Brown rice recipe

Options
2»

Replies

• saraswatimayi
    saraswatimayi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Brown rice takes longer to cook than other types but has a delicious flavor..

The ratio is 2 to 1 water to rice.

For example > 1 cup water to 1/ 2 cup brown rice. Bring water to boil, add a dash of salt, add washed rice and boil - covered. Cook for 1 hour. (Very important not to check until the time is up, repeated lifting of the lid lets out a lot of steam/water needed for cooking.

For added flavor and the rice cooks a bit better, I think>

Heat a cast iron (or other ) pan, and toast the rice, that is brown it. Keep moving the rice around in the pan over a medium to high heat until the rice looks and smells toasted. You can toast it dry or with a little olive oil. Either way, the extra toasting of the rice gives it a really nice nutty flavor and, as I said...ths preroasting gets the cooking started and helps ensure the rice is fully cooked

This recipe is from my memory of the Tassajara Zen Macrobiotic Cookbook.
    Bon Appetite!
  • Christiethorn1
    Christiethorn1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love rice but simply CAN NOT eat it plain!! I really like to sauté onion, peppers and chicken and have it over brown rice, sometimes I add a little shredded cheddar, very tasty. I know it is high in sodium, but once in awhile if I am low on time, I will put Chunky's Veg. Beef soup over it like a gravy. And another good standby for me, is to cook it in my homemade spaghetti sauce.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I love love love curried shrimp & onions over rice.
    1. Cook rice. I like to do the quick boil method with whole grain brown rice. I fill the pot with water and put in a cup of rice. Boil for 30 minutes and drain the rice like you do pasta.
    2. Sautee up some onion in a bit of olive oil and yellow curry powder. Toss in shrimp in the last final minutes and cook until pink.
    3. Mix onions/curry/shrimp into rice.
    4. Add 1/4 cup of milk and stir.

Optional: Serve with pineapple, coconut, and peanuts. YUM!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I stuff portabello mushrooms,aubergines,or tomatoes wiith cooked brown rice, herbs, and some parmesan or gruyere mixed with some breadcrumbs as a topping. This is usually a main low calorie dish but goes well with meat or fish.
    What the heck is Aubergine?
  • chrst793
    chrst793 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I stuff portabello mushrooms,aubergines,or tomatoes wiith cooked brown rice, herbs, and some parmesan or gruyere mixed with some breadcrumbs as a topping. This is usually a main low calorie dish but goes well with meat or fish.
    What the heck is Aubergine?

aubergine is british for eggplant
  • julieanne0924
    julieanne0924 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump
  • k7k6c7
    k7k6c7 Posts: 1
    Options
    This is a mixture I make sometimes:
    Cook rice in rice cooker (sometime white, brown, or quinoa depending what I have on hand and my mood).
    1/2-1 lb fried lean hamburg
    1 kg frozen mixed peas and carrots
    4-6 scrambled eggs (depending on how many I've got)
    1 can sliced waterchestnuts
    1 onion (I usually use a green onion or cooking onion again whatever is on hand)
    1 or 2 stalks of celery sliced
    Low sodium soy sauce
    Sweet'n Sour Sauce (optional)

While the rice is cooking I fry up the hamburg. Depending on the size of frying pan I'm using I will either put the hamburg in a big bowl. In the same frying pan I'll scramble the eggs. Just before they are totally done I'll also throw in the onion (if I haven't already cooked it with the hamburg), waterchestnuts, the entire bag of mixed peas and carrots and celery. Add a little soy sauce and heat until the peas, carrots and celery are cooked.

Dump everything together (rice, hamburg, and contents of the frying pan) into a big bowl. This makes quite a few servings. I take a small container of it for lunch through the week. I've got no idea on the calorie count but what the heck I've got protein, vegetables, and carbs all in one dish for one meal. Sometimes I'll add a bit of Sweet'n Sour Sauce. You can vary the amount of each ingredient.