Intermittent fasting?

Options
Been reading up about intermittent fasting for lean gains, think of trying something new as ive been stuck for a few months now! Anyone tried it? Basically not eating for 16hrs then eating all your macros in 8 hour period then starting again?
I'm thinking of trying it as I'm always binge eating at night and going over my deficit, only problem is I'm very active with a TDEE of around 3000!

Does it really work? Is it worth trying for a week or 2?

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks here on MFP are doing IF. You may want to ask your questions here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

You'll get more positive feedback and support.

Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Been reading up about intermittent fasting for lean gains, think of trying something new as ive been stuck for a few months now! Anyone tried it? Basically not eating for 16hrs then eating all your macros in 8 hour period then starting again?
    I'm thinking of trying it as I'm always binge eating at night and going over my deficit, only problem is I'm very active with a TDEE of around 3000!

Sounds like you need to learn some self control not engage in a magical diet
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Despite everything I've read, my experience with IF is that daily calories and macros trump everything else. There's no miracles that come from feed windows and all that crap. Eat a deficit and you'll lose, eat a surplus and you'll gain.

IF is just a tool to use within that context. How good it is really comes down to how well it fits your preferences/lifestyle.
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    So if it all boils down to calories in vs calories out and staying in defecit, then what's the point of IF?
  • wattsy84
    Options

Wouldn't of said magical diet,as when I started in jan I was eating at 1200 thanks to MFP and stuck to it, then I read up that I was under eating, so I upped it, then upped it some more, I go over my calories occasionally but never over my TDEE!
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Wouldn't of said magical diet,as when I started in jan I was eating at 1200 thanks to MFP and stuck to it, then I read up that I was under eating, so I upped it, then upped it some more, I go over my calories occasionally but never over my TDEE!

I've been using IF for a week now and the weight is dropping im eating for 8 hours solid hitting my calorie intake and then fasting for the remaining 16 hours.

The idea is that back long before we had easy access to food hunters would catch and kill food from which everyone would feast over a few hours then they would go without food for x amount of time till it was time to hunt again.

Since doing it my craving and appetite has gone down but im still hitting my calorie intake as to not impact my deficit. I plan on doing it for 6-8 weeks then will re assess if i should go back to 'normal' eating habits for a while.

I think people are opposed to it as it's not natural to some.
  • SGSmallman
    Options

I've been using IF for a week now and the weight is dropping im eating for 8 hours solid hitting my calorie intake and then fasting for the remaining 16 hours.

The idea is that back long before we had easy access to food hunters would catch and kill food from which everyone would feast over a few hours then they would go without food for x amount of time till it was time to hunt again.

Since doing it my craving and appetite has gone down but im still hitting my calorie intake as to not impact my deficit. I plan on doing it for 6-8 weeks then will re assess if i should go back to 'normal' eating habits for a while.

I should add this is not for everyone and because of my high fat % it is working well. same as any training program or intake plan it will work for some and not for others
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I lost over 30lbs using I.F

It was life changing and I'd recommend it anyone!
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Maybe worth a try to see if it curbs my cravings in the evening, because if I start at 10am eat through till 6pm that would fit my lifestyle due to working 8am-4.30pm
    I can eat at 10am (morning break)
    Eat again at 1pm (lunch break)
    Eat at 3pm (afternoon break)
    Large meal + extra for dinner till 6pm
    Would that work or do you need to be eating every 30mins or something during the feeding window?
  • tricksee
    Options
    Would that work or do you need to be eating every 30mins or something during the feeding window?

eat whenever you like during the feeding window. Doesn't matter. It's not eatting outside of it that's the problem.

For the first week you'll be hungry and feel pangs here and there. Black coffee and water can take the edge off that.

After the first week you'll adapt to the fasting window and it won't be as bad. After that, you'll not be dependant on food every 3 hours and not be hungry during your fasts.
  • SGSmallman
    Options
    Agree with Tricksee 0 calorie drinks like coffee, water and green tea are natural hunger suppressants and can help you through the tough times. And as he said it doesn't matter if how you intake so long as you're doing it in the window.

Currently for me i'm consuming 1800-1900 calories a day in a 6 hour window, slightly upped on heavy training days which is still a deficit to maintain healthy weight loss

Biggest tip i can recommend is make sure you're getting at least 7 hours sleep ideal range is 7-9
  • wattsy84
    Options

eat whenever you like during the feeding window. Doesn't matter. It's not eatting outside of it that's the problem.

For the first week you'll be hungry and feel pangs here and there. Black coffee and water can take the edge off that.

After the first week you'll adapt to the fasting window and it won't be as bad. After that, you'll not be dependant on food every 3 hours and not be hungry during your fasts.

Does that include protein shakes? I usually wake with breakfast and a shake at 7am so basically still do the same but at 10am (in my eating window)
    Keep water intake the same? Still keep food clean?
  • SGSmallman
    Options
    I have two diet whey protein shakes in my intake as i just can't handle that much food right now. I still consume 8 glasses of water on a non workout day obviously it goes up during training (but not including shakes, green tea etc in that count) but that's just me i enjoy drinking water.
  • tricksee
    Options
    Does that include protein shakes? I usually wake with breakfast and a shake at 7am so basically still do the same but at 10am (in my eating window)
    Keep water intake the same? Still keep food clean?

No protein shakes during your fasting periods as they contain calories. Black coffee or tea and water only. You can go for the zero calorie sodas/energy drink but I'd suggest having some damn discipline and sticking to H20 only, brother.

I'd suggest upping your water intake a lot.

Clean foods obviously better as they contain less cals therefore you can eat more. Didn't really matter what I ate in my experience though, the fasting window/periods where enough.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Cool, I love water too and drink 2litres while at work and more in evenings, big green tea fan and black coffee no sugar is no problem for me! Not a big fan of soda! Thanks for your help guys, think ill give this ago, I last ate at 6pm last night so I'm starting from now!!!!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    So if it all boils down to calories in vs calories out and staying in defecit, then what's the point of IF?

It's just a tool... no different than eating every 2 hours to avoid binging.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I tend to agree with this. I've had good luck with it when I hit my calorie goals, but I still gain when I go over. There is nothing magical about a "feed window"
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Do you spend any time on a more traditional eating schedule with similar calorie intake?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Maybe worth a try to see if it curbs my cravings in the evening, because if I start at 10am eat through till 6pm that would fit my lifestyle due to working 8am-4.30pm
    I can eat at 10am (morning break)
    Eat again at 1pm (lunch break)
    Eat at 3pm (afternoon break)
    Large meal + extra for dinner till 6pm

Nope, according to the plan/structure, you can eat whenever you want as long as it's within that 8 hour window. You can eat 2 huge meals, or graze constantly... it's up to you.
  • tricksee
    Options

Do you spend any time on a more traditional eating schedule with similar calorie intake?

I've never changed my calorie intake as I do not count calories. Never have and never will. The only thing I incorporated was the fasting and eating window. My food choices hardly changed.