn't used until like 3-4 hours later.
  • HardDon
    HardDon Posts: 204
    Options
    Are you getting enough vitamin d3?
    * If you spend a lot of time indoors during the day, you may be deficient. Vitamin D deficiency is frequently expressed through increased appetite. If this is the case, try taking a supplement of 2,000-4,000 IU daily when you wake up. Do not take vitamin d supplements after midday, as it could make sleeping at night difficult.

A doctor could test you for vitamin d deficiency.

Are you getting enough sleep?
    *Sleep deprivation is associated with increased appetite and weight gain.

Are you under a lot of stress?
    *Stress will leave you feeling famished. If you find your appetite is lower when you exercise, this could be that you are relieving stress through exercise.

And there is the obvious question: Are you eating enough?
    * Unless you've had your resting metabolic rate tested, there is the possibility that you aren't actually eating enough. The calorie guidelines you can find on the internet are a very broad generalization. If your photo is any indication of your real world physique, you appear to have quite a lot of muscle mass. More muscle mass, means a higher resting metabolic rate. Maybe you just need to eat more.

Great answer! I did realize this starts happening right around exams time, so it might be that.

I do sleep 8 - 10 hours everyday and eat 3,200 cals daily. Vitamin d3 is under check too.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    if you have to ask this question, the answer is yes.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If you just started, you will feel as though ur starving for about 2 weeks to a month. It goes away though, I promise. ^^
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you just started, you will feel as though ur starving for about 2 weeks to a month. It goes away though, I promise. ^^

Yep.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    if you have to ask this question, the answer is yes.

/thread
  • HardDon
    HardDon Posts: 204
    Options
    bump :tongue:
  • joek5637
    joek5637 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found that it take about a week or 2 for your body to adjust but before I started I had a complete physical by my doctor an talked to him about what I should do
  • Mharren
    Mharren Posts: 60
    Options
    If this phenomena started with a recent, drastic diet change it can be your hormones adjusting to changing leptin, ghrelin, and insulin levels. The thing with nutrition when it gets down to molecules, is that it all gets broken down into the same base units. It's possible that you're missing a base unit that you were getting in your previous diet, or at least aren't getting near as much of it. When composing a meal or a daily eating plan it can be a good idea to go over the food groups and whatever food guide has been published by the health department in your country.

If this is something just happens around high stress times, then so long as it goes away after the crunch period its just related to stress. When your stressed out, your cortisol levels rise, which causes fat, protein, and sugars to be metabolized at a faster rate, thus increasing your hunger and energy needs. Maybe eating a meal with more complex sugars which take longer to digest and give more bang for their buck might help. i.e. carbohydrates like pasta, versus simpler sugars such as those found in fruit juices. Sort of like carb-loading in athletes before a high body stress race, you can 'load' during a high stress time like exams.

If this persists or is accompanied by any dramatic weight loss and/or gastrointestinal symptoms that a consultation with your primary care physician is certainly in order. A Chem7 blood panel can reveal quite a bit for just a teeny prick. If your currently in exams, see if it levels out once they have concluded.

Best Regards,
    - Mharren