Has anyone seen a nutritionist?

Options
2»

Replies

• MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been to a dietician. :laugh:

I felt like I was in grade school and she was giving me the old "5 servings of grain, 3 fruits, etc"

That's literally what she told me. And she said I shouldn't even worry about my weight. :grumble:

She mentioned nothing of calories.

It was very uninformative, but I probably just got a bad one lol
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all. Registered Dietitian here. Just wanted to pop in and say that the term "nutritionist" is not a legal term, therefore anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist", even if they have no formal education.

Seek out a Registered Dietitian, we have to have a lot of formal education in nutrition and become licensed in our field.

By the way, I have a group on MFP called "ask the dietitian" and I'm always on there answering questions.

Do you ever eat dinner?

I'm aiming for 3500 calories each day, so I usually eat dinner twice.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all. Registered Dietitian here. Just wanted to pop in and say that the term "nutritionist" is not a legal term, therefore anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist", even if they have no formal education.

Seek out a Registered Dietitian, we have to have a lot of formal education in nutrition and become licensed in our field.

By the way, I have a group on MFP called "ask the dietitian" and I'm always on there answering questions.

Do you ever eat dinner?

I'm aiming for 3500 calories each day, so I usually eat dinner twice.

Ok I didnt see it on your diary. I am trying to get up to my calories per day but I keep falling short way short....would you mind looking at my diary and messaging me what I could do I am not getting hungry as I was between meals like I did in beginning. Even not wanting to eat sometimes :ohwell: If not I understand I will figure it out I just cant afford to see a dietitian
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of seeing an Dietician. I have dieted so much in my life that normally I would have no problem knowing what to eat to lose weight, but my problem is I have several medical issues going on as as a result have a lot of dietary restrictions. The number one restriction is that I cannot have high fructose corn syrup and it is in soooo many things. Also cannot have too much sodium, artifical sweeteners, no fatty types of meat, and limit amount of other fats, and then because I have IBS, I cannot tolerate a lot of fiber. So the things I would normally eat to lose weight many times have the ingredients in it that I cannot have. Makes it hard to figure out what to eat and what would really be helpful is about 2 weeks worth of sample menus. Unfortunately, my insurance does not cover a visit to the nutritionist or dietician unless I have diabetes, which I don't. Does anyone on here happen to know of any web sites where one can put in medical issues and goal of weight loss and have some sample menu's come up? I know this is not my thread, but was hoping someone might know something.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I saw an RD best decision i ever made, learned how to eat around the things i like and not have to worry about diets.
  • meadowslight79
    meadowslight79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So If you have read any of my posts, I have a lot of difficulty losing weight. I'm trying to up calories a little this week and I still feel bloated and disgusting. I still have Easter candy laying around, and I feel bad throwing it out but I wasted a good 140 cals today on Jelly beans. Anyways, I have an appointment next week with a nutritionist in hopes she can give me a new plan to shock my body and get back to losing weight. Has anyone ever seen a nutritionist before? What was your experience with them?

maybe you can donate the candy an outreach place or daycare
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist once a month for 6 months before I had my WLS. I don't know if she was an RD or not--I didn't look that closely at her card. She was very helpful--gave me realistic foods that I could use as substitutions for some of my bad choices. She explained why I was so frequently hungry & gave me a goals per meal for fat, carbs, & protein. She gave me some sample meal plans. She reviewed my food logs--you have to be honest with those or you are wasting everyone's time. I actually wanted to get back in to see her, but my surgeon moved out of the area & I need an order & can't get in with the doctor who took over his patients until next month. I definitely think it can be very helpful to speak with someone who knows what they are talking about.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Saw a proper registered dietician. She told me to stop eating more than a matchbox sized piece of meat, never touch cheese, eggs or prawns and fill my plate with pasta or rice because 'its impossible to put on weight eating carbohydrates'. And yeast extract was terrible because 100g of it contained a lot of salt.

I saw her again three years (and about 42 lb heavier) later. After innocently following her advice. She told me to buy processed microwave meals. And to make sure I kept my carbohydrate intake high, and buy microwave meals with low fat labels. When I didn't eat ding dinners. And that I'd get really big muscles if I ate too much meat when I 'really want to be slim, not muscly'. So I should do an aerobics class once a week.

She was just repeating the official line on dieting and exercise at the time.

I didn't bother seeing her again.

WTF.

I have never seen a nutritionist. When I first went to college I wanted to be an RD but changed my mind... I'm a chemistry major now ;)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get a referral to a RD to find out if i am on the right path biologically. i know losing the weight is but alas...