No I'm not expecting- I'm just fat! New here! Need friends!

Options
Hey! I'm here to lose some weight & to gain some confidence. It hit me about a week ago when I stepped on the scale. I weigh as much as I did when I had my daughter. As my profile says, my fiancé moved in and so did the numbers on my scale. Anyway, I was told today at work 'You're starting to show" and it didn't hit me at first, and then it clicked. I replied "Oh, well I'm not expecting I'm just fat" I'm hoping the look on his face matched how I felt. Anyway, I'm here. Determined and ready to get this started. Looking for friends, motivation, something!

Good luck to everyone on your lifestyle changes! We can do it. Just one day at a time!

:) If only I could lose weight by eating chocolate (I'd be a size 0 in no time, but then again would I actually want to be a size 0) I think not!

Replies

• pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!
  • Bananarheanna
    Bananarheanna Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I've been there before! I've had a coworker ask when I was due before and also a little child argue with me about the "baby" she thought was in my belly! So embarrassing!
  • bluekitty2201
    bluekitty2201 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will be your friend! We need all the support we can get!
  • You can do it!...just take it one day at a time. Im here for that same reason so DONT GIVE UP! Welcome!:happy:
  • Emeener
    Emeener Posts: 28
    Options
    hey, at least you called him out on it, without trying to tread lightly around the situation. Feel free to add me! Weight loss can be fun when you have the right support and motivation :)
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have had that question from people in the past too.. I am almost twice your age, so it was really embarrassing too. I am very motivated to lose weight this time around and am pretty supportive. Feel free to add me if you would like. BTW: I have the same philosophy on chocolate :) I have a chocolate desert every night before I go to bed. I reward myself for being good during the day and always come in below my calorie goals.
  • taz69tazz
    taz69tazz Posts: 57
    Options
    Welcome all things are possible i started my weight lost about a month ago and i have already did a big jump on my weight loss ... i have made several good changes in my life to help along the way ..

If u need a friend anyone can add me :drinker:
  • jwdesiree
    jwdesiree Posts: 31
    Options
    Yikes, some people really, really need to think before speaking.

I'd love to be your buddy... Just started five days ago, so I'm gonna need some friends/support, too! :)
  • Tsunami79
    Tsunami79 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You can add me too, and I feel the same way about chocolate, I love it too much, and wish I could be skinny and eat it all the time, but I can't that is how I became fat.
  • momof4yyyx
    momof4yyyx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my third child 9 months ago, but someone forgot to tell my body. I didn't lose any weight from having him, not even the amount he weighed. It seems so much harder to lose the weight in my thirties than it did in my twenties.
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have been through the ups and downs many times - working harder this time.
    Feel free to add me. Love the MFP support and boost !!

And best of luck for your journey :flowerforyou:
    If you work hard enough - you can enjoy that chocolate :wink:
  • Theresa8267
    Theresa8267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and I have gotten that comment from students and parents in the past. I haven't heard it in a while but then last week, after losing 10lbs I got it from a student. I was really bummed, I thought I was looking better. My kids are 21, 18 and 14 so it is really hard for me to take. But I guess It can be a motivator.
  • CiLLax
    CiLLax Posts: 5
    Options
    I just don't understand how people can be so blunt about that. I never tread on those waters, if I don't know for a fact someone is pregnant I don't mention a thing. It's beyond embarrassing & uncomfortable!
  • agrant85
    agrant85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have seen his face!! Good job for making the start. Feel free to add me. I love to give encouragement as well as receive it. You can do this!
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello, I will be here to support and encourage you along your weight loss journey. I am on here faithfully every day. Don't be so hard on yourself, you will get their. You made the first step, and you will get lots of friends who will support you and encourage you along your journey this is an awesome website. You will have good days and bad, but we will get through them together. You can definitely add me as a friend. Have a blessed week, and you will conquer this. Your Fiance' will love watching your transformation.

Debra :happy:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Had it happen. I did let him carry my grocerys to the car before I informed him of my true condition. Felt it was a fair trade.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand how people can be so blunt about that. I never tread on those waters, if I don't know for a fact someone is pregnant I don't mention a thing. It's beyond embarrassing & uncomfortable!

Some people are just jerks. If they aren't making dumb comments like your coworker they are saying things like "When are you having another?" and then argue if they say you don't want more. I had one person suggest I just didn't want to gain weight and I barely gain anything with my daughter because I sick constantly (which is why I am done).

I do hope he felt a good measure of embarrassment and apologized to you. I am not the most supportive friend out there (in terms of making blanket "way to go" comments) but I do log everyday and try to comment on forum posts and status updates if I have anything of value to add. You can add me if you'd like. :smile:
  • Kittybill1983
    Kittybill1983 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi to you and sorry to hear that you had that experience. Nobody should EVER say that to a woman! Well, I've just stared here 5 days ago and really liking this site a lot.
    I am also a weight watchers online member. Just came across this site when I was looking for nutrition info that was not on WW site. So glad I found this. Actually it is better than the WW site! Easier to navigate and more user-friendly overall.

I quit smoking 1 year ago and the pounds have crept on. Not smoking is not a good excuse for gaining weight. I'm turning 60 in June and want to look and feel and pretty as I did on my 50th birthday. Really....looking in the mirror right now is not a pleasant experience. Soooo, I'm eating right and walking everyday! Try, try, try that's all we can expect of ourselves!

Good luck. It sounds like lots of friendly and supportive people here.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    . Anyway, I was told today at work 'You're starting to show" and it didn't hit me at first, and then it clicked. I replied "Oh, well I'm not expecting I'm just fat"

I love this response. I wish I had the guts to respond to people like that when they are rude. But, I haven't had anyone say anything mean to me about my weight in a long long long time. Not since High School. Well except for maybe two rude responses from strangers and one was a kid who was just well rude for no reason. Anyway, I don't have much experience dealing with that kind of thing maybe cuz I scare the crap out of people. I dunno. Oh yeah one guy at work said something rude but he was like 2x my size and I did some quick take downs, he never said anything mean to me again.

So anyway love your philosophy and it is a lot like that. We have to take one day at a time and if we mess up once we have to move on and not just keep doing it. And if someone does say something rude we are allowed to not care about their feelings when we respond. And it really is more about them than us.
  • gracetoo
    gracetoo Posts: 29
    Options
    What a fantastic response! Amazing!
    I feel your pain, I've been asked that before and it stings, badly.

And I am also with you about the chocolate, if I could lose weight with chocolate, i'd be in GREAT shape!
    Feel free to add me, I have a ways to go still and love the support!