Rest Days, do I need them?

Options
I've been doing the ripped in 30 dvd, for 7 weeks now and have only started couting my calories recently, I used to eat terribly and am now starting to see real results..do I really need to take at least one day off a week? I actually enjoy the dvds but if I'm actually sabatoging myself by not taking a break once a week I'd like to know everyones opinion.

Replies

• magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's counterintuitive but most people honestly lose more when they have rest days. You're better able to push yourself hard after a break too
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    it depends. If you want them, have them. I started bumping up my exercise days to more frequent to allow myself more lax on the weekends. Plus, I like being in a groove of exercise.

When I start feeling fatigued, I know I need a rest.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do something physical everyday, some days more than others. I have been doing this since November 2nd and have not experienced any problems.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Rest days are very necessary.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I think of resting as making sure that each muscle group gets adequate rest before being exercised again. 24 hours is usually enough before working that same muscle group again. I would say that 1 day a week is ideal, depending on your fitness level and how well you feel you are recovering after each workout. Some people need a day in-between each workout (think lifting, something strenuous), which is fine. Not allowing muscle groups adequate recovery time between workouts will do a couple of things. 1) Leads to injury from overuse & 2) Your strength will be diminished, leading to a less effective subsequent workout. Rest is important, just make sure you don't rest too much. That's really where people get in trouble.