Tinned tuna ideas?

Options
Hey,

I know it's not the healthiest but its affordable and has a lot of protein so please tell me your fav tinned tuna recepies

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I like to mash it up with some avocado and eat it on bread, like a tuna sandwich, without the mayo.

Or eat it plain, or with crackers.
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I'm pressed for time but don't wan to eat out, I grab a few random things from my fridge and mix them together. The other day, I made some orzo pasta, steamed frozen snap peas, chopped lettuce, and added tuna. Mixed it up on a plate - sort of like a quick pasta salad. Healthy, fililng, and super quick.

I also warm it up on a pan (no added oils or sprays) and add red pepper flakes or whatever veggies I have in the fridge. Also good on salads or on a pita.

I haven't made any warm meals with tuna though. Just salads, mostly. I prefer Starkist chunk light tuna in water. Filled with protein and so lean.

Curious what others do :)
  • xx_donna_xx
    xx_donna_xx Posts: 144
    Options
    I like to mash it up with some avocado and eat it on bread, like a tuna sandwich, without the mayo.

Oh that sounds nice with the avocado, do you not think its v dry plain? I'm trying it with salsa today but its not great
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My fave is a mixed in a salad. ANYTHING you like can be in there, but today I had a mizuna (Japanese lettuce) + cherry tomato + tinned tuna + mustard seed salad! Add a boiled egg too for that extra protein hit.

I also on occasion make these patty things that are really yum! Simply mash the tinned tuna in with a bunch of different beans such as lima beans and chic peas (of course cook the beans if they're dry, or strain and rinse well if tinned) and you can also mash with some potato (again, cooked) if you want more carbs. Add salt and pepper, an egg to help it stay together, and make little patties out of them! You cover them in panko-bread crumbs or any crumbs you like and then either bake or fry in a pan with the slightest bit of oil. This is a rough explanation as I am not one to cook to detailed recipes unless baking, sorry! Just go with the flow.

Mixed in with pasta (preferably GF and less processed) as well as maybe some sun-dried tomatoes and stuff is always the best.

Hope this gives you a bit of food for thought. Just find what fresh ingredients you like and make it into something! That's how I cook these days usually haha...
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

Oh that sounds nice with the avocado, do you not think its v dry plain? I'm trying it with salsa today but its not great
    It is dry plain, but I was trying a new diet a few months ago that called to eat dry tuna so I got used to the taste after a while. I've never tried it with salsa, but I don't think I'd like it.

I've also tried it with mustard, which isn't too bad. Or throw some on top of a salad.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Bumpinggg
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've used it to make tuna cakes before. Like a crab cake, but with tuna instead. I can't think of the recipe off the top of my head, but I'd imagine you could add anything you like, mix in a beaten egg so it all sticks together, then cook it in a non-stick skillet until it's brown on both sides.
  • alwayssmitty
    alwayssmitty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I mix it with egg, parm, breadcrumbs, onion. Patty it and fry it in a skillet w/olive oil. I made it for the first time yesterday and LOVED it. I had one w/ a side salad. Froze the rest for later.

Link to recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Tuna-Patties/Detail.aspx
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like it plain but I usually get the flavored tuna (sweet & spicy is my favorite!!)
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I mix it with egg, parm, breadcrumbs, onion. Patty it and fry it in a skillet w/olive oil. I made it for the first time yesterday and LOVED it. I had one w/ a side salad. Froze the rest for later.

Link to recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Tuna-Patties/Detail.aspx

thanks for posting the link. Added this to my Pinterest board with some adjustments for celiac diet. Looks yummy.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    After you've boiled and drained a portion of pasta - rigatoni or penne work nicely -- mix in tuna, capers, a little oregano, and pepper. Hot chili pepper (optional). Spinkle a tablespoon of parmiggiano and your good to go. You can use water packed tuna if you want less calories, but make sure to mix everthing together in a pot over a low flame so the ingredients blend nicely.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Last night I made tuna cakes by throwing some stuff in a bowl that sounded good and then pattying it up.
    I used:
    4 cans tuna
    one beaten egg
    'bout a handful of italian bread crumbs
    a healthy squirt of dijon
    couple splashes of worchestershire
    salt and pepper
    bit o parmesean

This is how I cook; dump and pour until it seems right. :) They turned out pretty good. I ate them on a bed of greens with a vinegarette. Delish.
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    I like to make a salad with it. Tuna, cannellini beans, chopped fresh vegetables (tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, scallions, etc) some fresh parsley or oregano and just enough vinaigrette to moisten it. Delish!
  • HannahsHealthKick
    Options
    Tuna Crunch is my favourite. One of the healthy options my mum pushed my way.

Tuna & Light Mayo, Chopped Peppers, Red Onions, Cucumber, Celery, Apple and maybe some sultana's (if i'm feeling fruity ;D ).

In a wrap, in a sandwhich, as a seperate salad. I enjoy it all. :) Crunchy, filling and OHSOGOOD.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Mix it into some quinoa and top with a poached egg. Delicious. Mash it up and eat on whole grain crackers too...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I know it's not the healthiest but its affordable and has a lot of protein so please tell me your fav tinned tuna recepies

What makes you say it isn't healthy...tuna is very healthy, even in a can. The can doesn't change the fact that it's tuna...

Anyway, here's my favorite:

Pearled Farro and Tuna Salad (serves 4 of roughly 1 cup per serving)...this is my own concoction inspired by an Ina Garten recipe for Israeli Couscous and Tuna.

- 3/4 cup dry pearled Farro cooked in 2 1/4 cup water
    - 1 can solid white albacore tuna in water
    - 15 kalamata olives (3 servings)
    - 1/2 tbsp non-pareilles capers
    - 3 oz roasted red bell pepper
    - 1 clove garlic minced
    - 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    - Juice of 1 lemmon

Cook the farro and then just mix everything together well. Farro is an ancient grain similar in texture to barley...it is nuttier in flavor and is a good source of protein, much like quinoa.

Per Serving:

Calories - 317
    Carbs - 31
    Protein - 17
    Fat - 16

I usually serve this over a bed of mixed greens or spinach with a handful of cherry tomatoes and raw radish...sometimes I put a little fetta on top as well, but that depends on where I am in my macro goals.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    can tuna mixed with 1 or 2 tbsp of dijon mustard, stuff in a a red pepper and bake , delicious!!! and only 188 calories!!

and canned tuna is VERY healthy!!! I eat is almost everyday!!!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    back in the day I used to mix it with macaroni and cheese or ramen noodles.
    Now I eat it plain or with a wrap or make a salad
    I like the flavored tuna, bumblebee makes a tomato and basil one that is just yum!!
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Tuna
    Oil Olive (optional)
    Mustard
    Spices
    Pepper
    Vegetables such as peppers or celery
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I add black beans, onion, mustard, and cumin. YUM!