Juicing and IBS?

Options
neacail
neacail Posts: 228 Member
Just yesterday my juicer arrived in the mail. I have a terrible time getting enough veggies into me, and I was thinking that a juicer would be a great way to do this. As I was digging around on the 'net for recipes, I stumbled across an interesting claim, that has been repeated several times, about a couple of different juicing protocols: that it can have a profound mitigating impact on the symptoms of IBS (Irritable Bowl Syndrome).

My IBS has been dreadful for the last couple of weeks: since I quit smoking and coffee. I'm still getting a bit of caffeine in a green tea every couple of days, and I'm still getting nicotine from the patch. However, the severe reduction in both of these chemicals (which are both known bowel stimulants) has me back on laxatives. :sad:

I get plenty of water in a day (6-12 glasses, which are often 16 ounce glasses), and I'm getting pretty close to my fibre goals (after adding ground, cold pressed, flax seed to my breakfast).

Has anyone had any luck easing the symptoms of IBS with a juicing protocol?

Replies

• sarahkayhoffman
    Options
    Yes, juicing can help. I'd recommend LESS fiber. I work with women who have IBS and IBD daily:)
  • sarahkayhoffman
    Options
    Ps you can find me at www.agutsygirl.com
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, and the link to your site. It looks like I've got some reading to do. :)
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    Whenever I juice, I find that I have zero IBS issues. I was surprised as I thought I would either be on the john all day OR that I would have lots of gas, but nope none of the above. Juicing just made me regular and I had sooo much more energy!

I think you are on the right track.