Jacket potatoes

Options
terricol
terricol Posts: 43 Member
When counting the calories is it better to do it cooked or raw please?

Replies

• Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    As far as weighing goes, I weigh all my meats and pastas BEFORE cooking. I've always read/heard that you weigh prior to cooking. I also measure my veggies and other ingredients pre-cooking, as veggies usually shrink, like meats.
  • terricol
    terricol Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    sorry forgot to put better to weigh raw or cooked. Thanks
  • sylv1979
    sylv1979 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh raw or before cooking since you can have things like pasta etc measured before hand without waste.

If weighing after cooked, you don't know the calories in it until you have already cooked it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh potatoes raw, but with baked potatoes, it's easy enough to do either. If I was weighing it already baked I'd go for the USDA reference in the database: "Potato - Baked, flesh and skin, without salt" (the one without an asterisk) and use the drop-down menu to get it by weight in g. For raw, the database entry I use is "Potato - Flesh and skin, raw" (again, without an asterisk). Then, just add whatever you have with the potato.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything raw with the exception of rice. I cook a bunch of brown rice, then freeze it in 1/2 cup serving sizes for ease in fixing a quick dinner.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Cooking a potato doesn't change it's nutritional value.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It changes its nutritional value per weight though.
  • Mokey41
    Options

It's only water evaporating off and if you choose the weight of a raw potato then there's no worry. Same with meat, weigh it raw to be accurate because cooking methods vary.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    ^ exactly. I think i'm correct in saying that raw potatoes are heavier because they contain more water.

I always weigh ingredients raw, although i'm not sure my measuring cups are US size, so I try to avoid anything measured in cups.

(I also don't find it an accurate measurement with things like vegetables, if they're chopped finely more will fit in a cup surely?!)
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options

It's only water evaporating off and if you choose the weight of a raw potato then there's no worry. Same with meat, weigh it raw to be accurate because cooking methods vary.

ok, i'm confused about this. wouldn't it be more accurate to weigh it after cooking *because* there's less water? because when you weigh it raw, there's no way to know how much of it is water. but once you cook the water out, wouldn't that give you a more accurate weight for the actual food itself?
  • Mokey41
    Options

ok, i'm confused about this. wouldn't it be more accurate to weigh it after cooking *because* there's less water? because when you weigh it raw, there's no way to know how much of it is water. but once you cook the water out, wouldn't that give you a more accurate weight for the actual food itself?

That's where you have to read. If it says one raw potato then that's how you measure it, if it says 1/4 cup dry rice, that's how you measure it. It depends on where you are getting your calorie info. Generally foods in the raw state are about the same across the board but your method of cooking can greatly vary the weight of food after cooking which would skew the information.

EG: If I take 50g dry weight of pasta and know the calories I have an accurate measurement. If I give you that 50 g and you cook it very el dente it won't absorb as much water as if I cook it to mush. So how do you account for how much water is in the final weight?
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    That's where you have to read. If it says one raw potato then that's how you measure it, if it says 1/4 cup dry rice, that's how you measure it. It depends on where you are getting your calorie info. Generally foods in the raw state are about the same across the board but your method of cooking can greatly vary the weight of food after cooking which would skew the information.

EG: If I take 50g dry weight of pasta and know the calories I have an accurate measurement. If I give you that 50 g and you cook it very el dente it won't absorb as much water as if I cook it to mush. So how do you account for how much water is in the final weight?

ok, so it's kind of just trusting MFP to give you a relatively accurate count for the raw meat because it has water; the cooked meat entries aren't as reliable because it's even more difficult to account for how much water might be left based on cooking time, heat, etc. thanks
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh potatoes raw, but with baked potatoes, it's easy enough to do either. If I was weighing it already baked I'd go for the USDA reference in the database: "Potato - Baked, flesh and skin, without salt" (the one without an asterisk) and use the drop-down menu to get it by weight in g. For raw, the database entry I use is "Potato - Flesh and skin, raw" (again, without an asterisk). Then, just add whatever you have with the potato.
    This :)