I feel a shin splint coming on.....

Options
For the past few days, my shin has been sore while I workout and for a couple of hours afterward. It feels like a shin splint, but I don't think it's fully progressed. I want to know what I can do to reverse it before it starts hurting so bad I can barely walk much less exercise. Any ideas? Shouldn't stretching help? How exactly would I go about stretching my shin though?

By the way, I do exercise on concrete floors and in completely flat converse shoes... That could be the problem, right? Lol. gotta fix that.

Replies

• jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are more about the motion of your feet when you're running than your shin at all. It has to do with how the tendons are being stretched and retracted. I would recommend taking a small break, taking a close look at your sneakers, and concentrating on the way you run. Sometimes when I hurt I look down and realize I'm caving in a bit while I'm walking or running. Make sure you're landing securely and not bowing in or out. If it gets worse, check with your doc. A little physical therapy and shoe inserts can solve a lifetime of problems.

Hope that helps!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    I must say that I can't recall ever having a shin split. I don't even know what that is. lol. I do know that I have overworked my shin muscle in the past...pretty recently actually. My best advice would be to lay off the intense exercise for a few days. At least until it heals up completely. I take it you've probably been doing a lot of running?
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I must say that I can't recall ever having a shin split. I don't even know what that is. lol. I do know that I have overworked my shin muscle in the past...pretty recently actually. My best advice would be to lay off the intense exercise for a few days. At least until it heals up completely. I take it you've probably been doing a lot of running?

Actually, I've been doing the 30-day-shred. (Day 20, whoo!) I must be jumping with all my weight on the balls of my feet.
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    Ohhhh okay. You better be super careful then!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    Like it was said bf its prob more about your feet. I have alot of problems bc my feet pronate(roll in) includin shin spints but with the right shoes my problems dissapear. w ur shoes there is NO arch support combined w the concrete floor not a good combo. if u can get to an actual running store have them fit u for a pair of shoes - even if u dont buy a pair. they watch how u walk and run and can tell u what would b best for u. after that if u cant get good shoes right now that can give u an idea of what supports or insoles would help. good luck cause havin shin splints sux!
  • EmmyRose
    EmmyRose Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

I've actually got shin splints. quite painful when exercising but I soldier on none the less!
    What I've been told, is that it happens because you have weak shins.. and you actually CAN stretch your shins! lol
    but it also happens because of the way you might walk/run etc

you can strech your shins by either standing on a stable chair or stairs and balacing off the edge by your tippy toes but not so much that you fall, obviously. the lower you push back on your heels over the edge, the more it will stretch :)

and also, get some better shoes!! lol you can't workout in converse! tsk tsk :)
  • Norbert2010
    Options
    Shin splints can be a direct result of your running/walking gait (over pronation rolling in etc) but in general it is caused by doing too much exercise too quickly and by not allowing the muscles around the shin to build up slowly. It is a very common condition in runners who are trying to do too much too soon.

Don't try and soldier through it, if it is shin splints it will not go away. First ensure you rest whilst using the RICE method, Rest-Ice- Compression-Elevation.

I have been running now for three years and have been down the running shop analysis etc where I was measured for over pronation shoes. Yes they do work initially but they are just teaching you to run incorrectly by correcting your running style. I have now moved to running in a minimal support shoe (not much more supportive than your converse) in which I will run long distances without issue.

Hope that helps.