Always low on protein

Options
I have just been looking back through my food diaries and everyday I appear to be at least 50% down on protein. My calories are fine and everything else seems reasonably balanced except protein. Even yesterday I ate two protein bars and still only managed 118g with a daily requirement of 225g

Cheers
Chris

Replies

• raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    i always have that same problem.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i eat like 30g of protein and im not dead and easily building muscle. you probably dont need 200g!!
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt in my protein shake takes it from 30g of protein to 50g. Chicken on a salad usually adds about 20g and a protein bar another 20g. Turkey bites (like pepperoni but less fat) are 5g each, peanut butter on rice cakes, cheese strings, almonds.....keep some variety so you don't get bored!

Good luck.
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I drink a protien shake every day, boathouse farms protien drinks there soooo good and I do have protien powder but to be honest it taste like *kitten*! Every day I'm neither at my target or over on protien hope that helps
  • rainylewis
    Options
    Just add whey protein with 12oz of water twice a day to your diet. Get the the Whey that is only 120-130 cal but has 24 gram of protein in it.
  • projectbam
    Options
    I agree its tough to do considering Protein typically makes you feel full for a while ..
    How many meals are you fitting in throughout the day? .. you perhaps need to look at eating more frequently.

I eat 1 Whole Egg and 3 Egg Whites for Breakfast every morning.
    I have 2 Lunches, often i have a tin of tuna with salad AND then a couple of hours later either a chicken breast or a salmon filllet with rice.
    I then make ALOT of my choice of evening meal so that i can have 2 helpings of that a couple of hours apart. And again i usually get my protein from either chicken/ turkey/ salmon/ cod or red meat (with vegetables).
  • rainylewis
    Options
    Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein: Extream chocolate Flavor

Serving Size 1 scoop(s)
    Servings Per Container 71

Amount Per Serving % DV

Calories 130.00

Calories from Fat 15.00

Total Fat 1.50 g 2%

Saturated Fat 0.50 g 3%

Cholesterol 30.00 mg 10%

Total Carbohydrate 4.00 g 1%

Sugars 1.00 g

Protein 24.00 g 48%

Calcium 100.00 mg 10%

Sodium 100.00 mg 4%
  • Shanecarroll64
    Options
    You want at least your weight in protein a day. Safeway or any grocery store makes pre-made Turkey Breast Burgers that are low in fat and have a ton of protein.
  • SergeiKay
    SergeiKay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You want at least your weight in protein a day.

LOL, i hope you meant 1g of protein per 1lbs of your weight.

As for the thread, just look for more protein-dense foods to put in your diet. Like some said, you can supplement with whey protein, or you can go with whole foods, like cottage cheese, milk, eggs, red meat, white meat, fish, for example.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Plus it depends how far you want to go to get our levels up too - I suffered with this problem until a PT went through my diet, i'll be the first to admit it still isn't ideal but my daily intake of carb fat pro is now 60 60 220 grams ish. Some days higher protein and that's just on;

2 eggs in the morning - handful of nuts

150 gram cottage cheese mid morning

300 gram turkey breast lunch

150 gram cottage cheese mid afternoon

An evening meal consisting typically of fish or chicken with fresh veges or steak cut chips

2 scoops USN protein dessert

3 spoons of sugar in hot drinks a day

Cottage cheese is a great, cheap way to boost your protein. It costs me £2.34 a day ex my evening meal/protein dessert for turkey, eggs and cottage cheese.

I can safely say I am now building muscle eating like this where I spent months and would even go so far as to say years wasting my time because things weren't right diet wise for me and in particualr with protein. I have a mid week day where I will have a sandwich and crisps for lunch and one off day at the weekend where I eat pretty much what I like as well. Hope you find a balance :happy:
  • chrisoldroyd
    chrisoldroyd Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice, thank you all.