favourite meat substitutes or meals you like without meat?

Options
As the title said- What's your favourite meat substitutes or meals you like without meat? I'm trying to cut meat out a bit but would eat ham and things in sandwiches and can't really think what to take for work

Replies

• Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Quorn ham is pretty nice. I don't rate their bacon at all though. And their chicken style pieces are lovely. Their sausages are the absolute best though, best fake saussies I've ever had, IMO.
    You can buy low low cheddar cheese, which has all the flavour of regular cheddar cheese, but like a third of the saturated fat. Or low fat cheese spreads, and you can bulk up with salad vegetables.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Instead of meat, fish, poultry etc., I eat beans (including hummus) or nut butters or sometimes a portobello mushroom.
    I also enjoy quinoa.
  • xx_donna_xx
    xx_donna_xx Posts: 144
    Options
    Quorn ham is pretty nice. I don't rate their bacon at all though. And their chicken style pieces are lovely. Their sausages are the absolute best though, best fake saussies I've ever had, IMO.
    You can buy low low cheddar cheese, which has all the flavour of regular cheddar cheese, but like a third of the saturated fat. Or low fat cheese spreads, and you can bulk up with salad vegetables.

Thanks, I'm going to try and go without using substitutes and see how I go, just trying to eat a bit less meat
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Vegetable burgers and tinned spaghetti!
  • xx_donna_xx
    Options
    Love both lol but I'm looking for a more natural diet
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I make a mash bowl with whole grain rice, roasted potatoes, roasted peppers, steamed veggies, and if you're still okay with cheese, a little bit of that as a sauce. (but seriously, just a little) ^_^
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I like lentil soup or curry (red lentils taste so much better). Quinoa or tempeh is a good option too. I'm not a fan of fake meat substitutes.
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    look for Indian food recipes, you will find plenty vegetarians with legumes and beans. If you like spices, then you will love Indian vegetarian food. I have been vegetarian all my life and have never missed meat...;)
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Avocado by themself or as a side, with some salsa
    Portabello Mushrooms
    Black bean burgers (homemade from skinnytaste.com)
    Eggs, I love eggs by themselves, hard boiled, over easy on top of a veggie burger! Yum.
    Quinoa Salad (plain quinoa mixed with any veggies/beans/etc. you want)
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Beans and tofu are pretty standard substitutes. I also like the texture of black eye peas for replacing meat in a traditional meal.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hi Donna.

I also like quorn there mince & fillets are good think spag bol,chilli,pies etc with the fillets stir frys etc. They also do burgers & sausages things like that. You can check out the website quorn.co.uk for recipes.
    In Australia(I'm not sure where you are) they have another brand called frys they do all the same stuff and is vegan.

Good luck :smile:
  • catcher_in_the_pie
    catcher_in_the_pie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have you tried frozen tofu? The texture changes after being frozen. Thaw, squeeze the water out, and then use it in your favorite sti-fry dish or try baked tofu.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of beans and lentils. I love curried lentils (or chickpeas and cauliflower), and black bean or lentil burgers. I tend to stay away from the meat "substitutes." Too processed for me. That said, I like the Morning Star Farms breakfast sausage better than real breakfast sausage.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Sorry just seen you wanted to stay away from fake meats.

Based your meals around vegetables,lentils & beans. Tofu is soooo good too.
    Taste.com has some good recipes.

Enjoy.
  • xx_donna_xx
    Options
    Wow,

Thanks so much everyone who replied, some great ideas there. I will look into the things further and hopefully I'll be a little healthier, lose and little weight and have a little extra money lol
  • floodedlungs
    Options
    I absolutely love veggie patty/bean burgers. So good.
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    Field roast vegan sausage. This is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.fieldroast.com/products/food-service/field-roast-sausages/

In my town, I find them at Whole Foods.

My husband will totally eat spaghetti and casseroles where I use this ingredient.
  • callmeboeve
    Options
    I'm a HUGE fan of falafel. It's chick pea/bean based but has a ton of flavor and is so much healthier for you. They make great frozen options that are all natrual and not full of junk, too. Just pop them in the oven for 15 minutes and you're good to go. You could also research recipes to make falafel on your own also. Add it in a wrap or pita pockets with hummus, romaine and a little feta cheese and it's a great and FILLING sandwich!

Check out 100 days of real food also. She has some great ideas for veggie pancakes.You can mix shaved potatoes, carrots and zuchini mixed with a little flour and eggs and cook those up too. She has great recipes with 5 ingredients or less.
  • teamianoshea
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for a year and a half before I couldn't afford it anymore, but here is what I enjoyed the most:
    Boca- mostly any of their 'chicken' products. The best in my opinion is the spicy 'chicken' patties.
    Quorn- As long as you cook the 'chicken' correctly they taste pretty good, but if you don't it tastes like cardboard.
    Publix brand I can't remember the name- They had these bbq 'ribs' that were really good. They also had some REALLY good buffalo 'chicken wings'.
    Morning Star- I only really liked the chicken nuggets.
    Amy's(I think)- Has this really good spinach and mushroom breakfast thing, it had tofu in it but it is amazing!

As you can probably tell I didn't put any of the imitation 'red meats' other than the bbq ribs. In my experience I have not like ANY of the veggie burgers or sausage patties.