Carbs to Protein Ratio

Options
So I've been told, read and have heard from many people that after a workout you want a 4:1 Carb to protein ratio. That just seems too high to me if I use 2 scoops of whey protein for my post workout drink?? I am misunderstanding this? I assume I am.

Replies

• EmmyLoop
    EmmyLoop Posts: 14
    Options
    Dear Freddy,
    I'm going to brag for a second. My bf is 36 & has been working out for 20 years. I can't get over how much this guy can lift. He is a Hammerstrength powerhouse, but he's not one of those people who's always trying to "max out". He is the strongest guy in the gym every time we go--I can tell just by looking at the weight other guys are lifting/pressing.
    His fave thing to eat after a workout? Raw oysters--no crackers. "Protein!" he says, "so your body can repair itself!" He seems to eat his whole grain carbs mostly in the morning or pre-workout. (oh and he also has BS in kinesiology and nursing.)
    -Emmy
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    its irrelevant... just hit your macros brah
  • Birddog6424
    Birddog6424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There is actually an excellent article in this months Muscular Development that addresses this very subject. The author is Layne Norton, an excellent physician and bodybuilding powerhouse who has done multiple studies on protein synthesis and how it works in the body. There few people who understand this subject better than him.

I could easily ramble out the entire article because it's quite fascinating, but I will distill it down.

The common belief we have had for many years is that it takes a large dose of protein coupled with a massive dose of carbs post workout to stimulate hypertrophy/protein synthesis. Layne's recent study shows you don't need that massive carb ratio. 20 to 30 grams of carbs coupled with 20 to 30 grams of protein had the same result as using 100 grams of carbs.

In a nutshell, no, you don't need that carb to protein ratio. Buy the magazine and check it out.