rest days

When should I take a rest day ? I work out for about 30-40 minutes each day but I'm unsure when I should take a rest day
When do you take your rest days?

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    I generally rest on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. I'm also not going for weight loss but just overall being more active. I usually go out on Saturdays and walk around for 2-3 hours shopping and going to festivals and other things so I guess that could technically be counted as a light cardio day since I also have to fight the crowds.

I would say, rest when your body needs the rest. I find that the Wednesday rest day isn't really necessary for me but I like to go outside and take a walk in the park instead of being stuck inside a gym. (I can only work out on my lunch break)
  • bmc726
    bmc726 Posts: 8
    If you are just doing cardio 30-40 minutes a day, I would not take a rest day. If you are strength training I would work out a group of muscles one day and the next I would focus on a different set of muscles.
  • tomato915
    tomato915 Posts: 40
    I rest from the gym every other day coz I do a bit of weights there. So during my rest day, I run. :)
  • hannahholley
    hannahholley Posts: 5 Member
    I'm doing cardio and lifting I also will target my abs and legs yesterday I worked arms in the morning and went for a run in the afternoon I will try to take rest days but then I feel .. I don't know maybe guilty ? for not working out since I'm trying to lose weight and build muscle even when I'm done with a workout I feel like I should be doing more
  • tomato915
    tomato915 Posts: 40
    I'm doing cardio and lifting I also will target my abs and legs yesterday I worked arms in the morning and went for a run in the afternoon I will try to take rest days but then I feel .. I don't know maybe guilty ? for not working out since I'm trying to lose weight and build muscle even when I'm done with a workout I feel like I should be doing more

Maybe you can do what I do? Just do pure cardio while you're resting your muscles from lifting?
  • hannahholley
    hannahholley Posts: 5 Member

Maybe you can do what I do? Just do pure cardio while you're resting your muscles from lifting?

sounds good today I'm doing alot of stretching I really want to get my flexibility back to what it used to be
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Given enough sleep and proper nutrition, I think the need for rest days are highly over-stated.

Most people are well served by listening to their body. Things like heavy legs are a good indicator of under-recovery.