Milk question

Options
I don't drink milk & haven't since I was little. I only have milk in my cereal & oatmeal. I've tried almond milk and i think it's not good at all. I mostly drink 2%. Is 2% bad for you or what is the scoop on it!!!?? Thanks!

Replies

• buttercupke
    Options
    I want to know too because thats what I drink and use. I don't think its bad for you. It has to be better than whole milk right.
  • aubuysgirl
    aubuysgirl Posts: 23
    Options
    Two percent is very high in fat. I dont drink much milk either. I dont list the milk on my food diary for my cereal cause i just use it to wet the cereal and then i pour it out. I use skim milk for that. It may take some getting used to but once you do you will think the other milk is too rich. Good luck
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have skimmed milk and it only has 0.1% fat.

I used to drink semi-skimmed but can't stand it now!! Far too creamy.

Definately worth switching as it is the small things that make a big difference.

If I can do it, you can!!

Luv Kat
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is the best for you, you do absorb calcium from skim milk because it is fortified with vitamins A & D, as we should all know by now we need vitamin D to absorb calcium. . Skim has more protein than whole or any other milk. As well, it only contains 80 -90 calories and less than a half gram of fat per serving which is why it can be called fat free.

1% has about 110 calories is also fortified iwth A&D and contains about 2.5 grams of fat per serving, 1.5 of which are saturated fat.

2% contains 130 calories adn 5 grams fat per serving and 3 of those are saturated fat

Whole milk contains 150 calories and has 8 grams of fat and 5 of those are saturated fat.

ALL MILKS contain roughly 8 grams protein, 13 carbs, 125mg sodium, and the following percentages for vitamins, 10% vitamin A, 4% vitamin C, 25% vitamin D, 30% calcium. All of these numbers are based on a single 8oz serving.

So in other words drink what you like, eat what you like in your cereal but skim is the healthiest with no sat fat and once the creaming process begins they are get fortified with additional vitamins in order to help absorb the calcium. :drinker:
  • 2boysmoma
    2boysmoma Posts: 3
    Options
    I am not a milk drinker at all!! However, I love chocolate milk. It is high in fat, so I drink Over the Moon chocolate, it's fat free and high in protein. I also buy th 1% Wal Mart brand chocolate milk. Taste good and low in fat as well.
  • 123gonnareachit
    Options
    I drink 2% everyday. Mostly one-three glasses of it.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk & haven't since I was little. I only have milk in my cereal & oatmeal. I've tried almond milk and i think it's not good at all. I mostly drink 2%. Is 2% bad for you or what is the scoop on it!!!?? Thanks!

Don't know if United dairy is available where you are or not (I think that is a national brand anyway??), they have what is called "Ultra skim fat free milk"...it looks and tastes like 2% (really, skim milk is usually like water), but no fat and I think 80 cal per cup.....hope this helps!!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I can't drink milk on its own and the only time I have it is in tea and coffee. I use skimmed milk, only because it is so low in calories though.
  • itstime4achange
    Options
    I really can't stand milk at all. :sick: I drink Silk Light choclate milk - 8oz has 90 calories and 1.5g fat. :drinker:
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    2% and 1% is best, definately go organic if you can. Fat free or skim milk looses a ton of the nutrition that's in milk so even though it's lower in fat you're missing out of the whole point of drinking milk for the nutritional value. Same with Organic vs non there's about twice as many nutrients in 1% organic milk than there are in regular milks. :-)

check out the link below from the book "150 Healthiest Foods on Earth"
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74355--33-the-150-healthiest-foods-on-earth
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, see the excerpt below regarding skimmed milk:

Calories per pint: 195. Fat per pint: 0.5 grams.
    Skimmed milk contains 0.1 per cent fat and about half the calories of the full-fat version. However, even though fat is removed, it still retains most of its nutrients.
    In fact, skimmed cow's milk contains slightly more calcium than full-fat milk because calcium is found in the watery part, not the creamy part.
    For this reason, women who are post menopausal or who have a family history of osteoporosis should choose skimmed milk in preference to whole. It also contains more water- soluble B vitamins.
    But while skimmed milk is a perfect health drink for adults and is excellent as part of a fatcontrolled diet, it should not be given to children under five because of its low calorie, fat and vitamin content.
    It is also an excellent alternative to full-cream milk for those who suffer irritable bowel syndrome, since fat-rich foods are thought to aggravate the condition.

The calories in various pints are as follows

Whole fat cows milk - Calories per pint: 370. Fat per pint: 22 grams.

Semi skimmed - Calories per pint: 255. Fat per pint: 9.9 grams.

Skimmed - Calories per pint: 195. Fat per pint: 0.5 grams.

Skim milk has the same nutritional value as whole milk — with less fat. Since the fat portion of whole milk does not contain calcium, when you take out the fat, you do not lose calcium. When you drink an equal amount of skim milk and whole milk, the skim milk provides more calcium than the whole milk does. And some brands of skim milk supplement with extra nutrients as well.

Skim, 1%, or 2% milk is recommended for kids after 2 years of age. These often have added vitamin A and vitamin D, since these can be lost when the fat is removed.

Reviewed by: Larissa Hirsch, MD

So what should you do? According to the AAP recommendations, if your toddler isn't going to continue breastfeeding, you should switch her to whole milk once she is 12 months old. Next, switch to skim or low fat milk at age 2 years.

All of this sounds like skimmed milk is a good choice.

These are not my articles above, but from medical and pediatrics webpages.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    hmm interesting. I had read the information about 1% being better from a Jillian Michael's book. So I'm definately no expert.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    hmm interesting. I had read the information about 1% being better from a Jillian Michael's book. So I'm definately no expert.

First, it looks as though congrats are in order, hope you are having a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Jillian and her team of experts try, and 1% is not the worst you could do BUT all milk is fortified with vitamins A and D. If you read my previous post you will see that all milks have the same percentages of vitamins A, D, C but the big difference is the fat content. Milk starts out as heavy cream, the nutrients are in the fat, as the fat is removed the vitamins are removed so in an effor to help our bodies absorb the much needed calcium all milk is fortified with any missing nutrients.

The only people who SHOULD be drinking whole are kids up to the age of 2 , they need the fat for their brains. By afe 2 they should be weaned to 2% or even 1% and by grade school they should have skim, I gave my kids 2% until about kindergarten and then weaned down to one and then skim. It is a personal choice.

By the way, per serving 2% has the highest saturated fat out of all the milks. See my previous post for deetz on all the milks.
  • neglet
    neglet Posts: 20
    Options
    When I was growing up we always had 2% in the house, but when I was a teenager we switched to skim milk. The switch went easier because my mom would buy a gallon of each and we mixed the two, gradually increasing the proportion of skim to 2%. I've been drinking pure skim for 20 years now, and even 1% feels too fat to me. My dad, however, still uses 2% for his cereal, claiming nothing else feels right.
  • neglet
    neglet Posts: 20
    Options
    When I was growing up we always had 2% in the house, but when I was a teenager we switched to skim milk. The switch went easier because my mom would buy a gallon of each and we mixed the two, gradually increasing the proportion of skim to 2%. I've been drinking pure skim for 20 years now, and even 1% feels too fat to me. My dad, however, still uses 2% for his cereal, claiming nothing else feels right.