Ladies how often do you lift?

Options
I recently started trying to get into the swing of things with adding in strength training to my workouts. I have been at least 6wks and things are tightening up a bit but I'm just curious how often you strength train and go up on weight? For example I started off at 5lbs on bicep curls doing 3 sets of 10. Now I can do 2 sets of 10 at 12lbs. I do that exercise once a week but it seems that I'm not moving up very fast so maybe I should do it that more than once a week? Yes 10lbs is heavy for me. I was going from lifting practically nothing. (Just wanted to get that in before someone says I should lift heavy.) My main goals are weightloss and keeping lean muscle. I'd like to get stronger but I am not sure if that is possible on a deficit since I'm not lifting that heavy and it's been awhile.

Replies

• Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    There are lots more people here more experienced with weight training than I, butI wanted to chime in here. I recently started a new weight lifting routine. I did Insanity for a while before so mainly was working with body weight. I have also used machines here and there in the past. My weights have increased BIG time, it is normal for newbs to make progress quickly. I set my weights at the place where Its a struggle to push out the last two reps in my set.
    starting leg presses were 120 I am now at 180 and expect to go to 200 this week
    Squats and deadlifts were just the bar because I was worried about form. I now do over 100 on each
    I do 50 lbs barbell curls. I only did 35 starting out.
    I only bench 55lbs... I think this may be a more slower process.

wanting to add I do plenty of upper body as well, pull ups, dips, bench press, I REALLY want to do overhead press as well, just havent taken that leap yet.

anyhow, if you can see my blog I do a 4 day split with swimming on Wednesdays. Mon/thurs are upper body days and tues/fri are my leg days (FAVORITE DAYS). I do three sets of 8-12 reps. If I can push out the 12 reps easily I up my weights.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    drop the bi curls, it's a completely pointless exercise for anyone to be doing when their goal is weightloss. Unless you're a bodybuilder. Just do chinups or rows instead.

Get rid of most, if not all isolation movements and instead focus on compounds.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of program you are on. Programs specifically designed for strength building (also ideal for burning calories and boosting metabolism) will typically have you moving up in weight weekly, and working out 3x a week. They also don't incorporate exercises like bicep curls. They revolve around mainly compound (multi-joint) exercises.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Right now I do 3x a week M, W & F. On T & Th I do cardio only and if I have time (and energy) sometimes I do cardio on the strength training days. I do 3 sets of 8 and work my way up to 3 sets of 12 and once I can do that I increase the weight I'm lifting and start back out at 3 sets of 8 and so-on.
  • Angelsrose12
    Angelsrose12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as queen here. I run MWF for C25K and do Chalean for strength on TThSa. On days I do Chalean, I try to do cardio too. I am trying to take a rest day on Sun, but I get addicted to the extra calories from working out.
  • MadisonLeo
    Options
    I recently started trying to get into the swing of things with adding in strength training to my workouts. I have been at least 6wks and things are tightening up a bit but I'm just curious how often you strength train and go up on weight? For example I started off at 5lbs on bicep curls doing 3 sets of 10. Now I can do 2 sets of 10 at 12lbs. I do that exercise once a week but it seems that I'm not moving up very fast so maybe I should do it that more than once a week? Yes 10lbs is heavy for me. I was going from lifting practically nothing. (Just wanted to get that in before someone says I should lift heavy.) My main goals are weightloss and keeping lean muscle. I'd like to get stronger but I am not sure if that is possible on a deficit since I'm not lifting that heavy and it's been awhile.

I actually think you are on the right track. Surprisingly, after starting to wear a HRM while I lift, I found that lifting actually burns as much if not more calories than cardio AND it tones as well.

I do legs once a week as far as weighted squats on a smith machine. I do the following:
    Classic Squats - 70lbs 10 sets of 5
    Lunge Squats - 20lbs 10 sets of 5 (each leg)
    Sumo Squats - 40lbs 10 sets of 5
    One Legged Squats - 30lbs 10 sets of 5 (each leg)
    Calf ups - 40lbs 10 sets of 10
    Deadlifts - 50lbs 20 sets of 5
    Then, if I still have it in me, I will do the leg curl machine at 50lbs (10 sets of 5)
    Then the leg press machine at 140lbs (10 sets of 5)

I do arms once a week as well. Those exercises vary but I kind of model it after leg day. Whatever I am doing, I do at least 10 sets of 10 at only 30lbs. I don't want my arms to get huge as I build muscle quickly.

I also do Cross Fit about 2-3 times per week and we use kettle bells which I LOVE! I am up to doing bicep curls, shoulder curls, triceps extensions, triceps curls and rows with 20lbs each hand. I am kind of smelling myself lol.

Didn't mean to get long winded but to answer your question, I use weights about 5 days per week focusing on different muscle groups every other day so they get to heal. Lifting is a great way to lose weight and tone at the same time. At least that is how it works for me.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would agree that it depends on the program you're using and your goals.
    I weight train 5 days a week and do cardio 4-5 x's a week.
    i would say if you're trying to increase your weight, once form has been perfected go up in weight with each set. you have to shock the body every now and then to get better results. continuing the same exercises day in a day out will keep you looking the same and you'll get bored and your body will look the same as well.
    Next time you curl try the 12lbs for 10 reps, then 15lbs for 8 reps, and 20lbs for 6. See if this helps. Also if you have a workout partner, use them to push you through the last 4-5 reps.

Good luck and happy lifting :wink:
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    3 x a week - Doing Stronglifts routine :)

Cardio twice a week.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I lift every other day, and most of my lifts are compound 5x5 sets. Deadlifts are 1x5.

I find that I get more out of heavier weights and lower reps. If you can do 3x10 with a weight, you can up it by 5 lb and try a 5x5 set-up.

I agree with what others said about isolation exercises--they are something you can work up to, but not a good place to start for a beginner. Compound lifts build functional strength.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Well I guess I Am clueless on that note and that's why I am not seeing much of anything happen.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I would agree that it depends on the program you're using and your goals.
    I weight train 5 days a week and do cardio 4-5 x's a week.
    i would say if you're trying to increase your weight, once form has been perfected go up in weight with each set. you have to shock the body every now and then to get better results. continuing the same exercises day in a day out will keep you looking the same and you'll get bored and your body will look the same as well.
    Next time you curl try the 12lbs for 10 reps, then 15lbs for 8 reps, and 20lbs for 6. See if this helps. Also if you have a workout partner, use them to push you through the last 4-5 reps.

Good luck and happy lifting :wink:

Program?
  • cc7315
    cc7315 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days a week, with HIIT training at the end. I'm currently doing 5x5 stronglifts.

Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a great place to start!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I´m very new to weight lifting (started last week) but are working out 3 times a week, 5 sets with 5 rep´s. I also do a little cardio those days. The other days I rest, except for walking my dogs. I start out very light, with just the barbell. (20 kg, 45 lbs.) I do bench press, squats, barbell rows, overhead press and deadlift. I now squat and barbell row 71.7 lbs on my fifth day. Yes, I think one time a week is too little. Give it a day or two more and experience the fun of increasing.

Doing StrongLifts 5x5 as well. Google it or search on youtube for Stronglifts workout A or B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2g3Sj3qSw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I'm doing All Pro's beginner routine 3 times a week. You go up in reps each week and after 5 weeks you up the weights and go back to the amount of reps you started with. Rinse, repeat.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

When they say heavy they don't mean you should up the weight necessarily, but rather perform different exercises. Heavy lifting is a workout format designed almost entirely around multi-joint exercises designed to strengthen the nervous system as well as the muscles.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

here's an example of a beginner routine focused on compound moves, full body, 3x wk with rest days in between, optional cardio 2 days a week, more if its light cardio
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    6 happy days a week!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Every other day, focusing on heavy compound lifts as stated above.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting and really have not found my love for it yet so when I do lift, I work out two different muscle groups at once. For example, I do squat and shoulder presses at the same time. Then I do lunge and bicep curls at the same time. I then work my triceps and I'll also do bench or push-ups. I only do this twice a week now, and I do cardio 3xs. I hope to learn to love lifting soon, as I know there are a lot of benefits to it! I just need to find the right program.