Will going over my sugar allowance prevent weight loss?

Options
Okay, so it's only ten to 11 and I'm -1 on my sugar allowance. I've had a large orange and a small costa cappucino w/ skimmed milk and NO sugar. Really?

Is this going to halt/severely slow down my weight loss?

Replies

• monicuza
    monicuza Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are many discussions on whether to count sugar from fruit. It's a personal decision. I guess.

Personally, I don't count it. I always manage to have my 5-a-day and sometimes most of it is fruit- which means i am always over my sugar allowance. But that is healthy sugar so I am not worried. And it hasn't stopped my weight loss.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No.

You don't need to worry about tracking sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Just watch your overall carbohydrate and calorie intake.
  • DrAliSharif
    DrAliSharif Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Okay, so it's only ten to 11 and I'm -1 on my sugar allowance. I've had a large orange and a small costa cappucino w/ skimmed milk and NO sugar. Really?

Is this going to halt/severely slow down my weight loss?

No don´t worry about it, rather stay on par with your calorie allowance and weight loss will occur. Fruit and their fructose is impacting our bodies in healthy ways as it is paired with fibers, as compared with energy-dense "junk foods" with HFCS added.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    no.

weight loss is all about calories in and calories out.

sugars are carbs. carbs have 4 calories per gram.

all that matters for weight loss/gain is your total number of calories for the day and whether it's above or below your TDEE. where those calories come from is irrelevant.
  • Katieloula
    Options
    Thanks everyone- great stuff. So glad I don't have to be scared of eating fruit just because of the sugar!

I am trying to keep my carbs low-medium and my protein high (mainly from egg, fish, chicken and mixed beans).
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    imo if you have high sugar in your diet you wont be likely to be burning your fat stores having sugar energy to burn off all the time, i work this in reverse to gain weight anyway having a fair bit of sugar,

idk what the exact science is behind this but that's my understanding of weight gain/loss

reason being fat is a slow burner and sugar is a quick burner so your body will naturally go for the sugar to burn and keep fat stored

but imo fruit sugar is good for you, people say it isn't but it's got to be better than processed sugar so if you want a sweet treat, fruit is a good option to have

but be all and end all is morderation
  • Katieloula
    Options
    imo if you have high sugar in your diet you wont be likely to be burning your fat stores having sugar energy to burn off all the time, i work this in reverse to gain weight anyway having a fair bit of sugar,

idk what the exact science is behind this but that's my understanding of weight gain/loss

reason being fat is a slow burner and sugar is a quick burner so your body will naturally go for the sugar to burn and keep fat stored

but imo fruit sugar is good for you, people say it isn't but it's got to be better than processed sugar so if you want a sweet treat, fruit is a good option to have

I only have around 2 pieces of fruit a day - the rest are veggies. Is this moderate enough? Thnx for your advice.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

If you are in a calorie deficit, it is irrelevant whether your body will get energy from carbs or fat. You will still lose weight on an all-sugar diet if you are in a calorie deficit. (Unless you are sugar sensitive like a diabetic...)
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

I only have around 2 pieces of fruit a day - the rest are veggies. Is this moderate enough? Thnx for your advice.

eat as much fruit as you want.

don't worry too much about the different types of carbs and which are converted more easily into energy and which aren't.

again, all that matters for weight loss is eating fewer calories than you burn each day. if you do that, you'll burn stored energy to make up that deficit. mostly it will come from fat reserves. to minimize any loss of muscle mass, there are extra steps you can take, but this is not relevant for you unless you are eating at a steep deficit from TDEE consistently.
  • jameswilson29
    Options
    I go over my sugar allowance every day (due to eating a banana, an apple, an orange, orange juice, and carrots) and I am still losing weight. There is certainly a difference between raw sugar and fructose in fiberous whole fruit, as far as your overall health is concerned. Don't take each daily allotment in the dietary recommendations too seriously.
  • Jenn_1990
    Jenn_1990 Posts: 14
    Options
    youre aloud 90g of sugar a day anyway and if its coming from fruit and vegetables i wouldnt worry so much. i always go over, sometimes due to fruit sometimes from yoghurts and dairy products. but as long as dont go near to the rda of 90g im okay :)
  • twelfty
    Options

sounds fine to me, definately nothing to worry about, keep up the good work
  • twelfty
    Options

If you are in a calorie deficit, it is irrelevant whether your body will get energy from carbs or fat. You will still lose weight on an all-sugar diet if you are in a calorie deficit. (Unless you are sugar sensitive like a diabetic...)

i'm not disagreeing with this, however, i wouldn't be keen to see the results of someone on an all sugar diet lol

the iifym approach has been proven to work on this site many times over and as i said, a balanced diet is the key and sometimes that is having sugar etc, but as a general rule for weight loss you're looking to go healthy as well as a calorie deficit, for example:

a person on an all sugar diet would likely be a diabetic by the end
    a person eating an all fat diet would probably have a heart attack
    a person eating all protein will likely have kidney failure