Stuck in a rut and need some motivation.

Options
Im trying to start eating healthy and hitting the gym again but i cant manage to keep going after i start. Im struggling to find a healthy diet to fit me. I start the gym one week and by the next i quit. I need a kick in the butt!!

Replies

• HLT49
    HLT49 Posts: 1
    Options
    That sounds just like me. I get started for a couple of weeks then work and life gets busy and I stop exercising. So Monkey 02, my challenge to you is to try for three weeks, that's is just 3weeks in a row. I will take the same challenge. What do you think? :smile:
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are trying to make to much of a change at once. I was very resistant to eating habit changes and I also hated exercise (secretly I still do); however I decided to start with smaller changes. I gave up soda and haven't had one in over thirty days. I then added three days a week of exercise and now I do five or more. I started adding more fruits and vegetables, but I still have my weekly pizza and beer or daily chocolate. I have done this, for I realized that through my life I have always done a drastic "diet"change and it never stuck. My current habits are sticking and working for me. Find what works for you and go for it. You have nothing to lose but weight and all to gain in health.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm not struggling with the exercise (although I'm trying to do 15,000 steps in a day which ain't happening) but I am struggling with the food. I'm usually 1 or the other. I eat well but can't get motivated to exercise or I exercise every day but eat not so great.

I don't know what will give you motivation, sometimes we just need that switch in our head to flick & BAM
  • monkey02
    monkey02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thats the same problem i have been having. realizing to take it once step at a time is tough when your expecting results quick.
  • monkey02
    Options
    Thanks! im going that route, i chose to go vegetarian for as long as i can keep it up. finding dishes to make in my kitchen has been interesting and rewarding. Ive successfully completed my 5th day not eating meat!
  • tmremramr
    tmremramr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    And my problem is I can't get a work out buddy and I have all the workout equipment in my house that a gym has, it's just already paid for.
    I let myself cheat once a week, but I've found that the more I up my workout, the hungrier I am... so
    You can do it!!!!

Hope that helps!!!!
  • MandyPhoe
    MandyPhoe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Im trying to start eating healthy and hitting the gym again but i cant manage to keep going after i start. Im struggling to find a healthy diet to fit me. I start the gym one week and by the next i quit. I need a kick in the butt!!

Heya monkey02

I think it is pretty much been said here, baby steps. I used to be the exact same way as you. I am terrible at keeping to things. That said, what has worked for me (and I hope will work for you) was a strong support community who celebrated when I celebrated and kept to motivating me when I fell off the wagon. Here are a few things for you to consider;

1) BABY STEPS - I think it is great that you have chosen to become vegetarian. Remember that if you fall off the wagon, it is not an end all, you pick up and start again. When you see success with the one little project that you are working on, it gives you the motivation to work on more. By the time you take on more, you would have been accustomed to the little project that you started on earlier.

2) REMEMBER THAT IT IS NOT AN EASY FIX - A lot of people say that it is not a 'diet' it is a lifestyle change. This cannot ring more true. When you find an eating & exercise plan that works for you, it is easier for you to stick to. Look for one that you can enjoy. Change is never easy but when you stick to it, you will come to wonder why you would keep up with the unhealthy habits that you had before.

3) DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP - I don't know about you., but I found it harder to keep to something when I fell off the wagon and I was very harsh on myself for that. Yes, we are our own worst critics but we should also remember that no one can change who we are but ourselves. If we berate ourselves for messing up all the time, it is very hard to get the motivation to start up again. So quite simply, if you mess up, recognise it and work towards being better later. It is that simple, if you had a bad day, remember that a brand new day/start is just one sleep away and work towards that.

I hope this helps and the best of luck!
  • monkey02
    Options
    Thanks MandyPhoe! i love it
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I trained for my first one exclusively on a treadmill and got top 10 in my age division out of 65. My kids never said I wasn't a real runner after that!
    people who run are the most wonderful people I have ever met and especially the runners on here!!
    couch25k is a good program.
    I ran 250 miles last month and am training for a marathon....and began a little at a time. :) the diet follows naturally
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.
    To change your body, you must change your mind.
    You don't get what you want. You get what you work for.
    Losing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Staying overweight is hard. Choose your hard.
    Persistence is far more important than perfection.
    If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.
    If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
    Our eyes are placed in front because it's more important to look ahead than to look back.
    Make one healthy choice. Then, make another.
    You can have results or excuses. You can't have both.
    Stop searching for strength and willpower. Start creating it.
    Being defeated is often temporary. Giving up makes it permanent.
    Stop saying I wish. Start saying I will.
    Strive for progress, not perfection.
    There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them.
    Winners don't quit and quitters don't win.
    NOW GO OUT THERE AND DO IT!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just drive to the gym every day. You don't have to go in, but make the drive. Try it for a month.
  • sjanes9
    sjanes9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Best advice I've seen so far.

