Ordering off the Kids Menu?

Options
So I'm due to enjoy a dinner with an old friend in Sydney tommorow, and it is also a rest day for me as I have almost done myself an injury - so need to keep the calories down.

I chose Wagamama's as it is quite healthy and we love having it back home in England.

http://www.wagamama.com/our-menu

On the menu, they offer mini versions of the regular dinners - but it's on the kids menu. The calories are halved and I never end up finishing my portion usually in there anyway...

I was going to go for either:
http://www.wagamama.com/our-menu/mini-chicken-ramen
http://www.wagamama.com/our-menu/mini-grilled-chicken-katsu

My question is: would you order off of the children's menu or is that just wrong?

If I had to order off of the adult's I would go for the following and eat about 2/3 of it:

http://www.wagamama.com/our-menu/chicken-itame

Thoughts?

TL;DR = Is eating off the kids menu to save calories a bit scummy?

Replies

• deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I order off the kids menu all the time. Mostly because at certain restaurants the portions are to large for me adn if I take the rest home I rarely eat it. Why order food I'm not going to eat?
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it :) Look at it this way.....it's a waste of food as well as money if you're not going to eat a whole adult portion!

Do whatever you want to do, don't worry about what anyone else thinks :)
  • tfurrow64
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with ordering off of the kids menu, but if you feel uneasy, a simple tip to keep the calories down is ask for a take out box to come with your meal. As soon as the meal comes, put half in the take out box eat the other half. Then you can enjoy the take out portion at another time.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Some places have rules against it (you have to be under a certain age to qualify), but as long as the restaurant allows you to, there shouldn't be a problem. It's essentially the same as ordering a regular meal and taking half of it home. It's just cheaper to get less food initially.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    If you are really into Japanese food PM me. I am from Sydney, live in Tokyo now, and might as well be Japanese, so I can point you in the right directions :)

Jess xx

edit: I am basically saying 'please don't go to wagamama as it's not that great' haha!
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Some places have rules against it (you have to be under a certain age to qualify), but as long as the restaurant allows you to, there shouldn't be a problem. It's essentially the same as ordering a regular meal and taking half of it home. It's just cheaper to get less food initially.

In my experience the restaurants that have this rule, its due to the discounted price on the meal. They assume the kid will be with an adult that is paying for their own overly priced dinner to cover the loss in profit of the kids meal. Parents are more apt to dine out with their kids if the kids meal is lower in cost, folks love the "Kids eat free" deals.

Instead you may be able to ask for a lunch portion instead of a dinner portion. These are normally half the size, sadly they aren't normally half the price.

The to go box at the start of the meal can really help with overeating temptations, and you have a great leftover lunch for the next day.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Some places say you have to be under 12 to order off the menu, so watch out for that rule, but if it doesn't mention an age then I'd say just go for it to be honest! You're not causing anyone any harm, and if anything you'll save money for the place because you're not wasting food. All good!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If the place doesn't have a problem with it, then go for it. My mom had gastric bypass surgery and her drs gave her a medical card, saying something like due to dietry needs she was allowed to order of the kids meal.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I order kids' menu all the time.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Every place I have been to has the must be 12 and under age to have the kids menu.
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    Some restaurants reserve the kids menu just for kids...why don't you just ask the waiter. I've never personally order off the kids menu. Many restaurants here in the US have healthy heart portions or senior portions. But I would rather order off the main menu and ask for potatoes or rice to be left off and a double order or vegetables or sliced tomatoes be served instead. Most restaurants are fine making substitutions. I ask for a to go box and take off what I am not going to be eating before I even start eating . This keeps me from overeating because it tastes just too good! Eating out is no longer a challenge for me. Provided the restaurant has salads to choose from. Many times you can add chicken or shrimp to the salad which makes it perfect. Dressing on the side and no croutons . I also ask them to not bring the complimentary bread to the table .
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know some places will charge more for the kid items if an adult orders it.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't think that eating off of the kids' menu is wrong at all, but some places simply won't allow it. If we happen (on occasion) to go for fast food, I order from the kids' menu...my two year old loves this b/c he gets two "prizes" lol. When we go to an actual sit down restaurant I'll order a regular item and keep the rest for lunch the next day! Have a great time! :flowerforyou:
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    It depends on what it is.... If we go to a streak house I order a larger then normal steak and cut it into several pieces for several meals and take it home.... Easy lunch for the next few days lol

If its fish or something else I don't like heated up then I get childrens orders
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I do all the time, sometimes the portions are huge O_O
  • floodedlungs
    Options
    I usually just split an adult meal with a friend.
    But I'm sure there's nothing wrong with ordering from the kids' menu - you're still buying food from the restaurant, so why should they care?
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great Idea. I have never done it inside. but have done it in the drive thru. before.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If the restaurant cares (e.g. they have deliberately underpriced the kids' meals to draw in families) they will state for 12 and under only or somesuch, otherwise, order whatever food you want. There isn't a minimum $ order at most places, you could go in for a drink only, or a dessert, no different than that really.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do if there's something I want on it and I'm not too hungry. A lot of places I enjoy have age limits on kid's meals, though (I'm looking at you, D!ckey's. And they're really going to bleep out that restaurant name?) If not, I get a regular meal and take the extra home and have lunch or dinner the next day or my husband and I split a meal.