Food Diary

Options
Hi all!

I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

I've been on MFP for almost a week now and I was hoping someone wouldn't mind checking out my food diary this past week and tell me how it could be improved (please ignore the weekend as I totally went for the junk food-- no discipline with hubby around).

I would like to lose a total of 10 lbs, 4 lost already. I put in my goals and MFP calculated me at a 1200 calorie daily intake. I have to be honest and say that I am very sedentary between having a desk job and some health issues that just leave me tired, although I am TRYING to improve that!

Past history: Was always on the opposite end of the spectrum; very petite and had a high metabolism. I could pretty much eat anything I wanted. I then had a health problem and was put on medication. With the medication I gained 20 lbs. and my energy plummeted. Again, I do get tired easily, but I am willing to try and do more energy wise. I have actually been laying off exercise this past week only because with the restricted diet I've been a bit light-headed (side effect of my meds) and I'm trying to let my body adjust to the lower caloric intake.

I just wanted to spell that all out for you when you are reviewing my diary, because I do know I need more exercise, which will allow me to eat more calories. I was just hoping you could tell me how my balance of foods is looking. I'm trying really hard to eat healthier (aside from the weekend, lol) and become a better me.

Thanks all! :)

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If your lightheaded then your body is trying to tell you that you need to eat more regardless of exercise. If I don't eat in the morning with my vitamins I get lightheaded.

MFP put almost everyone at 1200 and then expects you to exercise and eat those calories as well. If your not exercising you need to eat more.

I have an open diary and I eat very healthy. Feel free to look for idea.

ETA; Soda.. empty calories.. does nothing for you except helps you keep the weight on.. Skipping meals isn't good either, unless you are truly not hungry rather then just trying to convince yourself your not hungry.

I started losing weight again when I started eating over 1200 calories. i'm not sure how many you should be eating, but 1200 is rarely ever enough.
  • busylittleb
    busylittleb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I talked to my trainer...1200 calories is not enough for anyone to eat (and I'm petite and 1200 calories wasn't enough--I need to eat). When the body thinks it's starving itself, then it will do its best to hang on to what you've currently got. I went to another website for a calorie calculator http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_guide.htm It gives you a variety of calorie intakes to choose from (e.g. if you exercise, you don't exercise, if you want to maintain, etc.).

I used to go to Weight Watchers meetings and they would tell us the same thing. If we're hitting a plateau or not losing weight and you were doing everything "right" (eating & exercising), then they'd suggest to increase food intake.

That's my two cents! Hope it's helpful!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Agree that 1200 probably isn't enough for you, especially if it leaves you feeling lightheaded--and especially since most days you aren't even eating that much. Plus, you virtually never hit your fat goal--fat is an essential nutrient and vital to the absorption of many vitamins, so don't be afraid of it! It will not make you gain fat as long as you're still in a deficit.

Check this out to get a better idea of what your daily goals might be: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It looks to me like you are not eating enough calories. My advice would be to up your calories each day. I think that if you keep on this path, when you start eating more, the weight will pile on; but if you eat more calories each day within your restrictions, you should be able to lose weight.

PS I too, have a medical condition (Crohn's disease), that I need to take medication for at times that makes me gain lots of water weight, and I too am on a restricted food diet. I am trying to eat 1500 calories a day, but it is a struggle because I need to gain weight, not lose it. I am supposed to eat 2000 calories a day, but the low residue diet restricts me too much.

If you need a friend, I am here.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I would first say to increase your calories, yes I know it's scary!! I would also look at increasing your protein and lowering your carbs and sugar. I noticed sodas which are a total WASTE and will make you feel tired. Try to eat more "clean" and I think that will naturally lower your carbs and sugars for you. Good luck!
  • ladyillusionist
    ladyillusionist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would just like to thank everyone for your responses! Your feedback is truly appreciated and valued.

I have some additional questions I would like to ask if you don’t mind. :D Also, I wanted to clarify that getting light-headed is a side effect of the medication I take. Any slight change to my body, i.e. getting sick, can cause this. I have to be extremely careful with my body in regards to food, sleep, stress, etc. Any time there is a change, I can feel the side effects.