To change your body, you must change your
  • ivette52490
    ivette52490 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Honestly I started with small goals like it was mentioned above. Every time a month passed I changed my goals and made new ones to stick. I signed up for the gym and another thing that I did to stick to the routine is decided to take all my shower things and rent a locker at my gym. So if I happen to want to shower, I need to go to the gym, and if I am already in the gym, might as well workout. I mean, it sounds very extreme, but it has worked! I have been going consistently for 3 months and I have lost around 30 lbs. So sometimes making yourself go the first couple of weeks, even if it's a pain, will be rewarding later.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    - Make a playlist full of beast mode music
    - Write out every detail of your goal day. (What you're gonna do, what you're gonna wear etc..)
    - Make part of your goal "REAL" ie hang up those jeans you can't fit on your door.
    - Every time you go out and buy some junk food but the same amount in healthy food.

That's all I got right now.

Hope it helps
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    I suggest finding an activity that you enjoy and is engaging... for instance, I enjoy archery, geocaching, biking, and gaming... I live in North Dakota, so I haven't been able to bike or geocache for what seems like ages, however in some places I can see grass. :drinker: Right back to topic. I ended up purchasing DDR pads and DDR for my XBOX360, then I got a kinect and several games for that. It has added variety to my routine, so I haven't gotten bored yet. For me that was the key. I haven't lost any weight really though, but I just found out that I have hypoglycemia, so hopefully in about 6 more weeks, the meds will kick in and results will start showing. In the mean time, my gamer score has gone up and I can shoot further with my bow. :glasses:
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We're all in the same boat! That's why we're here. But I agree with all the posters who advocate baby steps. One day at a time. If you want to do it you will find your way. I found cooking at home made it much easier for me to stick to my calorie goals. Good luck!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    To change your body, you must change your mind.
    You don't get what you want. You get what you work for.
    Losing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Staying overweight is hard. Choose your hard.
    Persistence is far more important than perfection.
    If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up.
    If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
    Our eyes are placed in front because it's more important to look ahead than to look back.
    Make one healthy choice. Then, make another.
    You can have results or excuses. You can't have both.
    Stop searching for strength and willpower. Start creating it.
    Being defeated is often temporary. Giving up makes it permanent.
    Stop saying I wish. Start saying I will.
    Strive for progress, not perfection.
    There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them.
    Winners don't quit and quitters don't win.
    NOW GO OUT THERE AND DO IT!

This is great! Can't add to this.

Nike's "JUST DO IT" logo is one of my faves.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Maybe the gym isn't the right one for you right now. Or maybe you need to do other forms of exercise-walking, roller skating, dancing, Leslie Sansone videos, bicycling, or whatever. When you find something you enjoy-it won't be a chore.

And maybe instead of"dieting" you just need to change your "lifestyle" and make better food choices" Have a grilled chicken sammich instead of a super size burger. Condiments on the side. Salad and fat free dressing instead of french fries. Air popped popcorn instead of greasy chips. In other words, make small changes. Add in healthy, nutritious foods and subtract empty calorie foods. Set yourself up to succeed in small bits and bites instead of setting yourself up to fail at major undertakings.
  • ewalker160
    ewalker160 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been most successful with exercising once I came to terms with a few things and built my "plan" around that:
    - it has to be something I enjoy doing ( ie, dancing)
    - it cant be too strenuous - at least not at first... i don't want to be in pain... (just being real...)
    - it has to be convenient and flexible-- ie, i can do it when I want, where I want
    - i have to have variety because I get bored easily

As a result,
    - I do a lot of walking-sometimes at the park while listening to a book on tape, sometimes in place at home with my "walk away the pounds" video
    - I dance using my Wii and my "Hip Hop Dance Experience" and "Just Dance 4" games- sometimes I compete against my daughter
    - sometimes I walk on the treadmill at the gym and sometimes on my treadmill at home
    Because I was able to define what I like and what I wanted, I have been more successful and consistent with exercising than I ever have. My work outs on average only burn about 200 calories, but I am consistent and happy and I am losing weight steadily!
  • mbarry100
    mbarry100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the best piece of advice i could give you is to do exercise you enjoy. It can be difficult to push yourself into rushing to the gym after work...but if you find a class in the gym that you actually enjoy you will push yourself into going. I started spinning three years ago, alongside a healthy lifestyle and at first thought it was crazy but after seeing the results i now love it and missed my class by 10 minutes on Monday and nearly cried! (I know-i'm a terribly sad individual). It is the only thing i've every done that makes me feel like i've pushed myself to my absolute limit.

Also, when you're tired after work...you're not really tired. You actually need to hit the gym to boost your energy! Come into work that morning or tell someone you know well that you're going to the gym that evening for a class and that way you will feel compelled into going.

Good Luck.