Anyone lost 100+ pounds without strength training??

Options
A little history on me. I'm 38, 5'5" female. SW was 284, CW 229. I started losing weight on August 6, 2013 after the doc told me I had to either lose wight or I was being put on meds for diabetes and blood pressure.

So the first 4 months, I cut my calories to MFP recommendation and started walking. I walked almost every day and still had cheat days here and there with my eating, but managed to lose 42 pounds in the first 4 months. That is great.

Then I started adding in squats, lunges, crunches, push ups, and weight lifting with dumb bells. I have done all of this at home, btw. My weight loss has almost completely stalled. Last month I lost 7 lbs doing the 30 day squat challenge, but that was only the first 3 weeks. The last week, where you are doing 200-250 squats a day, I haven't lost anything.

I understand that my body is changing, building muscle and such. Yes my clothes fit better, yes I feel better, yes I take my measurements and am losing inches. Last month alone I lost 2 inches off my hips and 1 1/2 off my waist. That is all great. But I'm not 150 lbs and close to my goal weight. I'm still 80 pounds from there.

I thought I hit a plateau so I started running in January instead of walking. Scale hardly moved. I ran so much I got hurt. Took 3 weeks off of exercise completely and started walking again March 1 and doing the 30 Day Squat Challenge. Lost 7 pounds in the first 3 weeks and haven't moved since.

So I guess I am wondering if I should drop the strength training for a while and just focus on cardio. Like I said, I am not close to my goal weight so being basically stalled for 4 months is very frustrating. I see all the hard work that I am doing and I want to see results on the scale. Who doesn't?

What do I do?

Replies

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you need to stop obsessing about the scale. It is just a number. It has nothing to do with how you look or feel.

If you are losing inches but the scale is not moving that means you are losing fat and also gaining LBM. That does not happen often. Usually you can do one or the other. You have the best case scenario going for you! Enjoy it while you can. It won't last.

The scale will eventually move. Don't worry about when.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

If you start lifting weights and build more muscle you wont be losing as much weight right away. Give it time, don;t forget the cardio, and make sure to get the calories and protein you need to support the new muscle growth

Also as you add more muscle you will burn more fat just sitting there.

I would get a pair of jeans that are snug, and put them on each week after you wiegh in (make sure they were washed). You might notice that your weight isn't going down but the jeans fit better.
  • fvshkatie
    fvshkatie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am starting OVER again after abandoning exercise years ago and begin binge eating off and on. BUT when I was successful at it, I measured in inches, NOT pounds. Muscle is heavier, as we all know so as long as you are losing INCHES, you are making progress. I have just started exercising again but being a lot older now, I'm much more cautious. I haven't started strength training yet, just cardio but hopefully I can kick myself in the *kitten* to start it again very soon. In the meantime don't be down on yourself because the scale should not be your focus. Eating healthy, treating your body right and enjoying life should be your main thing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat, just stuck at 188 lbs. I joined the gym 2 weeks ago and haven't lost any weight since (I go up and down 1 lb), but I measured myself today and seems to have lost 2 inches at the waist. So I guess there's hope yet. And yes it's normal, the trainer warned me too...

The thing really is that if you stop strength training, you'll lose fat and muscle, which is not what you want. So you'll end up skinny fat. I also figured out that I can possibly set up my goal higher with strength training, so that's 10 less lbs to lose...
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

First off this is wrong but you all know this?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what your doing as long as you are losing inches. Isn't the size of your pants more important than the number on the scale?
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds on Atkins diet...then when I quit the diet I gained back 40. At that time I realized a complete lifestyle change was needed. I did diet and exercise and lost the 40 pounds that I had regained.

Now I monitor my calories all the time. It is second nature. Message me if you need some food ideas.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Bump

2nd post, just keep doing what you are doing strength and cardio along with the calorie deficit. We all reach a plateau at some point (type plateau into the search bar?)

It all takes time, please don`t be disheartened or think about giving up...you are doing a fantastic job...it will keep on falling into place x
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you need to stop obsessing about the scale. It is just a number. It has nothing to do with how you look or feel.

If you are losing inches but the scale is not moving that means you are losing fat and also gaining LBM. That does not happen often. Usually you can do one or the other. You have the best case scenario going for you! Enjoy it while you can. It won't last.

The scale will eventually move. Don't worry about when.

THIS. The scale will indeed move at some point--it just doesn't happen with any rhyme or reason when you're new to lifting or have just returned after a long break. I'm in that same boat--lifting and making regular strength gains, losing inches and body fat, but the scale hovers around the same number for ages...maybe a month or more. Then it will suddenly drop 3 or 4 pounds. That's how it's been going for me. Don't sweat the scale and keep lifting the weights. You'll be much more fit and happier with your body if you continue lifting. You WILL lose scale weight at some point, but it's really not something you can count on seeing every week.

If you feel that's gonna do your head in, then stop lifting and do cardio and hop on the scale each week. It will probably move at a rate that makes you feel better. But know that the number you see dwindling isn't just fat--it's also lean body mass you're losing, which is what you are preserving via strength training. That's the rub.
  • happycauseIride
    Options
    Thank you all for your response. I understand completely what you are all saying and I agree 100%. Weight lifting is very productive. My problem is that I am dealing with a running injury that I know would not have happened if I weighed less and there was less wear and tear on my body if there wasn't so much weight to begin with.