1) I am really interested in what “clean” eating is? I’ve been trying to make healthier food choices by getting rid of the junk/fast food. I know I still have to clean-up my cravings for ice-cream, mochas, and my beloved Dr. Pepper. (Dr. Pepper will be my hardest, but I have gotten down to only 2 a week and they are the small 7.5 oz cans. Eventually I hope to wean off it completely!)

2) I try to never skip meals. I can’t do that regardless! I have to eat every 4-4.5 hours at max.

3) We all agree I need to eat more calories. I was coming to that conclusion also. Being new to MFP, I just assumed I needed to go by their goal set they gave me in order to lose.

4) I agree, I need to exercise more, which will also allow me to easily eat more calories. I use to be extremely active and loved it. Now I find it difficult because I am always so tired and my energy level is low due to the medication. With that said, I have been working on it, up until this week when I stopped because of becoming light-headed. With the weather becoming nice I have plans to purchase a bike to enjoy some outside biking.

5) I have never tried to preclude fat from my diet/diary, it just happens. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get more fat into my diet, aside from eating junk food? (You’d be my hero if you told me I could go back to enjoying my Starbuck’s mocha, but somehow I doubt that will happen!) I did notice that I was falling short of it each day in my diary. While the opposite is true of my sugar intake, it always seems to be over even when I try to avoid it.

6) Macelmer, thank you for your kind offer of friendship. I know you must be going through a struggle as well. Medical conditions can make it difficult to balance a healthy lifestyle. I am always here for you as well! Although my daughter does not have a medical condition she very much struggles with her weight and trying to gain. She is 19, 5’ 3.5” and weighs 88 lbs. She has the very high metabolism that I USED to have (as did my mother & grandmother). She cannot seem to gain weight, although with the help of her doctor (and her boyfriend who is always bringing her food throughout the day) she is now maintaining her weight. She has found that besides her regular meals it has really helped to have an additional milkshake, smoothie, and protein shake each day.

7) I’m having a hard time balancing my carbs. I plan what I think is a healthy meal only to find my carbs are always too high and my protein goal is not met. I will try and increase my protein. Aside from animal protein, is there another way to incorporate it into your diet? Don’t get me wrong, I love any form of meat, but I do also need to watch my cholesterol. When it comes to carbs, while planning a meal it never seems like I’m eating what I would think of as carbs. I think I have a lot to learn about nutrition.

Again, I just want to thank all of you for taking the time to read my diary and for your valuable advice! I will try and make some adjustments. I must admit, this is a lot tougher trying to plan out a healthy meal than I anticipated. I’m sure as I go along and learn it will become easier. If anyone has any actual food suggestion to better my diary I'd love to hear them.

Well, I think I’ve shown everyone by now just how ignorant I am when it comes to health & nutrition. I hope to get to know you all as I take this journey into becoming a healthier me. Thank you lovelies! :D
  • HawkeyeLite
    Options
    Great job on the soda! I know how hard that can be to get rid of - but really you are doing your body, mind, teeth ETC a favor!

I wanted to help (or at least throw out what's worked for me!) with Question 7. I am vegetarian and I was having a hard time ever meeting my protein goal. Now I ALWAYS make it, and it also makes me feel fuller and have more energy.

-I bought Special K Protein Plus Cereal - I think it has something like half your recommended protein for the day
    -I drink Silk Original Light Soy Milk - lots of protein and more calcium than regular milk
    -I add extra protein to my salads - like chickpeas (yum!)
    -I started making green smoothies, which are chock full of protein too. My smoothie has a half cup of ice, cup of soy milk, half cup of vanilla yogurt, 1 small frozen banana, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 tbsp hershey unsweetened cocoa powder, 1.5 - 2 cups of spinach. You could even buy protein powder to throw in there too, but I find with a whole day of making good protein choices, I don't need the powder.

Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Other than what the others have said, I'd like to add changing your deficit to 1/2 pound per week loss if it's not that already. When you're down to last few pounds, they don't want to come off very quickly.
  • Just thought I'd suggest peanut butter or any other kind of nut butter! healthy fats, high in protein, low in carb. Can be a bit high in calories (around 120cals per TBSP) but delicious and healthy!!!
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I see you go to Costco..They have a good Greek yogurt, Plain Non fat. Get it and the frozen organic blueberries. Mix 1 cup yogurt 1/4 of the container & 50 Blueberries for breakfast too. You can put a teaspoon of molasses on the yogurt n mix it up for more sweetness if it's too tart for you or you need a "treat". Makes a good snack too. Also lose the sugary stuff (Dr Pepper, Ice Cream). 12 0z Soda is a complete waste of 150 calories. Better to eat a whole Texas grapefruit or 12 strawberries, etc. If you want to add fat eat Avocados, nuts, use Olive oil, eat fish, sardines, (Salmon or Mahi Mahi burgers are available at Costco) :bigsmile: Buy Stevia and use it to sweeten things as you cut down on your sweets. I'm in Texas too and haven't had a Dr Pepper in ages, so I now how that is. :tongue: As to your Starbuck’s mocha I don't know, look it up on MFP and see if you can fit it into your calories for the day / week. Remember Total Deprivation = Total Failure. Besides it's no fun. You are not on "a diet" you are changing your "diet" :bigsmile: Good Luck
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    1) I am really interested in what “clean” eating is? I’ve been trying to make healthier food choices by getting rid of the junk/fast food. I know I still have to clean-up my cravings for ice-cream, mochas, and my beloved Dr. Pepper. (Dr. Pepper will be my hardest, but I have gotten down to only 2 a week and they are the small 7.5 oz cans. Eventually I hope to wean off it completely!)
    Clean eating is eating fresh whole raw foods derived from nature. Rather the processed chemical/additive/sugar laden food that are easy and quick to pop in the microwave. It's choose plain greek yogurt and flavoring it yourself with fruit rather then getting the full of additives already flavored kind. It's choosing lean cuts of grass-fed/free range/cage-free (ideally) meat and organic (ideally) veggies and making your own chicken marsala instead of getting stouffers heat and eat version. You have to cook to really make it work. My opinion is also to eat organic, but no everyone thinks that way.

I started out eating 800 calories and have gotten it up there pretty good and I eat clean. Feel free to nose around my diary.

5) I have never tried to preclude fat from my diet/diary, it just happens. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get more fat into my diet, aside from eating junk food? (You’d be my hero if you told me I could go back to enjoying my Starbuck’s mocha, but somehow I doubt that will happen!) I did notice that I was falling short of it each day in my diary. While the opposite is true of my sugar intake, it always seems to be over even when I try to avoid it.

7) I’m having a hard time balancing my carbs. I plan what I think is a healthy meal only to find my carbs are always too high and my protein goal is not met. I will try and increase my protein. Aside from animal protein, is there another way to incorporate it into your diet? Don’t get me wrong, I love any form of meat, but I do also need to watch my cholesterol. When it comes to carbs, while planning a meal it never seems like I’m eating what I would think of as carbs. I think I have a lot to learn about nutrition.

healthy fat: avocados, nuts, natural peanut butter (nothing added just peanuts), dark chocolate. I do pretty good with fats. Can't help you with low carb. I eat a ton of fruits and veggies, which means high sugar high carbs. All healthy and natural so i think its' a good thing. :~) Incresing your protein will give you more energy. I am working on this too. I want to get rid of the protein powder from my diet, but I'm just not a meat/dairy lover.. so it's tough to get it all without it.
    Again, I just want to thank all of you for taking the time to read my diary and for your valuable advice! I will try and make some adjustments. I must admit, this is a lot tougher trying to plan out a healthy meal than I anticipated. I’m sure as I go along and learn it will become easier. If anyone has any actual food suggestion to better my diary I'd love to hear them.

Well, I think I’ve shown everyone by now just how ignorant I am when it comes to health & nutrition. I hope to get to know you all as I take this journey into becoming a healthier me. Thank you lovelies! :D
    We all started out "ignorant". Learn by doing and asking quesitons.

Food suggestions:
    I've got tons..
    www.fitnesspal.com/blogs/confuzzled4ever
    lots of healthy recipes!
    My diary has more
    Dont' be afriad to get that weird veggie you never heard of.. i've tried all kinds of things i never heard of and love it all!

Google is your friend!!
    So is
    skinnytaste.com !!! lol!

