Not enough calories - too much sugar according to MFP

Options
Hi Guys,

I am trying to lose weight- not looking for drastic results but want to lose about a stone. I have started exercising for around 1 hour, 5-6 times a week and have got into set sort of meals. However, I am having trouble as I am only getting to about 800-1000 cals a day- which is ok for me all the meals I eat are healthy- a typical day is bran flakes with mix of semi skimmed milk and water, good for you tuscan bean soup for lunch and fish and vegetables in an evening. It says I am not having enough calories but my sugar is usually 0 left and im not having anything sweet- I am finding the bran flakes cereal is high in sugar although it isnt sweet! Any help or suggestions for a healthier/less sugar content cereal would be great :)

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Ignore sugar. It need not be tracked unless you have a medical reason too track or avoid it.
  • raspberryk
    raspberryk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How about Muesli? Some can be high in sugar but you can get some healthy ones or make your own it's easy. You could swap milk to whole, not add water, or use natural yoghurt and add berries.
    Also you could make your own soup which might be better for you and it would probably contain less sugar.
    X
  • melissakatemey81
    Options
    Try to increase your calories to 1200. Believe me I know how difficult it is cos I'm i the same boat, I used to average 800 cals (sometimes less than that on my exercise days). I started MFP at the end of Jan and lost 11lbs but now I've come to a grinding halt and havent lost anything for about 2 weeks.
    From all the advice I've been given basically everyone said I needed to increase my calories. I'm a really fussy eater so its not easy for me but I'm giving it a go.

Rather increase your calories now than get to where I am and have to increase later cos you werent eating enough to start with.
  • landerson71
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice everyone! I think I need to increase general intake of food- I seem to be on a low carb high protein regime at the minute and im not sure if this is good either?
  • melissakatemey81
    Options
    thats what i was doing as well... barely any carbs and mostly protein. I lost weight at the beginning but now I've stalled. From all the advice I've been given I've now added a few carbs to lunch (3 baby potatoes) with chicken. Apparently its especially good when you exercising as well...

So will see what happens, good luck :smile:
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Ignore sugar. It need not be tracked unless you have a medical reason too track or avoid it.

Do not ignore sugar (unless from fruit)!!! Many cereals and low fat/fat free foods have added sugar to enhance their flavor - this is the sugar that NOBODY should be consuming. Even the hugely popular Chobani Greek yogurt (with fruit) is high in sugar. The bottom line is you need to read your food labels and make sure you know what you are putting into your body. :smile:
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Do not ignore sugar (unless from fruit)!!! Many cereals and low fat/fat free foods have added sugar to enhance their flavor - this is the sugar that NOBODY should be consuming. Even the hugely popular Chobani Greek yogurt (with fruit) is high in sugar. The bottom line is you need to read your food labels and make sure you know what you are putting into your body. :smile:

Yeah but cereal with NO sugar would taste like cardboard. (actually cornflakes without any apparently tastes like iron filings)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Cereal isn't really a great breakfast, try poached eggs on toast?
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options

Ignore both sugar and this person. Anybody banging on about sugar intake should not be giving nutrition advice.
  • landerson71
    Options
    thanks for all advice- its the cereal which is 12 in sugar- its just bran flakes and the soup i have for lunch which is 9 it soon adds up! These are both supposedly healthy options but you never know these days. Youre right cereal probably isnt the most ideal breakfast but I need to have something I can eat whilst at work and although a very bad excuse it is convenient :)