body fat% loss

Options
How did you all manage to loss body fat% and by which workout? I would love to see pics & tips and be inspired to kick my butt harder. plz do list which all workout helped you out.

Replies

• Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Would love to know more about losing body fat too!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eat in deficit + working out + little cardio = body fat loss...

Your work out regimen should be built around compound lifts...bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press, pullups, chin ups etc...

not sure what your fitness level is..but if you are not doing these then you should learn them and then build a program around them that has you hitting arms/back/shoulders/legs about three times a week and then mixing in some cardio two days a week with two days of rest.

If you are a little more advanced you could go with an upper/lower split where you go Mon Upper/Tues Lower wens off Thurs Upper/Friday lower and then cardio on Saturday with sunday off...

Remember the more body fat that you lose the harder your body will fight to hold onto it....I am trying to get to ten percent from thirteen percent right now...
  • slimtoneneetz
    slimtoneneetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank u soo much! This makes it more clear. hopefully will get there. And good luck to u! U look awesome!
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What about people like me?:
    - low body weight(a bit underweight actually) -> no need to lose any more
    - high bf%
    I've dieted myself from high normal weight to this skinny-fat situation and now I'm a bit lost.
    I'm slowly starting to work out, but 0 results atm + slowly upping my cals to get to maintainance.
  • crzybeautiful11
    Options
    How did you all manage to loss body fat% and by which workout? I would love to see pics & tips and be inspired to kick my butt harder. plz do list which all workout helped you out.

In the past month I've lost 11lbs, 2.7% body fat. Not sure if that's great, good or just average, but I'm happy with it. I go to the gym 6 days a week, alternate upper and lower body every other day, plus core work and some cardio, usually 15 mins on the treadmill or elliptical. I walk quite a bit at work and although I don't eat extremely healthy I definitely don't eat horribly.

Some of the exercises I do are bench/reverse bench, squats, curls, and dead lifts. I love the leg press and hack squat machines, my lower body days are my fav! I do dead lift/squat curls on a bosu ball, dumbbell rows in plank position, and a variety of ab work.

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas! Good luck!
  • slimtoneneetz
    slimtoneneetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank u soo much all
    :)
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If you want a good cardio DVD- check out Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I wouldn't do it everyday, but that's just me.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why people on this site make it seem as if cardio does not burn fat or lower fat %. It surely does as long as it is paired with strength/resistance training. Doing both together will help you build muscle and burn fat. You don't have to give up cardio altogether and only lift weights. Unless you wanna and then that is on you. I happen to see faster results doing both simultaneously.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    - high bf%
    I've dieted myself from high normal weight to this skinny-fat situation and now I'm a bit lost.
    I'm slowly starting to work out, but 0 results atm + slowly upping my cals to get to maintainance.

For people like you, eat at or around maintenance, and do compound lifts with heavy (for you) weights. Something like StrongLifts or Starting Strength. I have burned a bunch of fat, and built a bunch of muscle, using exactly that technique.

Best of luck!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why people on this site make it seem as if cardio does not burn fat or lower fat %. It surely does as long as it is paired with strength/resistance training. Doing both together will help you build muscle and burn fat. You don't have to give up cardio altogether and only lift weights. Unless you wanna and then that is on you. I happen to see faster results doing both simultaneously.

No one has said if you do some cardio it's not going to affect bf%...the truth is most people usually do one or the other...or they supplement their strength training with some off day cardio.

Why you see strength training recommended much more than cardio is simply because it is way more effective and ensures muscle isn't being lost from the areas not targetted by cardio. No one has said you "can't" also do some cardio.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Well, for maximum effect, you should be lifting heavy. And by heavy, I mean heavy enough that you wouldn't be able to do further reps. And if you are lifting heavy, your body needs time to rest and recover from that. So for maximum effect, you'd probably want to lift heavy 3 times a week, and use the other days to recover.

If you have energy to do cardio on a heavy lifting day, you're not lifting heavy enough. And if you do cardio on your day off, you *could* be compromising your ability to fully recover.

Also, since so many sources have been screaming for so long that cardio is the cure to all that ails you, people sometimes go to the other extreme to make their point.

Now, all that said, I do still do HIIT cardio, usually after I lift -- but my goal is not maximum fat burn
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

Well, for maximum effect, you should be lifting heavy. And by heavy, I mean heavy enough that you wouldn't be able to do further reps. And if you are lifting heavy, your body needs time to rest and recover from that. So for maximum effect, you'd probably want to lift heavy 3 times a week, and use the other days to recover.

If you have energy to do cardio on a heavy lifting day, you're not lifting heavy enough. And if you do cardio on your day off, you *could* be compromising your ability to fully recover.

Also, since so many sources have been screaming for so long that cardio is the cure to all that ails you, people sometimes go to the other extreme to make their point.

Now, all that said, I do still do HIIT cardio, usually after I lift -- but my goal is not maximum fat burn

Well said!
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Carb cycling and fasted cardio have shown me the best results in body fat loss!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    - high bf%

lifting heavy weights really helps with this, as you need to build up your lean body mass. Any lifting programme where you're progressively increasing the weight so you strengthen your bones and muscles is what you need, e.g. stronglifts, new rules of lifting for women, or similar. BTW heavy is relative to what you can currently lift, it should be a weight that you can't lift more than 8 times, the actual amount of weight doesn't matter.... it needs to be heavy enough to strengthen your bones and muscles

women who have done programmes like this after being "skinny fat" (which I'd define as having a normal BMI but too high a body fat percentage) find that they gain weight, but lose fat and inches, and end up heavier, but at a smaller dress size and looking much more fit and "toned"

ETA: you also have to eat right, i.e. plenty of protein and enough calories so your body can build itself up again. If you carry on not eating enough, your body won't have the building blocks to be able to strengthen your bones and muscles - so good job re working up to eating at maintenance... if you're already doing all the above, keep at it you will start to see results.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling and fasted cardio have shown me the best results in body fat loss!

:noway: :noway: :noway:

that sounds as fun as getting a root canal and.not necessary.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    When you build lean muscle, you will burn more fat period. You may not see the scale drop but you will see a difference in your clothes fitting better. I have a variety of exercises I do using dumbells and medicine balls. I have taken videos from Jillian michaels and Denise Austin, along with Minna Lessig's book "tank top arms, bikini abs and boy shorts bottom", and I have made a few routines for myself. Also, the medicine balls came with their own videos as well, and some of those are very intense. 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week also helps. Change your diet. Remove the refined carbs, and add fruits and vegetables. It does not happen over night, but it progress does accumulate over time.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Diet > Resistance training > Cardio.

It's science, I wouldn't expect anyone else to understand. /s
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    eat in deficit + working out + little cardio = body fat loss...

Your work out regimen should be built around compound lifts...bench press, squat, deadlift, overhead press, pullups, chin ups etc...

not sure what your fitness level is..but if you are not doing these then you should learn them and then build a program around them that has you hitting arms/back/shoulders/legs about three times a week and then mixing in some cardio two days a week with two days of rest.

If you are a little more advanced you could go with an upper/lower split where you go Mon Upper/Tues Lower wens off Thurs Upper/Friday lower and then cardio on Saturday with sunday off...

Remember the more body fat that you lose the harder your body will fight to hold onto it....I am trying to get to ten percent from thirteen percent right now...

This! I am a runner but I also do circuit training WITH weights 3x a week-went from 21% body fat to 14%. High protein low fat lifestyle.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Diet > Resistance training > Cardio.

It's science, I wouldn't expect anyone else to understand. /s

Yep.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!