Bitter berries (possible fix?)

Options
I just bought alot of blackberries because, well, I ADORE them!! Yum! To my dismay, they are so very bitter and tart! :( Besides sprinkling sugar on them and/ or making them into syrup/ jams is there a way to make them sweeter? Will letting them sit make them sweeter? Or is it hopeless?

Thanks!

Replies

• immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Actually yeah, just leave them out on the counter (uncovered) for a day or two and they should ripen up a bit. If they're not, put them in a brown paper bag with a small apple or banana and leave for another day. Just keep an eye on them because they go from sweet to mush pretty quick!
  • cehrenhaus
    cehrenhaus Posts: 42
    Options
    When I get bitter berries I bake them in muffins of make them in pancakes. Here there is a recipe for oatmeal muffins, they are very healthy http://faerywitch.wordpress.com/2010/05/30/recipes-oatmeal-muffins/
  • ronic68
    ronic68 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always sprinkle a little Splenda on fresh berries and it helps bring out their natural sweetness without adding extra calories. Hope that helps! :smile:
  • neglet
    neglet Posts: 20
    Options
    I love blueberries, but sometimes I get a batch that is bitter or has a mushy texture. Then I turn them into pancake topping:

1 cup berries
    1 T. all-fruit jam (40 cal)

Microwave 20-30 seconds at a time until you have a syrupy texture.

I make all sorts of variations: fresh apples and raspberries with raspberry jam; peaches with apricot or raspberry jam (and a hint of cinnamon); pears with raspberry jam; blueberries with blueberry jam. The all-fruit gives it just a little extra sweetness, and with buckwheat or honey oat pancakes it makes for a really filling breakfast for about 300-350 calories.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If they don't ripen up and get sweeter you can always make them into a smoothie with greek yogurt, ice, and honey!