It's not like I'm 150 pounds. I'm still a long ways from there.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    neither am I but with the right weight lifting routine, cardio isn't required, and if you're in a deficit the loss with happen.
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 100 down and transitioning into adding more and more weight training instead of cardio. I didn't start earlier because I was afraid I'd get frustrated over a fake "stall" like you're talking about.

But of course now that I'm here I wish I had started earlier.

If I could talk to me 60 pounds ago I'd say keep up with the cardio-- but adding even one lifting section a week would have helped me hang on to more of my lean mass, and I wish I'd started earlier.
  • happycauseIride
    Options
    I'm almost 100 down and transitioning into adding more and more weight training instead of cardio. I didn't start earlier because I was afraid I'd get frustrated over a fake "stall" like you're talking about.

But of course now that I'm here I wish I had started earlier.

If I could talk to me 60 pounds ago I'd say keep up with the cardio-- but adding even one lifting section a week would have helped me hang on to more of my lean mass, and I wish I'd started earlier.

Thank you. That is what I needed to hear.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" and topped out a few years ago at just under 400 lbs. I played sports in high school and college. Now I'm an attorney practicing commercial litigation and I'm at my desk 8-10 hours a day on average.

I started losing by quitting soda, cold turkey.

Next I made a commitment to only having one serving per meal. Then, serving = plateful...so I'd pile it on. It was okay though because one heaping plate of food was less than I had been eating.

The one-serving-and-no-soda method got me down to around 320 lbs. I started counting calories last summer and joined MFP some time around November. I was 306 lbs. When I joined.

In late January 2013, I started doing Jillian Michaels DVDs. I have 30 Day Shred and Six Week Six Pack. I do a minimum of 30 minutes a day at high intensity, a minimum of six days a week. I push myself as hard as I can...and then push a little harder.

Since joining MFP, I've lost about 34 lbs. I'm at 272 lbs now with a goal of getting down between 220 - 230 lbs. My plan is to add lifting/weight training when I get down around 240 -250 lbs. My goal is to be able to work out with my brother. He's a D1 Running Back and in great shape.

Here's my goal (My brother. He's 6'1" 223 lbs):
    63458_10152728806300414_1292805956_n.jpg
  • CountryStrongNicole
    CountryStrongNicole Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't start exercising until I had lost the first 50 pounds. Then I went to working out at home occasionally. I lasted 6 minutes before I was exhausted. I started with doing HIIT exercises and gave it my all each time. Eventually I worked my way to 12 minutes. But I was still only working out every so often. I didn't go to regular exercise until I hit the 90 pound loss mark. Then went to Jillian Michael DVDs and began working out 5 days a week. About 6 weeks ago I started walking/running on a treadmill. At my start I walked 5 minutes ran 2... and worked that pattern. Now I run 10/8/5/3 and walk 3/2/1/1 and change up my mph. Using the HIIT training has completely increased my endurance and speed. I have only recently (at 115 pound loss) added in strength training after I have done my cardio. I have stalled on the scale but my NSV's are definitely there. I do use a HRM with chest band to have accurate calorie burn info.

I also gave up soda, alcohol and fast food. (I will eat subway now and then.) I only in the last year added alcohol back in moderation. I also, drink a LOT of H2O.

So It can be done... but what I noticed is that the toning was slower during the weight loss. So now I am playing catch up with my abs, thighs and arms.
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

First off this is wrong but you all know this?

Muscle is more dense than fat. If you took a one inch 'cube' of fat, and wieghed it next to a one inch 'cube' of muscle, the muscle would weigh more.

It;s heavier by volume, hence the phrase. You can pick at the words, but the intention is there.
  • Spindrift2012
    Spindrift2012 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just to say that you still lost 7lbs in the last month so your weight loss hasn't stalled at all. It won't all come off at the same rate. I lost over 40lbs last year - some weeks I felt I'd really worked at it and nothing happened. Other weeks I had losses when I didn't expect it.
    You don't want to lose it too fast so that your body and skin have time to adjust. I think using some weights will help with the shape of your body. Most important is to find an exercise you enjoy so that you stick with it over time.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Lost 70ish lbs without any exercise. I went to the gym, been maintaining the weight. Still eating low carb to try not to gain anything back. It can be done.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options

If you start lifting weights and build more muscle you wont be losing as much weight right away. Give it time, don;t forget the cardio, and make sure to get the calories and protein you need to support the new muscle growth

Also as you add more muscle you will burn more fat just sitting there.

I would get a pair of jeans that are snug, and put them on each week after you weigh in (make sure they were washed). You might notice that your weight isn't going down but the jeans fit better.

NO NO NO........... Muscle is DENSER than Fat it does not weigh more. An ounce of muscle is = to an ounce of fat. Now if you must say it you can say: An Equal Volume of Muscle is heavier than an Equal Volume of Fat. OR 1lb of Fat takes up more room than 1lb of muscle. Good advice on the snug pair of pants. :bigsmile:
    Opps I see someone else pointed this out.... :wink:

As to LIfting I'd do CARDIO and Circuit Training (which is a cardio weight trainig exercise) go from station to station with minimal rest 30-60 sec between sets. Aim for 3 full circuits (of like 6-8 stations, 8-12 reps each) in 30-40 minutes, Two to Three times a week. Three other days of just Cardio 30-60 mins... Search info on Circuit training.