HRM Issues

Options
So I love working out with my HRM. It really motivates me and gives me an accurate number of calories burned... most of the time.

Recently i have started to experience a lot of problems using my HRM. It does not find my heartrate or loses it during workouts. Since I dont always monitor the HRM throughout the workout I dont see what it does but glancing on it I often find it on a Zero heartrate and this of course affects the overall calorie burn not knowing fr how long it has been that way...

Also, when I run it gives some funky numbers that can never be right. This morning I was running and at usually when I am panting away I usually have a heartrate of 170ish but today it showed me 41!!! WTH?

I know its about doing the workout and not so much about exactly how many calories you burn but I just love to see big numbers on the screen and get super frsutrated when I see zeros! Any advice?

Replies

• jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You may need a new battery in your heart rate sending unit (strap). Get out the instructions and replace. If it is a polar be careful to insert the ring seal.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    always the same question - how do you know the calories are accurate?
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    always the same question - how do you know the calories are accurate?

well I guess considering you input all kinds of information into the HRM it's as close a possible to tell you how much calories you burn. Definitely better than gym machines or fitbits... That's at least my opinion and that was not the question in the first place.

Thank you jadams1650 I have just recently changed them but maybe you are right. I will try that!
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues with my Polar ft4. Sending it back to be serviced. I hope it works. If it is a polar you can trouble shoot from their website with a livechat with one of their reps.
  • TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and Polar replaced the chest strap. OK after that.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and Polar replaced the chest strap. OK after that.

Same here. And I am more careful when I clean the chest strap now. Don't use any detergents with fabric softner or rinse in shower with bodywash that may compromise the contacts on the strap.
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my Polar too. As an experienced HRM user I knew to change the batteries, clean the strap, etc etc. I almost bought a new one but decided to contact Polar. They said it sounded like the mesh on my chest strap had worn down. I sent away for a $15 replacement strap and now my Polar is as good as new.