bad knees

Bad knees but I want to exercise. When the pool opens I spend alot of time moving in there. What is out there to burn carlories and not hurt my knees

Replies

• woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Walking?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Have you tried shadow boxing, walking or riding a stationary bike? All of these are low impact on the knees. :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    If walking doesn't bother your knees, I would start with that. (I have cranky knees, so I sympathize). Walking is good for the heart and lungs, and great for your mood. I've been adding in other things now, but I won't give up the walking.
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Ballroom dancing is pretty low impact.
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Def. walking!
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    As someone who has had bad knees most of my life I have found that an exercise that never bothered me and actually strengthened the knees was bicycling. If your knees are in real rough shape you may want to stick to flatter terrain of even try a stationary bike and when you feel comfortable then move to varied terrain or vary the program on the bike or up the resistance
  • hamsterlid
    hamsterlid Posts: 5 Member
    I have problems with one of my knees but I find cycling and elliptical good cardio that I can do for decent lengths of time. Cycling does start to hurt the knee after some time, but I just stop when that happens.
  • kNEWBrenda
    kNEWBrenda Posts: 25 Member
    I wear knee braces as I walk. I'm so tired of(licking) doctoring my wounds after I walk. I heard the eliptical is a good start
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Try the elliptical and also do strength training if you have access to gym. Continue with cycling whenever you can.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Rowing is good. You'll get just about your entire body involved, so it's not all on the knees.
  • andiecheyenne
    andiecheyenne Posts: 22 Member
    I have Osgood-Schlatter's in my left knee. It's definitely slowed me down. Last summer I started trying to lose weight, and I walked 2mi a day, if not every day then it was every other day. I did stretches before and after the walks. My PT (once I was officially diagnosed with it, my PCP sent me to a PT to help with the pain) gave me a bunch of exercises to do to ease the pain. He said once the pain is eased off, then it should help me with my weight loss. He told me to do a lot of hamstring and quad exercises. Try those... if anything, the pain can be eased off (if you have pain in them) and make sure if you walk you stretch before and after as a warm up and cool down.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Elliptical bikes are really gentle on the knees.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    I have bad knees that have gotten better since I started exercising. I finally get why all my doctors said that I had to strengthen the muscles around my knees to make them stop hurting less. I do a crossfit type class and modify any exercise that I find hurts my knees. One of the instructor is obsessed with jumping which is painful for me so instead I jog a lap around the gym. I don't know why this doesn't cause as many problems. Another cardio exercise I found that doesn't hurt is the rowing machine. It's total body and my knees don't hurt afterwards. Most find the elliptical easy on their knees but for me the traditional ones cause me problems. The ones I find that work best for me are the ones that are more a cross between the elliptical and cross country ski motions. If you have the money to invest, see about getting a personal trainer, even just once a week or two weeks. They should be able to structure a workout that works for your limitations. Take what you learn with them and build your own workouts on the days you're not with them.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    I have extremely bad knees. I started by walking with Leslie Sansome in my living room, then on to basic Tae Bo with Billy Blanks, now I am doing the 30 day shred level 1 and modifying as needed to protect my knees.
    If you can afford it, try a recumbent bike, either stationary or conventional... it changes your position so you are pedaling out in front so it takes most of the pressure off of your knees.