The best advice I can give you is this:
    baby steps.. pick one thing at a time to fix in your diet. This week elimate soda, next week increase calories, next week increase protein, then week decrease carbs, then add exercise.. (just examples) otherwise you'll just stress yourself out and make it impossible to reach any goals.

my mantra:
    Nothing worth it is ever easy.. ;~)
  • ladyillusionist
    Options
    You guys are AWESOME! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and giving me feedback. It will definitely help me as I find my way through this process! :)
  • ladyillusionist
    Options
    D3A265DA-A290-479A-9070-8FD55751E429-1093-000005A8596BF8DC.jpg

Here was tonight's dinner. We had pork chops with a honey glaze made from organic honey & water, russet potatoes with olive oil, basil, cinnamon and pepper, fresh zuchinni, and strawberries. I was absolutely stuffed, but it tasted great.

Feel free to critique, or offer up better alternative meal suggestions.

Thank you!!

P.S. with today's meal plan I didn't get hungry once!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    That looks yummy!

I'd have eaten more veggies lol, but i'm nutty. lol

I wish I could post pictures.. I can't make it work.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd suggest peanut butter or any other kind of nut butter! healthy fats, high in protein, low in carb. Can be a bit high in calories (around 120cals per TBSP) but delicious and healthy!!!

Agree - peanut butter and nuts is awesome and kind of a treat. I also have been buying reduced fat yogurt versus fat free kind.
  • CarribeanBlueGirl
    CarribeanBlueGirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would eat more like what Dr. Joel Fuhrman calls a "Nutritarian" load up on phytonutritents - more veggies and fruit. Like, have a salad with fat free dressing before dinner. Fruit for dessert. I'm not a big fruit eater, but I found that adding it to my salad with Maple Grove fat free Balsamic dressing is really good! I chose Maple Grove because it's all natural - no weird aftertaste from being fat free.
  • ladyillusionist
    Options
    Thanks all! Normally I would have eaten more veggie! (I love my veggies & fruit) Most of the time I will eat a whole zucchini by myself, but I was down to the last one and had to share with hubby. I'll have to pick some more up today at the store. Come summertime there will be lots of fresh veggies to eat! My dad has a ranch and does a huge organic garden each year and it is always too much for him and my mom so I get the extras! :)

Although, I have to say this was the first time I was unable to finish an entire meal since being on the diet because I was just way too full. I could only end up eating about 1/2 my strawberries.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Balsamic dressing Carribean Blue! A pre-dinner salad sounds like a great idea.

I'm working on adding more fat to my diet, so the peanut butter & nut suggestion is a good one.

Confuzzled4ever: It took me a couple of tries to get it to work also. I hosted my picture at Photobucket.com and then copied the [IMG} link over to MFP. HOWEVER, in order to get the picture to work you have to convert the IMG to lowercase: .  Also, make sure you don't have any spaces in the original link over on photobucket, because apparently it doesn't process right here on MFP and adds "%" to where the spaces are, which creates an entirely different link.  Let me know if that doesn't make since and I'll try and clarify it better.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    given i don't know what your stats are as far as height, weight, age etc... 1200 seems like it would be a large deficit for someone that has a very small amount of weight to lose. you may want to check out the roadmap so you can get more accurate numbers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

be honest with your activity, if you don't work out, put lightly active rather than sedentary. sedentary means you really just lay around in bed or on the couch allll day.

editted to add: try to go for full fat dairy instead of fat free or nonfat... more sugar is added to those to make the flavor better. fat is not your enemy.
  • emilyds
    emilyds Posts: 88
    Options
    Hi!

I haven't looked at your diary yet, but I thought I would share my experience, as I was also only trying to lose 10-15lbs and have a sedentary desk job too.

Originally, MFP had me on 1200 calories a day and I really wasn't losing any weight. I changed my goals a little bit, to only losing a 1/2 lb each week, and my daily calories went up to about 1400. Since doing that, I have lost 12 lbs. Even though my goal is 1400/day, I still sometimes come in under that number.

I think the important thing here is to know what is right for you. If 1200/day doesn't feel right, then change your goals a little bit until you find a good balance.

Good luck!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you're going to go that low calorie wise, you need to make up for it with fat. Honestly, I am not surprised you're light headed because you're lacking in both fat and calories.

I get away with eat low cal because I eat like 80 some odd grams of fat a day (most of the time.)

Should you decide to stay low cal, I would suggest you check out / have a look at keto and other various LC diets.