Too much cinnamon?

Options
I mean, is it possible to eat too much cinnamon?

We all know how healthy cinnamon is. 2 or 3 teaspoon a day for me. Sometimes even more.

Replies

• AussieTrainer
    Options
    I hope not because I can easily eat a container in a week. On peanut butter, cereal, pancakes, in coffee... ok, mostly its the peanut butter.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get through loads of cinnamon, too, generally in coffee.

I've read it depends on the type - if it's cassia cinnamon I've heard it's slightly less safe than the other type, Ceylon cinnamon.

But I'd imagine the amount you'd have to eat for it to be "dangerous" means it's pretty much a non-issue.

There does seem to be side effects, though. As long as you're not getting them, eat away!

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1002-CASSIA CINNAMON.aspx?activeIngredientId=1002&activeIngredientName=CASSIA CINNAMON
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Gives me the runs.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I find it weird that people track spices and herbs. I mean, seriously?
  • IFlover90
    IFlover90 Posts: 62
    Options
    I wasn't talking about calories in cinnamon. Come on!
  • deegeyspazms
    deegeyspazms Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Is it meant to be good for you? I use ginger in tea as it's brilliant for the digestion and fighting colds etc...
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    1. Youtube
    2. Type 'Cinnamon Challenge'
    3. Click search
    4. Watch 100+ funny videos
    5. Burn calories laughing.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I find it weird that people track spices and herbs. I mean, seriously?

LOL I doubt anyone does - if so, they need their head examined.

I loooove cinnamon, not sure how much I use, probably 1-2 teaspoons
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have a teaspoon or two each day in my coffee. I am insulin resistant, and cinnamon is thought to be beneficial to those looking to control blood sugar. Of course there are studies that say it does, and studies that say it doesn't. I happen to like cinnamon, so it's a win/win situation for me either way. :drinker:
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It's good for you unless you have kidney stones - it contains a lot of oxalates which helps create more calcifications.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    There is a such a thing as too much cinnamon, because in high dosages it can be poisonous for your liver. See for instance:
    http://digitaljournal.com/article/323339

I've seen recommendations varying from .07 to .1 mg per kg bodyweight maximum per day as advice. All things are best in moderation, even cinnamon, it seems.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Only really possible to be that unhealthy when you include the calories from the roast chicken or curry it's inevitably cooked with at my house.