Pureed Cauliflower My New Mashed Potato

Options
SarahDavs
SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
I just had a record breaking dinner, calorie wise. I eat 6 times a day and had gone a little higher with my calories before dinner so I wanted to take it down as much as possible. Well, I did it! 196 calories for my entire dinner. Thanks to 3 oz of boneless, skinless chicken breast, two large celery sticks (filled with one wedge of laughing cow lite garlic and herb cheese), and 1 cup of pureed cauliflower with a 1/2 tbsp of Brummel & Brown yogurt butter spread.

We've been eating a lot of "cauliflower mash" lately, I can't recommend it enough. The calories are so low and yet it tastes very similar to mashed potatoes. It's delicious.

So: Pureed cauliflower is my new mashed potato. Do you have a new dish that you're eating in replacement of another?

Replies

• _Liz_M_
    _Liz_M_ Posts: 39
    Options
    I began using mashed cauliflower when I was at WW. It is used extensively in their recipe books and works very well. Also good for using on the top of cottage pies etc.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you like that and dig pizza, try making Cauliflower pizza crust with fat free mozzarella. =)
  • brigit628
    brigit628 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    is it really that good? i love my potatoes and would love a healthier substitute
  • sbowl
    sbowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have you roasted cauliflower in the oven? It's delicious :) I break it up and lightly drizzle with a little olive oil and seasonings to taste. I put it on a cookie sheet with Reynolds non-stick foil and when it starts to lightly brown, it's done.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    If you like that and dig pizza, try making Cauliflower pizza crust with fat free mozzarella. =)

i have heard about that I also make pizzas out of portabella mushrooms :)
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have also "riced" cauliflower so that it is more of a coarse grind, then it works nicely as a substitute for rice.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Have you roasted cauliflower in the oven? It's delicious :) I break it up and lightly drizzle with a little olive oil and seasonings to taste. I put it on a cookie sheet with Reynolds non-stick foil and when it starts to lightly brown, it's done.

oh yummy!!!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I add a bit of nutritional yeast to give a cheesy flavor in my faked potatoes.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pureed cauliflower. I could seriously eat the whole batch haha

I love putting nutritional yeast in too! None of my friends know what it is and think I'm so weird for eating "yeast" haha
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Try adding a cooked parsnip to your cauliflower mash. I really love the flavor combo!

And one of my other fave substitutskies is hitting cooked curried carrots with a stick blender and eating that instead of just about any cream-based soup you can think of. LOVE curried carrot soup!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try this out :)
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    Yes! My fiance roasts cauliflower after shaking it up in a bag with olive oil, garlic powder and other seasonings. I love it!
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    I haven't tried nutritional yeast yet but grew up putting brewers yeast on my popcorn, I could see it being a good addition. :-)
  • hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Bump. Will see if I am brave enough to try.
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    is it really that good? i love my potatoes and would love a healthier substitute

I think so! The cauliflower really soaks up any flavor you add too, so even just a tiny bit of butter goes along way. :-)
  • SarahDavs
    Options
    Try adding a cooked parsnip to your cauliflower mash. I really love the flavor combo!

And one of my other fave substitutskies is hitting cooked curried carrots with a stick blender and eating that instead of just about any cream-based soup you can think of. LOVE curried carrot soup!
    You know what? I don't know if I've ever had a parsnip. Is it a little oniony? We've got chives coming up from last summer that I'm going to add next time. :-)

ETA: ah, I googled: root vegetable closely related to the carrot. Would love to try some.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes are still my mashed potatoes...

...but roasted cauliflower is pretty good.
  • aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    mmm i love mashed cauliflower it tastes exactly the same!
  • Ajnyvt09
    Ajnyvt09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump