Anyone Trying to loose weight and can't workout?

Options
I am very bummed right now... I have been trying to loose weight since my daughter was born 2 1/2 years ago... I was 100 pounds before i had her and gained 100 during my pregnancy... i have been dieting and working-out ( nothing to extreme) and i cant get under 160. now i have been having some issues with my heart and my cardiologist told me i cant work out!!!! only walking! how am i supposed to drop this weight!!!???

Anyone else trying to loose weight and cant workout??

Replies

• deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a medical condition which means I can't work out (gutting, because I love exercise) and I'm having to do it all by watching my calorie intake.

It works, but it's slow.
    I was at least 14lbs lighter than this a couple of years ago when I was able to work out and I'm really struggling to get below my current weight now that I can't do any cardio or weights. I've found that low carb works best for me, now.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I lost 70+ pounds, and the only "working out" I did was walking. Walking IS working out.
    Kaye
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Walking is working out, btw. Take a slow 45 minute walk around the neighborhood - every little movement helps.

But anyway, if you can't "work out", you just need to be more diligent with your diet - measure everything, try reducing carbs a bit and drink boatloads of water. I lost the first 20 of my pounds without any exercise what so ever!
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. All you need is a calorie deficit. If you want to exercise, walking is a great. Figure out your BMR/TDEE -20% & eat between those. You'll probably find you are not eating enough. Good luck.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    Be active, don't workout in the sense of sweating it out! Walking is great. Seriously do stuff around the house, hoover, sweep, clean out the fish tank, dust, laundry, ironing, household chores do burn calories. I would personally stretch everyday for a few minutes to loosen your muscles because you don't want to be tense.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about this ):

Since you cannot increase the intensity, then you can only increase the length of your walking workouts!
    The easiest way is to make sure you get a morning/noon/evening walk, either with someone or with your ipod for music so it's more enjoyable, and also it is a great way to destress!
    Next, work on being more active throughout the day. If you take the bus, stop a few stops before and walk the rest. Fidget more. If you're seated for a long time, make sure to get up every hour at least, to stretch, take a short stroll. If you can, do a couple of situps/lunges/squats/pushups (if your medical condition allows for it). If you can, take the stairs in all cases. Try to incorporate more walking into your life. It helps!

Wishing you all the best <3
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a calorie deficit that isn't too great then you can loose weight, even if you are only walking. I have lost just with walking, that's pretty much how i started before i even started counting calories. Just add to your normal daily activities, park further away, get off the bus a stop early, when shopping walk down all of the isles, find any reason to get up and walk, it helps it really does.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight was accidental and completely because I had moved somewhere where I had to walk everywhere I went! I walked around an hour a day and lost probably around 40 pounds slowly over the course of a year. So slowly, that I didn't even notice until the end of the year. You can do it!
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    Walking can be a work out. Paired with calorie counting it is how I've lost those 19 lbs on my ticker over the last 10 weeks.

Now if walking becomes an issue, just keep calorie counting. Weight loss come from creating a calorie deficit.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I can workout, but too busy/lazy too. I lost 42lbs without working out and on 1600 calories. It can be done :)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    you don't need to exercise to lose weight :)

eat right, eat smart and walk since you can :)
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25 lbs by dieting alone. I spent my time trying to eat my way through skinnytaste.com I then added 20-25 minute walks going very slow 1.5-2 mph and dropped another 20lbs. It can be done but you have to cut out tasting stuff while cooking. And ANYTHING I put in my mouth, I logged.
  • hammys_wifey
    hammys_wifey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds last year all by walking, and monitoring what I eat. It is possible and can be done. I was 242 pounds last march, and I now weigh 162. : )