not seeing results...

Options
Hi all,

I started eating well and exercising (stopped smoking and drinking too) the first week of March. I weighed 153 and posted on here around my second week for support.

I've been under the impression that the main thing behind weight loss is calories in < calories out. I exercise 6/7 days a week for 45-60 minutes. I lift weights (as of last week) 2 or 3 times a week for a half hour. This is my sixth week, and at the beginning of my fifth week I had lost 4 pounds, relatively close together (almost all during the fourth week). I was expecting more consistent and rapid results because I've been eating 1200 calories of good food, cut out tons of alcohol, chips, soda, all my vices.

What is going on? Why is this weight not melting off of me? I eat a lot of protein, minimal processed sugar, I'm always under on my fat and sodium. I'm just lost on why this isn't working for me. I switch up my exercise between bike, elliptical, and treadmill. I can almost guarantee that with diet and exercise i'm around a 7000 calorie deficit per week. Why have I not lost 12 pounds? What am I doing wrong??

Replies

• TraceysJourney
    TraceysJourney Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    HI
    Nearly every one will tell you that you are not eating enough, there is some really good information on here about eating above your BMR but below your TDEE.
    I am sure some one will post a link , sorry i can not be more help full.
    Its very frustrating but hang in there :)
  • TraceyPowiesnik
    Options
    Have you lost inches instead ?

I am afraid I don't have the answer but am eagerly awaiting to see what other say. Like you I have given up alcohol I always ate healthily but probably just a little too much and I barely exercised. Since the beginning of March I have done the same as you, I am now walking 3miles a day (55 minutes) brisk walk . In the first 10 days I lost 6 lbs now I am stuck and have been for the past couple of weeks. I have tried changing things same calorific totals 1200 but changing the times when I am eating this, ie main meal at lunchtime etc

Any tips anyone..please
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hey, the previous poster (tracey had it right on. Try this link. It will set you on the right road :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Can't say anything until you open your diary...What is your height, if you are really petite like 4'10-5'3 , eating 1200 might work for you, but I think you are not eating enough, you need to eat back half of your exercise calories....are you measuring portion sizes, you need to give another month at least for your body to adjust to your new goals.Patience and consistency is the key...Also take measurements cause the scale does lie..You are not eating enough, body is not letting go off fat as it is lacking nutrition...
  • TraceysJourney
    TraceysJourney Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey, the previous poster (tracey had it right on. Try this link. It will set you on the right road :)

Thanks i could not figure out how to post the link :( Not sure if i even have this quote thing right lol
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Thanks i could not figure out how to post the link :( Not sure if i even have this quote thing right lol

No Worries.
    To the OP, and anyone else who's not aware of it, it's a long read but well worth the effort.
  • magsimus89
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick replies! I will check out that link.

I am 5'7" so average, in an ok weight range, but my goal is 125 so it's a little distressing. I make mistakes now and then too, of course, but I'm much better about my nutrition now than ever before. I will change my diary settings.

I have lost an inch around my hips and my waist, but stayed the same everywhere else, and I bloat like crazy at night, even though I only drink water and watch my sodium.

As for eating too few calories, I find it is SO HARD to eat more than that! I feel so full every day and sometimes I don't even hit 1200. People always say eat more veggies but they have hardly any calories! If I eat more, I always go over on fat or sugar. ALWAYS. It's very hard to find a balance. Any suggestions there?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

I started eating well and exercising (stopped smoking and drinking too) the first week of March....

This is my sixth week, and at the beginning of my fifth week I had lost 4 pounds...

Why have I not lost 12 pounds? What am I doing wrong??

4 pounds in a single week is not going to be a regular occurrence (unless you are starting out extremely heavy, then its possible to have a few weeks like that). Also keep in mind weight loss isn't linear; you can lose a bunch one week and nothing the next, even if you do the exact same thing. I don't see much info in your profile so it's hard to say, but if you are starting out with not too much weight to lose, then 4 pounds in 6 weeks is pretty great. Even if you do have much to lose, 4 pounds is still the right direction, and this takes a lot of patience.

oh plus what they ^^ all said about probably needing more food-fuel, read the links they posted.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

No Worries.
    To the OP, and anyone else who's not aware of it, it's a long read but well worth the effort.

PU_239 made a shorter version of the same info,
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm
  • magsimus89
    Options
    Will do, thank you =]
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If I eat more, I always go over on fat or sugar. ALWAYS. It's very hard to find a balance. Any suggestions there?

as long as most of the sugar is from foods like fruits, and you are not diabetic, ignore sugar. Just pay attention to carbs; sugars count there too, and as long as you don't go over that too much, you're good.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick replies! I will check out that link.

I am 5'7" so average, in an ok weight range, but my goal is 125 so it's a little distressing. I make mistakes now and then too, of course, but I'm much better about my nutrition now than ever before. I will change my diary settings.

I have lost an inch around my hips and my waist, but stayed the same everywhere else, and I bloat like crazy at night, even though I only drink water and watch my sodium.

As for eating too few calories, I find it is SO HARD to eat more than that! I feel so full every day and sometimes I don't even hit 1200. People always say eat more veggies but they have hardly any calories! If I eat more, I always go over on fat or sugar. ALWAYS. It's very hard to find a balance. Any suggestions there?

Eat calorie dense food, like nuts, yogurt, low fat milk, dark chocolate, almonds, chicken, fish, whole grains...if you don't eat enough you wont lose weight and fat....You have to also up your protein level....I eat 1200 and more , I am just 5' 1 .5'' , still manage to eat that much.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

No Worries.

PU_239 made a shorter version of the same info,
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

There's a more compact version, that you might find easier here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy